KSP won't run correctly on Windows 10 for me.

Edit: Please see solution in Post #4

Help! I bought KSP over two and a half years ago from the KSP store. It always ran correctly, until now. I upgraded my computer to Windows 10, and now the video freezes upon loading. The game isn't even crashing... I can hear the intro song, but the window freezes on the loading screen. It is unresponsive except for being able to be closed. I don't know how to diagnose this problem.

I uninstalled the previous installation including the saved game, all mods, and all files left over. I re-downloaded and reinstalled the game from scratch. I’ve changed render quality to “fastest.†My game's resolution is 1600x900, but it happens in other resolutions too. I’m launching the game from KSPLauncher. I’m running the game on a Surface Pro 2 with 128GB and 4GB of RAM. It ran fine before in Windows 8.1, but not now!

Please help!

Edited by Quantum Jim

During the upgrade process to Windows 10, your original video drivers (that worked on 8.1) are usually uninstalled and replaced with generic Microsoft ones.

Since the Surface Pro 2 uses the Intel HD Graphics 4400, you'll need to go to the Intel website and download new drivers that are compatible with Windows 10.

EDIT: See if this link helps - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit

Edited by sumghai

During the upgrade process to Windows 10, your original video drivers (that worked on 8.1) are usually uninstalled and replaced with generic Microsoft ones.

Since the Surface Pro 2 uses the Intel HD Graphics 4400, you'll need to go to the Intel website and download new drivers that are compatible with Windows 10.

EDIT: See if this link helps - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit

Thank you sir! That did not work.

I installed those drivers, but it was hard. I first tried to install that driver via setup.exe. However, it returned the error message, "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer." Next, I tried using the Intel Driver Update Utility, but it still shows no available updates. Finally I forced the display driver to install via the device manager. (I used the "have disk" option in the wizard and pointed it to the graphics subdirectory of the driver's folder.)

I verified that that new drivers were indeed installed by comparing the driver date and version number with the original values. Then I rebooted my Surface Pro 2 and verified the new drivers were installed again. However, there was no change in KSP's behavior. I still get a stuck loading screen; although, I hear the intro music after the normal loading time. The new cursor (since KSP 1.0) also works. But nothing else shows up. :-(

Thank you for trying to help me out, anyway. I appreciate it. :-)

Edited by Quantum Jim

I figured it out! I went into the KerbalSpaceProgram folder and unchecked the option to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows 7. Hopefully this helps someone else with these problems. Should I revert my graphics drivers or keep the current ones?

Excellent that it's working, and thank you so much for posting how you fixed it. I'm sure that will be useful as people continue to update their systems.

As for your video drivers, if they are the ones designed for your video card under Windows 10, then you're best off all around using those drivers. Your system as a whole ought to get better use out of your video card than using default/generic drivers.

Cheers,

~Claw

Quantum Jim, I am most relieved to hear that you have resolved your issue.

I'll also echo Claw's statements in that it is better to use Intel's own Win 10 drivers than the generic Microsoft ones*.

*The MS ones exist simply as a stop gap measure, to allow you to later grab the official Intel drivers.

• 1 month later...

Hey, sorry for replying to a post from so long ago, but I am having a similar problem and want to try and turn off the option to run in compatibility mode for windows 7. The only problem is, I have no idea how to get to the place to do that. Could you tell me where it is?

Hey, sorry for replying to a post from so long ago, but I am having a similar problem and want to try and turn off the option to run in compatibility mode for windows 7. The only problem is, I have no idea how to get to the place to do that. Could you tell me where it is?

Right-click on the shortcut to the game, and select properties from the context menu.

Under the Compatibility tab, you should be able to untick the Run this program in compatibility mode for... option.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.