[1.2 - 1.4] Lithobrake Exploration Technologies 0.4 (2016-10-12)

NecroBones

About the ramp:

Why not a sort of service module . An octogonal part with one side who include a ramp which has the height of service module, it will provide too some torque and few monopropellant/EC/a bay on the other side/fuel/flat landing system who would be used as the lander bottom, the ramp being one of the legs/several options

hrel45.jpg

It's a crude and awful plan but it shows more or less what I see as landing leg/ramp part.

More Boosters, no save problem atm.

Wow, lots of feedback! I'll reply in chunks.

I'm a little spooked by the save-breaking possibility... Anybody had it happen yet?
I would take a guess that Necro means 'ship breaking' if he decides to take away a part, or even just give it a new identifier in the code. Can't figure out any reason why a parts pack would kill an entire save...?

That aside, interesting mod indeed - I have oft felt disappointed at my options for multi-kerbal landers, what with the 3-man orbiter pod being excessively heavy. Hopefully this pack will give some more variety ^^

Yep, really it just means "potentially ship breaking" if I have to make major changes, such as removing a part, or rescaling one, or moving attachment nodes around. Thankfully that latter one (changing the nodes) is no longer ship-breaking, as of KSP 1.0.4.

On landing leg mass, I think a good reference from a gameplay standpoint would be the mass needed to do the same thing with girders or i-beams. If the landing legs are significantly heavier than that then they become suboptimal to use at all.

That's a good point. I'll add up some I-beams and see how it looks. I can probably bring the mass down on the legs.

Congratulations on a release Bones! Do you still have any plans for ramps or the like for the rover bay? I know that was something you were trying to figure out.

Thanks! Yeah, we were just discussing ramps on the previous page actually. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously brother, I'm all out of RAM, and at least half of it has your name stamped on it. ;)

LOL, glad to "help". ;)

About the ramp:

Why not a sort of service module . An octogonal part with one side who include a ramp which has the height of service module, it will provide too some torque and few monopropellant/EC/a bay on the other side/fuel/flat landing system who would be used as the lander bottom, the ramp being one of the legs/several options

http://i62.tinypic.com/hrel45.jpg

It's a crude and awful plan but it shows more or less what I see as landing leg/ramp part.

Interesting idea. :) One of the difficult things is trying to figure out how much fuel/mono/etc is worth putting into a part, since it may limit what someone wants to do. I know I'd get complaints of "why is it all monoprop? I want LFO and Xenon!" or something like that. :)

What I want to experiment with, and see if it's at all feasible, is to build the ramp into the service bay, and angle it down at maybe 30 degrees when deployed. If it functions as a "landing leg" with a telescoping function, and very weak springs, it may somewhat auto-adjust to the height of the lander. I'm having to fight against the constraints of KSP, in that animations are either static (with infinite motor strength and no flex), or they use the wheel suspension system.

What I want to experiment with, and see if it's at all feasible, is to build the ramp into the service bay, and angle it down at maybe 30 degrees when deployed. If it functions as a "landing leg" with a telescoping function, and very weak springs, it may somewhat auto-adjust to the height of the lander. I'm having to fight against the constraints of KSP, in that animations are either static (with infinite motor strength and no flex), or they use the wheel suspension system.

I know you don't usually introduce many dependencies, but you included interstellar switcher before in FTP, so maybe it's going to be OK: MKIV Spaceplane parts mod by Nertea has a module that allows adjustable ramp slope. Might be worth looking into?

I know you don't usually introduce many dependencies, but you included interstellar switcher before in FTP, so maybe it's going to be OK: MKIV Spaceplane parts mod by Nertea has a module that allows adjustable ramp slope. Might be worth looking into?

Huh, I didn't know it was adjustable. I'll take another look at it.

Posted some fixes/improvements:

0.2.1 (2015-08-05) - Alpha fixes.
- Fixed a texture problem that resulted in the 1m and 2m fixed ladders not loading textures.
- Fixed a scaling error with the "large" octagonal bay's doors, causing it to leave gaps when closed.
- Radial parachute's storage case reduced in size by 15%.
- Increased deployed-drag multiplier on all parachutes.
- Added Connected Living Space support.
- Added TweakScale support.

Well since as said before, there already is an interstellar fuel switch with fuel tank plus making one cfg for LET with LFO/LF/O/Mono is not that impossible :) (btw I'm trying fuel switch for every tanks and it works like a charm) and if fuel capacity looks at tad problematic, just add a reaction wheel and the "hole" on the bottom to place stuff like a cluster of Sparkle engines, the idea behind the "hole" is to provide a very flat engine section to land (almost or really) on the belly. The hole size would be a nice 2.5m wide.

About the capacity of the landing part I would see as a little bit less than a Rockomax X200-8 so something like 240-270 LF/300-330 Oxy.

I hope you can understand what I'm talking about since it's not my native language and sometime i'm not really sure how to explain what I want to tell in english :blush:

Here my new lander, the Athena 01 B PROTO

rkngqu.png

And a close up of the huuuuuuuuuuuuge bay.

t7jsle.png

Since my attempt to fit a rover failed due the usual node vanishing problem on the subassembly ( -_- ) I turned the bay into a multipurpose science bay with a big chemcam from Tarsier Space Technology and some DMagic Orbital science stuff, plus two seats and some airlock from Station Parts Expansion wich allows EVA even on big gravity planets like Eve or simply Kerbin making it to possible to go back to the ship without using EVA Pack, jst use the ladder, go back to the airlock and back on the lander can. :D

I had to tweak around though. For example the radial fuel tanks are not in a radial symetry 4 but in two mirror symetry 2 pack since with a radial symetry 4, the bay doors will clip into the fuel tanks .

Edited by Vahal
more content

I hope you can understand what I'm talking about since it's not my native language and sometime i'm not really sure how to explain what I want to tell in english :blush:

Actually you're explaining very clearly. It does give me some things to think about. :) And great job on the lander! That looks pretty fantastic.

I don't know if it's related to LET mod but since it's first time it happened for me and the first time I used the pod... So I was in KLO and my scientist Asphia went EVA to check some science instruments, then she went back to the pod and I pressed "b" as usual and I heard the noise of the airlock as usual... except my little kerbonaut still was outside! :huh: I pressed ) to check and... she was inside! re :huh: . I had TWO Asphia Kerman. I verified and tried to send the "outsider" inside by pressing b another time but I was informed that the pod was full... So there really was two Asphia, one in the pod, and one on the ladder just outside!

2nm3vix.png

Any idea? Cause now I'm a bit embarassed since I don't know what to do with my two twins :sticktongue: (the new Asphia is siiting on a seat in the bay. It seems I had some precognition instinct ^^ )

I don't know if it's related to LET mod but since it's first time it happened for me and the first time I used the pod... So I was in KLO and my scientist Asphia went EVA to check some science instruments, then she went back to the pod and I pressed "b" as usual and I heard the noise of the airlock as usual... except my little kerbonaut still was outside! :huh: I pressed ) to check and... she was inside! re :huh: . I had TWO Asphia Kerman. I verified and tried to send the "outsider" inside by pressing b another time but I was informed that the pod was full... So there really was two Asphia, one in the pod, and one on the ladder just outside!

Do you, perchance, use the Final Frontier ribbon mod? There was IIRC a known issue with that duplicating Kerbals.

Final Frontier had this bug yep but it's said as fixed so... Well, it seems the problem vanished the same way it happened, I'm just a bit sad my Asphia twin disappeared. I hate losing kerbals, even if they're from a bug. ;.;

On a brighter note, Asphia Karte and Dira send greetings from Minmus, thanking Necrobones for his nice parts mods!.. And as usual Dira planted the flag on the wrong way... Jebediah has real bad influence ont my kerbonauts :sealed:

a5fra.png

Here my new lander, the Athena 01 B PROTO

I know every one of those mods, except for what looks like the curiosity rover mast, which mod is that from?

BTW< where did you find Talstar's science container? I used to have that and I can't find it

I know every one of those mods, except for what looks like the curiosity rover mast, which mod is that from?

BTW< where did you find Talstar's science container? I used to have that and I can't find it

Vahal called it a "ChemCam", which makes me think it's from Tarsier Space Tech: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111157-1-0-4-Tarsier-Space-Technology-with-Galaxies-Continued-(V5-4-1)-18th-July-2015

All of Talisar's stuff has been updated and gathered here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129771-1-0-4-Talisar-Parts-v1-0-0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.