The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

Good luck, I have been goofing off and building rotating rings

i know it's quite fascinating, i've been working on bearings for about a week now and i have some interesting advancements like free rotating bearings(no scaffolding required) and coaxial bearings for large mk 3 parts that fit on the ends of ships. (i could probably take any bearing and make it a free one but it requires some serious refitting)

instead of doing the simple thing- separating the ship in 3 with docking ports and attaching the third part to the rotating bearing you make an encasing to the rotating bearing and leave a gap with the offset tool, then after the bearing you connect the encasing into a single point(cubic octag) and attach the rest of the ship- that way you have 1 ship and 1 bearing.

Edit:

I have created a working stock Martian hab module with "Airlocks" they are moving doors and are easy to operate. 207 parts all in all AG 1-4 unlock the doors DOWNLOAD

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by EladDv

I just flew the "On_the_way_to_Duna_Flyby!.sfs" save, and here's my result. I came up with a procedure for the surface-to-Hermes flight, though it doesn't match the book exactly. I also finished my D-K-D-K test flight from a few days ago, where I used the same procedure. I contend that even in the book there must have been a coasting phase before the final engine cutoff. Consider- the MAV was doing 12 G's (120m/s^2) at one point, and had a total of about 6000m/s to burn. This would take 50 seconds at 12 G's. Even if the average was a third of this you would still have 9 minutes of coasting in the 12 minutes the book says it takes between launch and final engine shutdown. Anyway, my general procedure is:

1) Determine what the longitude of the MAV will be at launch time relative to the flyby periapsis of the Hermes. In my DKDK mission it was 90 degrees, in the mission below it is about 210 degrees.

2) From that determine the latitude that the MAV will be at when it is at the flyby periapsis longitude. In my DKDK mission, if you launch from 16 degrees North you will just be crossing the equator 90 degrees later. (then you would be at -16 degrees 180 degrees after launch, then back at the equator 270 degrees after launch, then back at +16 degrees after one full orbit.) In the mission below the MAV would be at about -10 degrees latitude at the flyby periapsis longitude, so I shifted the flyby South a bit. (Not enough as it turned out, I was eyeballing everything!)

3) Figure out how long before the flyby periapsis you have to launch by noting the orbit period at the flyby altitude, and how far you have to go from launch to intercept. In my DKDK mission, which had a lower flyby, it was only 21 minutes. In the mission below it was about 70 minutes. Launch due East into a circular orbit at that time.

4) If you did everything right the MAV's circular orbit will intersect the Hermes' flyby periapsis. Put a node at that point to match the Hermes' speed and direction. It will be a very big burn. If you get there a bit before the Hermes, end going a bit slower than the Hermes. If you get to the intersect a bit after Hermes, make the burn end with you going faster than Hermes.

5) After the big burn is done, (or modify it before it finishes if you are a Scott Manley-level pilot) set up and execute a small intercept burn that will leave you coasting to an intercept with the Hermes in, say, 40 minutes. You will have a final velocity-matching burn when you intercept the Hermes.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This was quite fun. Your Hermes is stable enough to not wobble during most maneuvers. It would be nice to put RCS on it, though that could be deadly with a ship that big.

OK, finished the Kermes 2 last night, behold her magnificence in orbit around Kerbin

http://addons-origin.cursecdn.com/files/2262/878/screenshot104.png

- - - Updated - - -

Total XenonGas: 115,500 (kg?)

http://addons-origin.cursecdn.com/files/2262/889/Kermes-Resources.png

Total Part Count & Mass: 661 parts @ 111.58 t

http://addons-origin.cursecdn.com/files/2262/890/Kermes-Info.png

Save file with Kermes and Kermes 2 in Kermes orbit:

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kermes/files/2262888/download

All these Hermes are looking great, but the part counts are way to high for a working ship that needs to manoeuvre and dock.

If there is one thing we have learned from making this is that being ferocious with part count is the key, otherwise the Kraken comes and gets your stuff, and for something that we want people to play it must work reliably every time for every system.

Edited by selfish_meme

Oh, I'm building them to match the film design, not to fly, though I was able to get Kermes 2 into a pretty high orbit around Kerbin, after about an hour of full thrust…

- - - Updated - - -

And FWIW, the K2 is about 100 parts less than the first design, so it's a significant reduction for the design, though I could loose some more baby fat for sure…

I redesigned the Hermes to be more Kerbal sized, and to also have a spinning wheel. Plus it now has a launcher and about 7000m/s dV with almost 1 TWR. I have renamed it the Kerbes. I think the part count is slightly better than the old one.

I realised the central docking ports were superfluous and I should just launch the whole core, it's only 53 tons empty.

It even behaves pretty good under thrust, which is important if you are going to have a spinning wheel.

SourMeekAfghanhound.gif

I just have to separate out the ring components and build a launcher for them

Edited by selfish_meme

Oh, I'm building them to match the film design, not to fly, though I was able to get Kermes 2 into a pretty high orbit around Kerbin, after about an hour of full thrust…

- - - Updated - - -

And FWIW, the K2 is about 100 parts less than the first design, so it's a significant reduction for the design, though I could loose some more baby fat for sure…

Yeah the main point of this is a playable save file for anyone playing the stock game. So we have to cater for all sorts of computers.

it's nice but the FPS is so low

Awesome video! Very well done. The maker says the low framerate of the ingame stuff was deliberately lowered to 15 FPS for some kind of cinematic effect. Sadly it does not work. Movies are usually in 24FPS and by lowering it artificially it makes the video skip and jerk and it just feel like theres something wrong with his PC/my internet.

Other than that it's very cleverly made.

Awesome video! Very well done. The maker says the low framerate of the ingame stuff was deliberately lowered to 15 FPS for some kind of cinematic effect. Sadly it does not work. Movies are usually in 24FPS and by lowering it artificially it makes the video skip and jerk and it just feel like theres something wrong with his PC/my internet.

Other than that it's very cleverly made.

i agree i noticed that it was deliberately but i do not agree with that choice since it gives the video a jerky feeling, also he could have used some mods like kerbal animation suite and EVA follower to make special animations and a more complex video but still a very clever video indeed, i am now done with building crafts for my new Martian project filming to start soon

• 1 month later...
So you may have noticed not much has happened here lately, personal stuff and the update to 1.05 have put a bit of a hold on things. I decided to leave it till after 1.1 drops because I don't want to rebuild al the craft for what might be a very short period. After I have rebuilt them I will make the release final from Beta. Edited by selfish_meme

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you.

The hab blowing up is not intentional, but welcome.

I am not sure, I did several saves, in some we renamed the big four, we had to play around with names to get the right occupations. In others we figured out how to give them the actual names and occupations, in some we left the big four at KSC and it was a totally random set of Kerbals, his BadS flag could well be set.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

Are these actually new mods or stock creations? Also why not use the hermes mod instead of kermes?

These are all stock craft, and thus using the Hermes mod is out. Adding mod craft adds dependancies, complexities and support. Anyone can play this, even on a potato laptop, the part numbers have been ruthlessly optimised. It's not quite finished yet, though playable, I was waiting for 1.1 to come before christmas, but it never did, and now looks to be a month or two away.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.