Mod Vs Mod! Kerbal Foundries vs KerbinSide Air-Race at Black Krags

CHALLENGE CLOSED!

Thank you, everyone who competed! A new challenge is in the works--stay tuned!

LEADERBOARD

[TABLE=class: outer_border, width: 500, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]Wheesley Class

[TABLE=class: grid, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]the_bT[/TD]

[TD]2:29.96[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]greydragon70[/TD]

[TD]3:10.22[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AlphaAsh[/TD]

[TD]3:49.82[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Jatwaa[/TD]

[TD]3:53.98[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]smjjames[/TD]

[TD]3:55.56[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LitaAlto[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Whiplash Class

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 0, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]the_bT[/TD]

[TD]1:38.18[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]greydragon70[/TD]

[TD]1:47.74[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AlphaAsh[/TD]

[TD]2:40.44[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LitaAlto[/TD]

[TD]2:55.42[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]smjjames[/TD]

[TD]3:09.34[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lego8_bit[/TD]

[TD]5:26.68[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

ASSORTED ACCOLADES

The Coolest Looking Design

Slipper Mk 2.5 by Lego8_bit

The Weirdest Looking Design

Landstrider by smjjames

The Most Massive Craft

Landstrider by smjjames

Funniest Entry

THE SquattyPulsor Mk 101 by Alpha_Ash

OFFICIAL RULES

Required Mods

Parts Rules

1. Use the Kerbal Foundries Anti-Gravioli Repulsors.

• You must use the suspension-mounted kind, not the surface-mounted kind.
  • They must be visible during flight. They cannot be placed in any fairing, service bay, or other container intended to reduce drag.

2. Use any two of the following stock air-breathing engines:

• J-33 Wheesley.
  • J-X4 Whiplash.
  • R.A.P.I.E.R.

Your engine choice determines your race category. Do not mix and match!

(Note: Whiplashes and R.A.P.I.E.R.s are considered the same engine for this challenge, as their performance is similar.)

No other engine is allowed.
RCS thrusters are permitted.

3. Wings are prohibited.

• Up to two control surfaces, with a lift rating of 0.5 each, are permitted. This includes A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S.

4. Cheats are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to:

• All mods that are overpowered or "cheats" by their creator's admission.
  • Using the cheats in the Alt-F12 menu, such as Infinite Fuel, Infinite RCS, and Hack Gravity.

5. All other mods are allowed, regardless of purpose.

Race Rules

1. There are two heats for this race: The Wheesley class, and the Whiplash class.

• If your craft uses J-33 Wheesley engines, you will compete among other Wheesley craft.
  • If your craft uses J-X4 Whiplash or R.A.P.I.E.R. engines, you will complete among other Whiplash craft.

2. To start the race:

• Click the Air-Race button to show the Air-Race window.
  • Click the "I Want to Race!" button at the bottom of the window.
  • Proceed to the Start gate. The race begins when you pass through it.

3. You must touch down at least once per gate.

• A touch-down is when your repulsors are actively repulsing the ground.

4. You must pass through all 10 gates and the Finish gate.

5. Neither your craft nor your Kerbals may sustain damage.

6. The fastest craft in each class is the winner.

Assorted Accolades

We will also be recognizing the following entries:

• The Coolest Looking Design
    (as judged by Cuzican Aerospace)
  • The Weirdest Looking Design
    (as judged by Cuzican Aerospace)
  • The Most Massive Craft
    (according to the Craft Stats menu, MechJeb, or KER)

All entries in this challenge are automatically entered into the Coolest/Weirdest contest.

To enter in the Most Massive Craft contest, take a screenshot of the Craft Stats menu ("i" icon in the lower right corner of the Editor) and include it with your entry.

You must successfully complete the challenge to be eligible!

How To Enter

Post a reply to this thread with:

• A video clip of the race, with the Air-Race window open from start to finish.
    If you do not have a VGR already, a free recommendation is Open Broadcaster Software: https://obsproject.com/

Optionally, you may include:

• A screenshot of your Craft Stats menu for this craft.
  • A link to the .craft file.
  • Assorted comments as appropriate. (Keep it clean though!)

You may enter as many times and as in many categories as you wish. Just, don't bug me. :wink:

Entries are due no later than:

• Monday, August 17 @ Midnight UTC
  • Sunday, August 16 @ 8 PM Eastern / 5 PM Pacific

May the best Kerbal win!

Edited by LitaAlto

No damage at all in order to qualify? Come on, where's the fun in that? :)

Also, what about those omnidirectional repulsors that will come soon in KF?

The fun will be all the footage of explosions that will come shortly thereafter. :cool:

I'm really looking forward to checking out the omnidirectional repulsors, too--and they might be used in the next race. But unless lo-fi is dropping a new build in a few days, I'm not planning on allowing them.

Entry by Jolly Roger Aerospace

Image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvjgrvcxikj6sem/black%20krags%20final.jpg?dl=0

Craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2udr1k3q0ikg1r/lawndart%202.craft?dl=0

Parts Used:

Mk1 cockpit

3 SAS units

1 battery

4 RTG's

1 liquid fuel tank (with only 160 units of fuel)

2 hover pads

3 intakes

4 struts

1 whiplash engine

2 control surfaces (.18 lift each)

Race Time:1:47.74

Top speed: 580m/s

Average speed: Mach 1

Video:

Edited by greydragon70

Parts Used:

Mk1 cockpit

3 SAS units

1 battery

4 RTG's

1 liquid fuel tank (with only 160 units of fuel)

2 hover pads

3 intakes

4 struts

1 whiplash engine

2 control surfaces (.18 lift each)

Race Time:1:47.74

And to think, I was originally considering having a part count limit. "Make them build something 25 parts or less. That'll show 'em." :P

Very well done, my friend. Now to see if I can make a faster craft....

Wheesley entry from Jolly Roger Aerospace

This is the same basic craft as my Whiplash entry with a Wheesley, solar panels and more power generation.

Part count: 34(parts listed on image)

Image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xshke83iur42odh/B-K%20Wheesley.png?dl=0

Craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0g60ay4sxhlu730/lawndart%203.craft?dl=0

Race Time: 3:10.22

Top Speed: 247m/s

Average Speed: 200m/s

Video:

Edited by greydragon70

I present the Insane Phantom XL, my (first) entry for the Wheesley class.

4m 31.62 secs.

So yeah, need to work on that :P

Wheesley class, race 2 with the Fluteybird. Just two repulsors at near max settings, rapidly draining power reserves and lots of fuel taken out of the tank.

4m 4.66 secs. Much better.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Is clipping through the gate pylon cones okay? That gate 5 is a tricky one. I have a great racing craft, just need some practice in, what with my (not so great) piloting skills).

Any tips for between gates 5 and 6? I keep swinging wide.

I am crashing into things, A LOT, the ground mostly. XD

I'm trying to get a completed race before I start recording with this redesigned craft (which is a speedy little thing), or maybe I'll start recording anyway, I dunno.

Edited by smjjames

Best I can say is start you turn early by keeping your nose pointed at the inside of the left cone.

As you go through the gate, point at the next gate and aim for the inside of the turn.

If you know how much your craft drifts you can kinda gauge where to start turning.

Hope this helps.

Watch my Whiplash video, you'll see how I shaved most of the corners by doing that.

Is clipping through the gate pylon cones okay? That gate 5 is a tricky one. I have a great racing craft, just need some practice in, what with my (not so great) piloting skills).

I am crashing into things, A LOT, the ground mostly. XD

I'm trying to get a completed race before I start recording with this redesigned craft (which is a speedy little thing), or maybe I'll start recording anyway, I dunno.

Cone clipping is OK, if only because I really don't want to rules-lawyer this challenge to death. :D

And greydragon70's advice is pretty good--that's what I typically try to do, with some success, more or less.

As for whether to record--that depends on whether you're up for posting your failures later. Sometimes the failures are more spectacular than the successes.

And the video footage I've got... well, I have a certain pop-culture parody in mind that has been attempted in KSP a couple of times, but mine's got enough of a twist that I think it'll be particularly funny.

I didn't start recording the screwups/crashes until after I finished a first run.

Anyways, heres my first attempt with the whiplash engine, 3min 9secs, I'm going to try and do better.

Edit: I was actually airborne quite a lot, but I tried to get ground contact at least once between gates.

I can't tell if it's my piloting skills or my craft is simply unable to do the drift between gates 4 and 5, or rather the transition between gates 3 and 4 because those keep getting me as far as time.

Edit: Are there categories for wounded finishes? Because I smashed the engines when I was SO CLOSE to finishing. Ended up drifing across the finish line, lol.

Edited by smjjames

Arg!, I can't beat my best time, lol! I've tried multiple times and some of the times I was actually doing well until murphy decided to strike.

I'll upload a montage of fails, lol.....

In your video you didn't do too bad except for that one sharp turn. Try these two things.

1) Use two control surfaces. one vertical, the other horizontal. That will give you better pitch and yaw control and will cut some of the drift.

2)When coming out of gate 4 swing wide right so you have a little more room to turn.

I present the Repulsive Leopard 2000. Two turbo-jets make this an insanely difficult thing to fly. And when I say fly, I mean there are a couple of places where I actually struggled to get it back on the ground.

2 mins 40.44 secs.

So Judge LitaAlto, legit, because I genuinely tried to keep it on the ground and did hit the ground between every gate, or disqualified because of the excessive air-time at Gate 10?

Edited by AlphaAsh

I present the Repulsive Leopard 2000. Two turbo-jets make this an insanely difficult thing to fly. And when I say fly, I mean there are a couple of places where I actually struggled to get it back on the ground.

2 mins 40.44 secs.

So Judge LitaAlto, legit, because I genuinely tried to keep it on the ground and did hit the ground between every gate, or disqualified because of the excessive air-time at Gate 10?

Take a look at mine, the air time is actually similar to yours and Sometimes flew (well, power glided) through the gates. If the excessive air time you're worried about is the craft bouncing off the ground repeatedly, my craft was doing that between gate 10 and finish as well.

Also, you probably should get an accolade for doing the challenge at dusk.

2 mins 40.44 secs.

I'm now tinkering with my own twin turbo-jet craft, and I've reached the same conclusion--it's REALLY REALLY hard.

Which means I will probably base a future challenge off that premise. Mwahahahahahaha. (Aside: We need a devil Kerbal smiley.)

It's legit--you hit that one ridge just past Gate 9. Yes, it meant you didn't touch down again until just before the Finish, but you satisfied the touchdown rule regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you probably should get an accolade for doing the challenge at dusk.

He did that to mock me. Dusk is when Valentina crashed during her attempt at the run.

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING. *runs off crying*

He did that to mock me. Dusk is when Valentina crashed during her attempt at the run.

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING. *runs off crying*

I was testing the point lights on top of the pylons to see if they provided any real illumination. Alas no. Lighting in Unity is a pain in the beepside. I need to rethink the beacons you wanted. They may end up as a separate track-side object.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.