Mod Vs Mod! Kerbal Foundries vs KerbinSide Air-Race at Black Krags

I'm now tinkering with my own twin turbo-jet craft, and I've reached the same conclusion--it's REALLY REALLY hard.

It was pretty difficult once you got going at speed. Also, as you can see from the fail montage, I tried using tail fins, but it was even harder to stay stable.

I was testing the point lights on top of the pylons to see if they provided any real illumination. Alas no. Lighting in Unity is a pain in the beepside. I need to rethink the beacons you wanted. They may end up as a separate track-side object.

Here is an idea... could you merge either Surface Lights or Aviation lights mods into yours to at least add light to the tops and bases of the cones?

They are very light mods.

Also will it be possible, someday, to make our own courses?

It was pretty difficult once you got going at speed. Also, as you can see from the fail montage, I tried using tail fins, but it was even harder to stay stable.

Keep in mind that the more weight you have, the more inertia your craft will have. So your engines and control surfaces have to work harder to overcome that. Thus the drift factor. The more you drift the harder it is to turn. Maybe try putting both control surfaces vertical(90 degrees), one on each outside nacelle.

Edited by greydragon70

Question here, are tweakscaled control surfaces okay? I'm not sure how the lift rating scales along with the size.

Edit: Decided to go ask about how the lift rating scales along with the size on the tweakscale thread.

Edited by smjjames

Question here, are tweakscaled control surfaces okay? I'm not sure how the lift rating scales along with the size.

Tweakscale raises drag and lift proportionately, so I'm thinking maybe you'd have to calculate that and keep the lift under the .5 rule set?

Tweakscale raises drag and lift proportionately, so I'm thinking maybe you'd have to calculate that and keep the lift under the .5 rule set?

It does it poportionally, okay good.

Also, the BigS shuttle tailfin would have to be ridiculously tiny, 14% to pass the .5 rule, lol.

Edited by smjjames

I was testing the point lights on top of the pylons to see if they provided any real illumination. Alas no. Lighting in Unity is a pain in the beepside. I need to rethink the beacons you wanted. They may end up as a separate track-side object.

I was hoping to keep that a secret. :P

Here's an evolution from an idea of a craft that I had this morning. It's pretty horrible for a racer, but hey, I had a cool idea that I wanted to do. :)

Definitely contenders for both Weirdest Looking Craft and Most Massive Craft. :)

BEHOLD MY CREATION the slipper mk 2.5

0aff0c5fc2a99efaed998e59542da852.png

\/ Mass and part number below \/

e5179e4e33887bb1af03307b2a018d24.jpg

I do have a storage compartment that i open to reveal 2 generators to keep power to the anti grav drives and a fuel tank for the generators combined with the parts and mass

STATUS* 10/10 gates complete 5:26:68 was my time heres the video the craft file the cockpit and other science bits are from OPT, KAX

http://www./download/8k8feq351fc5nrp/Slipper+Mk2_5.craft

oh i forgot i made a few teaks to the design i added more hovers to the front and the mid section of the craft

here they are

Edited by Lego8_bit

https://i.gyazo.com/0aff0c5fc2a99efaed998e59542da852.png

https://i.gyazo.com/e5179e4e33887bb1af03307b2a018d24.jpg

I do have a stoarge compartment that i open to reveal 2 generators to keep power to the anti grav drives and a fuel tank for the genorators combined with the parts and mass

Cool! Got race footage? I can't wait to see it!

https://i.gyazo.com/0aff0c5fc2a99efaed998e59542da852.png

https://i.gyazo.com/e5179e4e33887bb1af03307b2a018d24.jpg

I do have a storage compartment that i open to reveal 2 generators to keep power to the anti grav drives and a fuel tank for the generators combined with the parts and mass

STATUS* 7/10 gates complete critical flaw when heading down hill keeps blowing up every time when i hit a bump :/

possible solution : "drive backwards...." jeb

What mod is the cockpit from?

As 2 engines are allowed, I use 2 Whiplash Turbo Ramjets. Gotta go fast!

Behold the Fusion R2:

D3nNa9k.jpg

Time: 1:38.18

I use Kerbal Foundries beta 1.8g. The repulsors in 1.9a seem to behave really weird for me.

In any case, due to the higher speed and higher fuel mass for 2 engines, I had to increase the number of repulsors to keep the craft from hitting the ground. I decided to arrange them in a wing like configuration near the center of mass to avoid the tail-strike front-flip effect that can occur with repulsors that are far behind the CoM.

i had that issue untill i used sas and 2 canards in the rear but also you might want to look at RULE 3...

I use 2 control surfaces with a rating of 0.18 each. One for pitch and one for yaw. They are near the back clipped into the tank for lack of a better place to stick them. Control surfaces will only help to recover from a flip, not avoid the initial impulse though...

I decided, if there are 2 categories to race in, I race in both. So I fitted Wheesley engines to the Fusion R2. I had to remove 2 repulsors because the Wheesleys were unable to support 4 at once. I also removed the ram intakes as I don't really need them.

Thus the Fusion R2.w was created. W is for Wheesley instead of ... well... Whiplash. I am that stupid. Shut up.

Race:

Time: 2:29.96

I figured there was no rule against picking up speed before starting the race so I did that. I discovered later that this burned to much of my batteries so I had to adjust some repulsor settings mid flight to avoid running out of juice. Managed to make it across the line though so all is well.

Well, I guess I need to update my entries and since no one has done it yet I made a R.A.P.I.E.R. CRAFT.

I will add pics, parts, and specs in the morning-ish.

For now I'll say I got Both Wheesley and Whiplash at or under 25 parts.

Race times:

2:40.04 Wheesley

2:14.80 R.A.P.I.E.R.

1:47.74 Whiplash

Videos:

Wheesley:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fle4pyb72g6p7bt/Black%20Krags%20Wheesley%20Class.mp4?dl=0

Whiplash:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ep0jfduhv44g2jd/Mod%20Vs%20Mod%21%20Anti-Grav%20Air-Race%20At%20The%20Black%20Krags.mp4?dl

R.A.P.I.E.R.:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wenq423adthte5/BKRapier.mp4?dl=0

Edited by greydragon70

I'm trying to make an entry with the wheesley one (since I haven't made one yet), but I'm having some problems with flipping atm.

Edit: Got a pretty good time of 3 minutes 55.56 seconds, however, not entirely sure about touching the ground between a few gates.

Edit2: Between gates 8 and 9 I'm a little ehh on, though I was on the ground before the hill sloped away under me.

Edit3: Also, just to note, I'm using the delta deluxe winglets scaled down a bit to 76%

Edited by smjjames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.