The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

I'll give it a go, and see where we end up, probably keep the weather stations, if I was sending stuff to mars the cargo modules would be buried and used as storage and living quarters, no waste, but that does mean sending earth moving equipment, which might negate any saving.

there is a finite limit to the number of parts in physics range before it gets pretty slow
Yeah, I see what you mean..

Awesome job you've done on the DDV debris.. a pity I had to remove it to get a reasonable framerate.. with my crappy old 1.73GHz Core 2 Duo laptop, each single step my Kerbal made to get to the rover took 12 seconds! I terminated the 5 items of debris, and it was back to my usual about 3 seconds.

The real bummer is, the black-screen Kraken got me while I was only halfway to the RTG pickup. :mad:

Has anyone here actually seen the movie yet?

On my way out the door to see it now! :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

i want to swear badly, was it it with the black screens

Me too.. in fact, I did just that. Yes.. black screens.

Yeah, I see what you mean..

Awesome job you've done on the DDV debris.. a pity I had to remove it to get a reasonable framerate.. with my crappy old 1.73GHz Core 2 Duo laptop, each single step my Kerbal made to get to the rover took 12 seconds! I terminated the 5 items of debris, and it was back to my usual about 3 seconds.

The real bummer is, the black-screen Kraken got me while I was only halfway to the RTG pickup. :mad:

It got me when I was about 100m away from the RTG, I'm outta ideas on how to fix this, it seems like we just can't have more than a couple of craft in any place at the same time.

Brief report on the movie..

They altered a few things that surprised me, but still less than is usual in book adaptions. Overall, I very much enjoyed it. Definitely good value.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm outta ideas on how to fix this, it seems like we just can't have more than a couple of craft in any place at the same time.

We may just have to take it as read that he's already collected the RTG before the scenario begins.. sucks, but what else can we do?

Hey I can try to work around the RTG problem since I have a bit of spare time right now.

Go for it the more the merrier, one thing I was going to try was forwarding a few days away from the start date. In the end will have to probably start the save file again and load it up peice by peice testing until it glitches.

I noticed that the comms tower could use an update.

F1drmiy.png

Less than 10 parts.

Craft file

P.S. I forgot to tell you that I'm a blender user, so if you wanted to I could make a promotional image along the lines of this, just say the word.

(Nothing with the Hab exterior though - kspblender cannot import fairing shourds.:()

Luke

Downloading the files now. I think I have a solution to the RTG problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe not...

1. Really buggy due to the mods I have

2. The lag is real. Woah. I didin't know there was so much lag even on a higher end computer.

I quite like the present Comms Tower.. there's nothing wrong with it that some part-welding wouldn't fix.

- - - Updated - - -

2. The lag is real. Woah. I didin't know there was so much lag even on a higher end computer.

Heh.. you should try it on a low-end machine..:wink:

I really do think some part-welding might be the way to go here.. turn all that debris around the site into single pieces, as much as possible. Some reading suggests that while the mod currently has some issues for flying craft (not game-killers, but you need to be careful about what you do and don't weld), for items that are just intended to be used as scenery, it should work just fine.

[1.0.4] UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued 2.2.0 (2015-08-27)

There's a good youtube tutorial available for it, too.

Edited by JAFO

I noticed that the comms tower could use an update.

http://i.imgur.com/F1drmiy.png

Less than 10 parts.

Craft file

P.S. I forgot to tell you that I'm a blender user, so if you wanted to I could make a promotional image along the lines of this, just say the word.

(Nothing with the Hab exterior though - kspblender cannot import fairing shourds.:()

Luke

I like the thinking, I agree with everyone that we need to go on a parts reduction campaign. Also unnecessary scenery peices need to go.

I would like to see some renders I have ksptoblender working myself but figuring out the parts weirdness is a headache I dont need right now.

The worst thing is when I was placing all the bits, parking the rover etc I had quite good fps. But load the save and it's a slideshow.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully Majorjim will upload his low part rovers soon. I can take interior and exterior stuff out of the hab and remove the solar farm dock

@ selfish_meme, here's a welded version of the Ares 3 Radio Tower. It's identical with the original, and still fully functional, but reduced from 42 parts to 8.

https://app.box.com/s/5ormo16ck0tmr911fgx3kr33qtzzy18p

If you like it, I can do the same for the rest of the debris type items.

I do like it, I haven't tried any welding mods yet, and I certainly don't mind for scenery.

I think you already did, Majorjims is a version of the current one with fewer parts. I know what he did so I can reproduce it, having the craft file would be faster though.

I asked twice matey but you didn't reply.. Do you want the one with 60 parts but a fairing as the tent or one with 95 parts but the tent is made of panels. Although its so clean it looks like a fairing.. :blush:

I will just upload both of them this afternoon as well as the descent vehicle too.

Edited by Majorjim

I asked twice matey but you didn't reply.. Do you want the one with 60 parts but a fairing as the tent or one with 95 parts but the tent is made of panels. Although its so clean it looks like a fairing.. :blush:

I will just upload both of them this afternoon as well as the descent vehicle too.

I am pretty relaxed about how or what people do, I prefer to let them decide what they want to offer, but I really was not aware you wanted me to decide.

Yes please, I thought you would decide which one because I have not seen either, right now we are I guess looking for low part count, but I would still like it to look good.

I am pretty relaxed about how or what people do, I prefer to let them decide what they want to offer, but I really was not aware you wanted me to decide.

Yes please, I thought you would decide which one because I have not seen either, right now we are I guess looking for low part count, but I would still like it to look good.

That's ok, I'm happy to work like that too.

That's ok, I'm happy to work like that too.

I had some free time to play and got a bit done, did some testing, how do we feel about 4 wheel rovers? and utes? dropped 30 parts from rover 1 down to 86 parts and rover 2 is 90 parts, probably saves 70 parts, dropped the radio tower from 42 to 7 parts and the hab from 150 odd down to 69. All up i placed the bits again this time with a completely unmodded install except for hyperedit and I was getting 30FPS (see in the screenshot below) with everything in view, compared to not more than 10fps before. I have uploaded the save file again, but not changed the craft yet, I am waiting for Majorjims craft and to see what you think of the radio tower (it was meant to be damagesd yes?)

hkdEcJo.png

nTRhCmJ.png

I can take interior and exterior stuff out of the hab and remove the solar farm dock

Well, it probably won't be necessary for you to mess with the Hab.. I've done it for you. :D I've had a fun and productive day learning about part welding and its' limitations. I wasn't able to do some of what I wanted, but made good progress overall.

The Duna Descent Vehicle, I reduced to the way it appears on Duna, since it doesn't need the fairing etc.. I turned the whole thing into a single part, down from the original 23 parts.

The Comms Tower you already know about.. a reduction of 34 parts.

The Hab gave me some trouble.. I was hoping to be able to lose another 20 or so parts by welding the underlying frame and the frame of the Solar Array, but even with the 'special' parts stripped off, those bits just would not weld correctly.. the part .cfg files were full of NaN, and they wouldn't display. However, I was able to turn the entire interior of the Hab into a single part, and rebuild the rest of the Hab around it, so that it looks and functions exactly the same as before, but instead of being 132 parts, its' now just 73 parts!

All told, those three items result in a combined reduction of 115 parts. :cool:

The part-reduced craft can be downloaded here.

I would have done the debris from the Ares 3 Duna Ascent Vehicle as well, but I'm having some trouble getting the welded parts re-attached to the core ship, so they can be dumped on the ground realistically.. if I can get that sorted out, it will result in another 40-45 less parts onsite.

- - - Updated - - -

have you made the MAV yet?
Yes.. See the OP on page 1 for all the things that have been done so far.
What about the resupplier?
Well, that's a bit outside the scope of this project..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.