Mod Vs Mod! Kerbal Foundries vs KerbinSide Air-Race at Black Krags

Finally managed a Wheesley run in a dual engined quad-repulsor in 3min 49.82 secs. My latest design is a beaut.

squatty.jpg

Litterally minutes of blood and sweat and decades of engineering experience went in to designing this both innovative and not butt-ugly craft.

Designed around a cheap 0.625 KashCorp cockpit that should have really been scrapped, the tiny control compartment is completely surrounded by a 1.25 tank of liquid death. Slapped to the back are two pushy-forward things that glow and slapped to the side are four pushy-down things that also glow.

Slung under-side and clipped into the tank of liquid death is an auxiliary 0.625 tank of liquid death supporting an array of excessive power storage and SAS, providing ridiculous control authority and extremely short-lived energy supply for the pushy-down things.

So yeah, I used some KAP parts and offset a lot.

Here's the run. Check out Gate 5 for my self-nomination for the "Luckiest B*****d Still Alive" award.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Not bad there AlphaAsh. :)

I also had a similar near miss with gate 4, though not quite as badass. I was planning on going to ground and whipping around that pylon (on the correct side obviously) then realized that it wasn't going to work out, aborted, and tried to pull up as fast as I could.

Finally managed a Wheesley run in a dual engined quad-repulsor in 3min 49.82 secs. My latest design is a beaut.

http://www.kashcorp.co.uk/squatty.jpg

Litterally minutes of blood and sweat and decades of engineering experience went in to designing this both innovative and not butt-ugly craft.

Designed around a cheap 0.625 KashCorp cockpit that should have really been scrapped, the tiny control compartment is completely surrounded by a 1.25 tank of liquid death. Slapped to the back are two pushy-forward things that glow and slapped to the side are four pushy-down things that also glow.

Slung under-side and clipped into the tank of liquid death is an auxiliary 0.625 tank of liquid death supporting an array of excessive power storage and SAS, providing ridiculous control authority and extremely short-lived energy supply for the pushy-down things.

So yeah, I used some KAP parts and offset a lot.

Here's the run. Check out Gate 5 for my self-nomination for the "Luckiest B*****d Still Alive" award.

Did you see my Whiplash entry? I hit the pylon and got whipped 90 degrees off-course, but stayed in one piece.

I think Jebediah Kerman gets "Luckiest B*****d Still Alive" by default.

I'm nominating you for "Funniest Entry Post," though, for certain.

And with that, this challenge is now closed! Many congratulations to the_bT, greydragon70, and Alpha_Ash for placing high in both categories; to Lego8_bit for Coolest Looking Design; to smjjames for Weirdest Looking Design and Most Massive Craft, and to everyone else who participated! I'm very happy about how this one turned out, and I'm already thinking ahead to my next challenge. Stay tuned!

Hey all, just an update on the next challenge--it's in the works, and will still be Kerbal Foundries vs KerbinSide Air-Race. But I probably won't post the challenge until the first weekend in September as I've got plans for this weekend.

I'm also thinking about what the challenge after that will be like, and I think I have a very interesting idea, but... I'm not going to share it just yet. It'll be slightly more involved, so I want to try to work out the kinks in advance.

Would it be useful to have a standalone thread for discussing these challenges?

• 2 weeks later...

A general update: My day job has been particularly brutal and my head hasn't been into working on the third challenge. I haven't given up on it, but I suspect we're looking at the next challenge happening in mid-October. I apologize for the further delay, but I promise this upcoming challenge will be particularly interesting, and I won't be keeping you in the dark for long.

Hmm i wonder if you can do an all electric hovercraft challenge even with electric air intake engines there is a mod im using for that :D

I'm mean enough that I'd insist on ion engines. :D

Although there is Porkjet's Atomic Age mod, with its nuclear engines--and that includes a nuclear jet. And the Mk2 Expansion has a nuclear jet as well.

Which mod are you referring to, though?

heres the modpack where it came from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/119735-1-0-4-Instell-Incorporated-Experimental-Technologies ( SCRAMJET mod ) most of the mod pack involves hypersonics engines, which dont work unless your going insanly fast. exept for the electric motor that works just like the basic jet engine but with 75 thrust. and its electric ill post i video on this to show ya...

id also suggest you also get near future electrical to keep the consumption of the power to this bad-boy down along with the hovers to add on to the power consumption. making a design spasificly on elecric is gonna be fun and a bit tricky.

Edited by Lego8_bit

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I have been working on the next challenge, but I'm having some extreme difficulties, and I'm not yet sure if it's because of Kerbal Foundries (version 1.9g) or KerbinSide Air-Race (version 1.7).

At the risk of giving away some of my plans--can any of you successfully start the race at Dundard's Edge, using any of your previous anti-grav racecraft?

Mine are doing one of two things. It either rolls 90 degrees at the end of the runway, or pitches upward just as you start the descent into the river valley.

Hey all, I have been working on the next challenge, but I'm having some extreme difficulties, and I'm not yet sure if it's because of Kerbal Foundries (version 1.9g) or KerbinSide Air-Race (version 1.7).

At the risk of giving away some of my plans--can any of you successfully start the race at Dundard's Edge, using any of your previous anti-grav racecraft?

Mine are doing one of two things. It either rolls 90 degrees at the end of the runway, or pitches upward just as you start the descent into the river valley.

I suspect it's some of the recent changes to Kerbal Foundries. I'll do some testing as well.

I suspect it's some of the recent changes to Kerbal Foundries. I'll do some testing as well.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :D

I'm going to be out of town for a week but will try to check in here. Once I'm home, if we figure out what's happening with the repulsors, I'll finish up my work and release the challenge.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.