The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

Well, it probably won't be necessary for you to mess with the Hab.. I've done it for you. :D I've had a fun and productive day learning about part welding and its' limitations. I wasn't able to do some of what I wanted, but made good progress overall.

The Duna Descent Vehicle, I reduced to the way it appears on Duna, since it doesn't need the fairing etc.. I turned the whole thing into a single part, down from the original 23 parts.

The Comms Tower you already know about.. a reduction of 34 parts.

The Hab gave me some trouble.. I was hoping to be able to lose another 20 or so parts by welding the underlying frame and the frame of the Solar Array, but even with the 'special' parts stripped off, those bits just would not weld correctly.. the part .cfg files were full of NaN, and they wouldn't display. However, I was able to turn the entire interior of the Hab into a single part, and rebuild the rest of the Hab around it, so that it looks and functions exactly the same as before, but instead of being 132 parts, its' now just 73 parts!

All told, those three items result in a combined reduction of 115 parts. :cool:

The part-reduced craft can be downloaded here.

I would have done the debris from the Ares 3 Duna Ascent Vehicle as well, but I'm having some trouble getting the welded parts re-attached to the core ship, so they can be dumped on the ground realistically.. if I can get that sorted out, it will result in another 40-45 less parts onsite.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.. See the OP on page 1 for all the things that have been done so far.

Well, that's a bit outside the scope of this project..

With the parts we are saving it should end up bittery smooth

- - - Updated - - -

Just watched The Martian and now I can say how awesome the Hermes is, how cute Sojourner is and how much the food tastes like potatoes, have you made the MAV yet? I liked that.
What about the resupplier?

There is one, but we are always ready to incorporate improved craft

how do we feel about 4 wheel rovers? and utes?
Yeah, those look pretty good.. reminiscent of the rovers in the movie, too.
see what you think of the radio tower (it was meant to be damagesd yes?)

Looks good.. I can turn that into a single part if you like.

I just saw the Martian.

There is is only one rover in the movie. Why not make a simple trailer like in the movie? Also, the covering was not at the rear but above the main cockpit of the rover. These two things could save some parts and be more in line with the story.

Also, I think my descent vehicle is too man parts. It can actually land 8 Kerbals though from orbit.

I just saw the Martian.

There is is only one rover in the movie. Why not make a simple trailer like in the movie? Also, the covering was not at the rear but above the main cockpit of the rover. These two things could save some parts and be more in line with the story.

Also, I think my descent vehicle is too man parts. It can actually land 8 Kerbals though from orbit.

I am seeing the movie tonight, t's a bit disappointing there is only one rover, I think about half the book is growing potatoes and modifying the second rover for the trip. I want to keep the second rover in this case, movie be damned. In the book he had to carry about 30 solar panels on the roof of the rovers, and his life support equipment was hab sized and wouldn't fit in the rover normally which is why he had to create a tent. I'm OK with Ute rovers as I actually think a flatbed would be more use on mars than a van type of rover.

The descent vehicle can have a welded version for scenery purposes and a working one in case someone wants to do the mission.

Again, correct. My MAV is nearly done:

http://i.imgur.com/9G8sDcs.jpg

It"s quite tall making it difficult to land on slopes. Also ISRU? My current one is wide on purpose, but I love your thrusters.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats with the huge mono tank?

- - - Updated - - -

You only need about 1000ms to get to duna orbit, could be a bit overkill.

- - - Updated - - -

I sound so critical...sheesh

Yeah double thuds next to each other with something square clipped around them

- - - Updated - - -

Though that would be six thuds how many times the required twr is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Would be good for a dragon Mars transport replica as well

I think a Kerbin-Duna-Kerbin trajectory without manuevers?
A Duna/Kerbin free return trajectory? Hmm, I've never plotted one myself but how hard can it be? You just have to find out the perfect time to reach Duna. There must be information here about this kind of maneuver.

Woohoo! I just found the perfect tool for the job!

[WIN] Flyby Finder V0.82 [KSP1.04]

Here's what I got when I plugged in a basic Duna flyby with return to Kerbin. That first entry looks like it would do nicely.. with a Duna flyby altitude of almost 1300km, it would present a nice challenge, on a par with what Watney faced, in having to fully escape Mars gravity to rendezvous with Hermes:

Capture_zpss4y0gaqk.png~original

Capture2_zpspsc8y6mn.png~original

Double-clicking on an entry brings up specific details. In the case of the first trip beginning on day 520, we get:

Start Planet: Kerbin

Orbit Departure Time:

11210400 seconds UT

520 days UT

Y2 D94 H0

Start Orbit Inclination: -0.1 degrees

Start Boost: 1309 m/s

Start Equatorial Z velocity: -10 m/s

Start Equat. Prograde velocity: 1309 m/s

V Infinity Leaving Start Planet: 1624 m/s

1st Encounter Planet: Duna

Time from Start to 1st Encounter: 720 days 0 hours

Vinf in: 3075 m/s

Brake to Orbit?: 2439 m/s

1st Encounter Periapsis:

1240 days UT

Y3 D388 H0

1297 km altitude

Vinf out: 3077 m/s

2nd Encounter Planet: Kerbin

Time from 1st to 2nd Encounter: 163 days 0 hours

Vinf in: 1991 m/s

Brake to Orbit?: 1513 m/s

2nd Encounter Periapsis:

1403 days UT

Y4 D125 H0

Total delta V expended: 2823 m/s

Total Travel Time: 882.8 days

So at Duna encounter, Hermes will be moving a little less than 3100m/s. Good to know, since it helps us to calculate the required delta-V for the DAV.

Edited by JAFO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.