[1.0.4] Sentar Expansion - A remake of Krag's PlanetFactory planets.

Borisbee

This is a remake of all the original PlanetFactory planets. It adds 1 gas giant, 8 planets, and 3 moons. I have created biomes for each of body, and have taken some liberties with Barney, Slade, and Joker as the original stars they were orbiting I decided not to include as I didn't feel it necessary and I think they were more examples than anything else. I put Barney in a far orbit around the sun, with Slade and Joker as it's two moons. I'm not certain I'll keep them there, but it will work for now. Some of you may notice there is no Moonar. I was going to include it as well but realized it was a rather poor quality planet and I think it was just a quick example thrown together by Krag so I decided not to include.

I have done rather extensive testing on these planets and I think they are rather stable but may need some tweaking here or there. I have also tried to do my best to make them as accurate to the originals as I could get them. This has been many many hours of work involved with this project and I hope someone can enjoy the fruit of my labor.

Requires Kopernicus found here https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/releases/tag/beta-02-4

Download

http://spacedock.info/mod/238/Sentar%20Expansion

Javascript is disabled. View full album

License is GPL

Edited by Borisbee
Updated download link to spacedock

This is what I've been waiting for. Thank you so much. I'd rep you ten times, but I can't. https://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbowing_100-106.gifhttps://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbowing_100-106.gifhttps://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbowing_100-106.gif

I'll probably send Kron 5 to Ablate. I've got no idea how I'm gonna do that because of the heat and everything, but it's an awesome target.

Yea Ablate is interesting due to the heat issues. I've started reading your Kron 4 mission and will look forward to Kron 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much, I wanted to play with these planets.

No problem! Glad you enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you install?

Like literally every other mod, put the folder in your GameData folder.

Great Work!

My system, at moment, have: OuterPlanets + KerbalPlus + ChaniPack and Trans-Keptunian Planets, with Custom Asteroids for mining :D

For me: More Planets => More Challenges and FUN!

I will test your mod tonight!

Thank you for this "remake"!

Yea Ablate is interesting due to the heat issues. I've started reading your Kron 4 mission and will look forward to Kron 5.

I hope you'll like it.

Ablate is a type of body that should be stock. It's basically a Vulcanoid and one of the ultimate targets in the game. Probably the best planetary body any modder ever envisioned.

witch folder.

the one by that spooky haunted house, I saw it a few houses down from your place :)

Ok serious now

Modding in KSP is simple, unzip the mod (with a tool like 7zip or winzip etc.) then drag and drop all the folders and dll files the mod gives you into the KSP/gamedata folder. If the mod folder itself is called gamedata either drop it into the main KSP folder (and tell your pc to merge it) or drop all its contents into the KSP/gamedata folder.

I don't see Thud... Just Ringle and Skelton. No Erin-Pock, either. They are in the folder, but I don't see them.

0DB0252638BAD67DC432E81D916DD05B5ED695B7

Inaccessable (it needs correction, because it says Inaccessible and the original was with a), Ascension, Ablate and Barney system are there.

Edited by lajoswinkler

error #1: Ablate hasn't been modelled true to the original.

This is what it used to look like.

ablate_detail_lw.png

This is what it looks right now.

404430676DA21B0C6BCA999E79804AB33A89CC94

Old one had a discrepancy between how it appeared in map view and in reality. Also, it was much more spherical which is realistic; this much ablation would mean its orbit would be unstable and the body would be gone in a matter of centuries. It was jagged on the order of several metres, with a specific ground texture.

Borisbee, if you can, use the original maps. I presume you used the stuff visible from the map view. It was the map view that was supposed to look like the actual view.

BTW, the scatter is very nice, too bad it can't be set to be more depleted at the ablated zone.

error #2: Ablate is not tidally locked to Kerbol.

This would not make it ablated, so the whole concept is lost.

This is a view from close to its most ablated region. Kerbol can not set on a world tidally locked to it. It will only wobble if the body's inclination is different from 0°.

954F6AF6F4C991588656C5C1F257B2AAF0A0011F

Edited by lajoswinkler

lajoswinkler thanks for the feedback.

In the above pictures when you say "before" do you mean original planetfactory mod or a previous version of my mod? I will say that Ablate is very difficult to get correctly. Simply taking the original files and copying them in kopernicus doesn't work due to a number of issues so I had to try to work around them. The scaledspace I don't think is ever going to match up perfectly with the actual body due to how the flatten mod works. The flatten is applied after the prefab so Kopernicus isn't aware that the planet should be smoothed in scaledspace. I do want to try to get as best I can though because Ablate and Inaccessable are the two most interesting planets and a main reason why I decided to try to recreate the pack.

Ablate not being tidally locked is a simple screwup on my part and I'll get that fixed.

As far as the other planets not appearing, not sure what could be causing that. I did plan to upload a small change to move barney's orbit a bit inward so it's not overlapping with OPM so I'll take a look and double check everything.

Unfortunately I just noticed this as I was heading off to bed so I'll have to take a look at it later when I wake up.

Edited by Borisbee

No problem. I plan to go there, so I'll search for bugs and report them here.

I meant the original, as Krag envisioned it. Check out this small thread, I gave lots of data on the original one.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65568-Landing-on-Ablate

I've pruned your mod (for RAM's sake) so now I have only Ablate, Inaccessable and Ascension (because KSP really needs a comet).

Sentar itself was just an experiment with a second gas giant and concepts like a subsatellite (Pock), ringed satellite (Ringle), enormous mountain (Skelton) and another star (Serious and Joker), but it wasn't realistic enough. Outer Planets Mod did it way better so I don't need to repeat it all over again as I've visited it back when Krag released it.

I have taken a look at Ablate and I am not seeing a huge difference between my version and the original. Here is a quick comparison album I made showing mine and the original PF straight from a .90 install. They aren't perfect, but it's impossible to get them to match up exactly and I feel this is pretty close.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

However taking a closer look at a fresh download I found some pretty serious issues that needed fixing with other things.

I fixed Ablate not being tidally locked, fixed a few typos in config files causing Erin, Thud, and Pock not to load, and I fixed several biomes from being reversed from what they should be.

Let me know if anything else seems out of place.

Hm, back then I got this picture by zooming out from the vessel as much as I could. I think.

ablate_detail_lw.png

Try to do that and see if they're the same. The weird looking Ablate from the map view was not Krag's intention. It was a remnant, and the thing you see here is how it looked like for real.

I'm not sure how did you get this PlanetFactory Ablate pqs view to look like that. :huh:

Edited by lajoswinkler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.