The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

First launch, blew the Launchpad up, it got off the ground OK but a staging error later on (there only about 50 stages gimme a break) caused fairing loss. Back to the VAB for some more launch clamps and staging rearrangement, second launch 100km orbit, at the moment it is 350 odd parts (200 or so in the cargo - 2 rovers). It has no RCS and nearly all control came from the engine gimbals. 100+t into orbit. Left is the transfer stage 47t and the payload 58t. Do you think an S3-7200 and a rhino will get it to Duna?

Edit: Oh it's 2/3 scale same as the Ares 1, uses the same SRB's in fact.

Hey man, what is that beast? And what are you putting into orbit?

Hey man, what is that beast? And what are you putting into orbit?

Thats the Ares V I asked you for some help with last week, the cargo container is the one I sent you (needed more chutes, landing gear and airbrakes) I used the SRB's from the Ares 1 and snuck a mainsail into the bottom of the Mammoth. For something strapped together in an hour or so, it went really well, the main body is 5.6m wide, the SRB's were already the right size from the Ares 1, and the height is pretty bang on for 2/3 scale. Just tweaking now to get the dV for a Duna run. It's the launch vehicle for all the hardware in The Dunatian.

Thats the Ares V I asked you for some help with last week, the cargo container is the one I sent you (needed more chutes, landing gear and airbrakes) I used the SRB's from the Ares 1 and snuck a mainsail into the bottom of the Mammoth. For something strapped together in an hour or so, it went really well, the main body is 5.6m wide, the SRB's were already the right size from the Ares 1, and the height is pretty bang on for 2/3 scale. Just tweaking now to get the dV for a Duna run. It's the launch vehicle for all the hardware in The Dunatian.

Cool man. Yeah sorry I have been busy lately and my KSP time is all taken up.. So you sending everything to Duna by rocket? Even the hab?

Cool man. Yeah sorry I have been busy lately and my KSP time is all taken up.. So you sending everything to Duna by rocket? Even the hab?

I want it to be possible to send everything except the hab, no way to pretend the hab is anything other than a huge fairing if you try and launch it.

I want it to be possible to send everything except the hab, no way to pretend the hab is anything other than a huge fairing if you try and launch it.

Good idea. I was thinking it would be like launching a mushroom. I will take a look at the cargo later man.

October 1st! The movie is coming, got to get this thing out the door. I still don't have a Hermes, and an orbit. I have everything else to create a first run of the save. I need to find a good in game date for a Hermes Duna flyby, Kerbin Return, I need to finish the rover journey from Pathfinder (at anomaly 1) to DAV at Anomaly 2. I need some idea of the required dV to make the DAV.

Here is a link to the Hermes and it's three construction launches. Also am trying to make a one-launch version

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/shareables/236130-hermes-from-the-martian-book-version

Nothing shows for me, no images or releases, oh it was created 31 minutes ago

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link to the Hermes and it's three construction launches. Also am trying to make a one-launch version

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/shareables/236130-hermes-from-the-martian-book-version

Also do you want the Ares V I have been working on to do the construction launches?

Nothing shows for me, no images or releases, oh it was created 31 minutes ago

- - - Updated - - -

Also do you want the Ares V I have been working on to do the construction launches?

When the project gets approved on Curse let me know what you think of my launchers as I haven't had much time to really test them out (I do want to launch it all at once though, just not fun trying to dock the parts without adding a construction tug or more. Maybe just have the ship already in orbit in the save.

In the save file it will be on course for a Duna flyby in a matter of hours, I don't really need for it to be launched piece by piece on an Ares V, though it would be nice if it was. I need it to have a docking port free, in regular operation it would have a Duna Ascent Vehicle, Duna Descent Vehicle or resupply ship docked, maybe more than one at a time.

I can give you a download link for the Ares V if you want. It's working OK but not quite ready for release.

Yep it was approved, I have also made a project page for this.

In the save file it will be on course for a Duna flyby in a matter of hours, I don't really need for it to be launched piece by piece on an Ares V, though it would be nice if it was. I need it to have a docking port free, in regular operation it would have a Duna Ascent Vehicle, Duna Descent Vehicle or resupply ship docked, maybe more than one at a time.

I can give you a download link for the Ares V if you want. It's working OK but not quite ready for release.

Yep it was approved, I have also made a project page for this.

Technically the Hermes only moves under power without any other ship attached. The Duna Descent Vehicle should already be in Duna orbit (prior to original crew arrival) and then the Duna Ascent Vehicle docks, transfers crew, and then undocks. Also I think a crew return mission is launched from Kerbin once Hermes is back in Low Kerbin Orbit, but the book doesn't make it that far.

The craft does have docking ports on both sides and before I did some research on the design I had a transfer vehicle on the crew end and an ore-container counter-weight on the other end.

Thanks JAFO for the maps, I have updated the marked maps with approximate locations. I think it will take about 4 hours real time to drive. I made about an hour and a half with only one roll, should be a fun trip.

v9O0eOR.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ares 3 Base is at -15.4468 : -34.9365

That is a really good build, I can tell when someone puts a fine touch on things. The only problem is it's very....flexible. I am not sure whether that is by design. I am not sure if it fits my idea of what Hermes should be. I want something a bit more substantial and with more living space, maybe not as big as the movie version but a bit bigger.

That is a really good build, I can tell when someone puts a fine touch on things. The only problem is it's very....flexible. I am not sure whether that is by design. I am not sure if it fits my idea of what Hermes should be. I want something a bit more substantial and with more living space, maybe not as big as the movie version but a bit bigger.

Yah the docking ports do that. You could remove them and hyperedit the Hermes as one ship (without any docking ports, just all connected). And that seems to help. My original design has a science lab attached to the living quarters and then fuel in the tanks to counter balance it.

So I am looking at this day for the rendezvous Day 155, see a low dV transfer here

gSG6vbG.png

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a very basic Hermes as a stand in for doing the orbit, it's going to be tricky, I need to hyper edit Hermes in to orbit and a few hours before the save file time, either add the required speed to make the transfer or allow the player to run the transfer. I lean towards having the Hermes on a transfer already as otherwise there is no sense of urgency.

So I am looking at this day for the rendezvous Day 155, see a low dV transfer here

http://i.imgur.com/gSG6vbG.png

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a very basic Hermes as a stand in for doing the orbit, it's going to be tricky, I need to hyper edit Hermes in to orbit and a few hours before the save file time, either add the required speed to make the transfer or allow the player to run the transfer. I lean towards having the Hermes on a transfer already as otherwise there is no sense of urgency.

Hard Mode could have the Hermes on an intercept course with Kerbin in need of its supply rendezvous to burn to Duna.

Hard Mode could have the Hermes on an intercept course with Kerbin in need of its supply rendezvous to burn to Duna.

You want to make this hard for me don't you? ;) I have to admit the orbital stuff is not my forte and it will be a bit eyeballed because my math is to rusty for anything else. I need to get Goslash27 or someone like that to help me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.