[1.2 - 1.4] Lithobrake Exploration Technologies 0.4 (2016-10-12)

NecroBones

On 11/4/2016 at 7:04 PM, Psycho_zs said:

Fun bug: I've just illuminated the surface of the Mun with landing legs lights from 150km orbit.

On 11/6/2016 at 3:24 PM, Deimos Rast said:

@NecroBones

If you need advice about this, talk to @blowfish over at B9, he had the issue with his lights but has since fixed them.

Wait, did something change with this? I didn't do anything special/unusual with the lights. Did they mess with layers or something?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW the lights lighting up from orbit was around in 1.1.3, I am still on 1.1.3 and I see it all the time.

I have another question, and I didn't read through all 7 pages so apologies up front if it was addressed...

When I land using any of the new landing legs they slide around like roller skates, even on the most slight of inclines it is easy to exceed1 or 2 m/s just sliding along, so much so that at times my 'chutes stay deployed.

I do not have this issue on the same landers with stock legs or the spiky SpaceY legs. I really like the legs because they fit well into some of my taller landers.

I've tried lowering the spring/rebound settings but that just makes it squishy and it slides anyways.

Have you seen this?
I could probably record a snippet if you have a spot to put it.

What more information can I provide?

thanks,

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:58 PM, Markarian421 said:

Does this work with 1.2.1 or does it need an update?  I just read the last few pages and I didn't see any mention.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:31 PM, Deimos Rast said:

says 1.2 in the title. I use it in 1.2.1 myself just fine.:)

Yep, should be fine. I only updated the mods that needed specific changes.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:34 PM, kurdain said:

When I land using any of the new landing legs they slide around like roller skates, even on the most slight of inclines it is easy to exceed1 or 2 m/s just sliding along, so much so that at times my 'chutes stay deployed.

I do not have this issue on the same landers with stock legs or the spiky SpaceY legs. I really like the legs because they fit well into some of my taller landers.

I've tried lowering the spring/rebound settings but that just makes it squishy and it slides anyways.

There's a lot of strange stuff going on with landing legs since they were revised in KSP. Unfortunately it's not clear how to make them work 100% the way we want. It's one of those things that may require some on-going effort to tune them. Sadly. What I did on the spikey SpaceY legs is that I removed the suspension, and so they deploy rigidly. I could always do that with these too, but I would hate to lose those shock absorbers.

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Yep, should be fine. I only updated the mods that needed specific changes.

There's a lot of strange stuff going on with landing legs since they were revised in KSP. Unfortunately it's not clear how to make them work 100% the way we want. It's one of those things that may require some on-going effort to tune them. Sadly. What I did on the spikey SpaceY legs is that I removed the suspension, and so they deploy rigidly. I could always do that with these too, but I would hate to lose those shock absorbers.

Yeah well,

Last night I landed on Duna, 100? ton lander with 4 of the medium litho legs, I forget the name sorry at work can't look it up. Landed on a mild slope, and I mean nearly flat mild, and it took off like a toboggan. I ended up using RCS to stop sliding, jumped out did my science, swapped to the lander, stopped the slide again w/rcs, then back to the kerbal and then ran like hell to catch the lander before it got going too fast again. 

I've tried lowering the suspension values but it's hard to adjust for every planet/moon and in my experience it hasn't mattered at all, it just gets all squishy while sliding all the same.

It might be cheating but would it be easier to modify the values of the KSP stock legs and reskin? I don't have the issue with those even at 200% or 300% scale they just get really heavy. :(

I am on 1.1.3 still with your older build for that version, if that helps at all.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:20 PM, kurdain said:

It might be cheating but would it be easier to modify the values of the KSP stock legs and reskin? I don't have the issue with those even at 200% or 300% scale they just get really heavy. :(

I am on 1.1.3 still with your older build for that version, if that helps at all.

Unfortunately it doesn't really work that way. The legs already use a config very similar to the stock legs, but the leg structure and animation is unique to each leg. If you want to try turning off the suspension, and use it as a rigid leg, you could try something like this:  (note, it's untested)

@PART[LETleg1|LETleg2]:NEEDS[LETech]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleWheelBase] { }
	!MODULE[ModuleWheelSuspension] { }
	!MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment] { }
	!MODULE[ModuleWheelLock] { }
	!MODULE[ModuleWheelBogey] { }
	!MODULE[ModuleWheelBase] { }
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = deploy
		startEventGUIName = Extend Legs
		endEventGUIName = Retract Legs
		actionGUIName = Toggle Legs
		defaultActionGroup = Gear
	}
}

Hi, i would like to know how do you guys are attaching the rover to the garage? i've been trying for more than 30 minutes and nothing works, i tried decouplers and docking ports, to the back and the top, but the rover keeps attaching to wrong places... any advice would be welcome. i saw and image in the last page, but it it's to polluted to actually see WHERE the rover is attached.

there are 3 possibilities:

The bast imho is to place a decoupler at the bottom of the hold using some rotation and translation to make it right. drawback, it blocks the rear side of your rover.

The classic is to place a decoupler above the rover. Problem, it force you to have a somewhat flat rover to be able to fit it inside the bay and to make it able to actually leave the bay.

The worse is to place it below. Why worse? Cause you can be end with a stucked rover due to the decoupler blocking your vehicle. So you have to "cheat" with that and for example to place a decoupler and a separator so the mobile separator will move away the same time the rover.

1 hour ago, Fidelfc said:

Hi, i would like to know how do you guys are attaching the rover to the garage? i've been trying for more than 30 minutes and nothing works, i tried decouplers and docking ports, to the back and the top, but the rover keeps attaching to wrong places... any advice would be welcome. i saw and image in the last page, but it it's to polluted to actually see WHERE the rover is attached.

For reference: In my image on the last page, I used Buffalo docking ports - one on the garage, and one on the rover.  I wasn't trying to show that exactly, so it's a bit hard to see (especially since I *also* packed the garage with lots of other stuff stuck to the walls), but it's visible in the second picture on the back wall, partially hidden behind the surface scanner on the right wall.

It's an unusual docking port in that it's rectangular, and made for rovers as more of a trailer hitch.  I have it attached and translated down to put the rover where it was needed.

For attaching things inside and getting things attached in the right places: I advise putting the attachment system in first thing, then using Alt/Opt to disable surface attach and make sure the rover (which I pre-build in the SPH) snaps to your attachment nodes.

Oh, yeah, a very important stuff, the rover is prebuilt or built elsewhere on the craft then moved to the bay (when I'm too lazy to make a prebuilt (plus I don't rely too much on prebuilt, you have sometime bad surprises, like struts and fuel lines disconnected, I lost too much rocket due to these problems)

22 hours ago, DStaal said:

I wasn't trying to show that exactly

I know, it wasn't a critic, i only said it was the only reference i could make.

Yeah, i created the rover as a Subassembly, but getting it to attach was the hard part, the game kept only attaching the probehead to some of the points in the garage, ignoring the others.  I'll try the docking ports in the Buffalo mod.

Thanks for the help.

15 minutes ago, Fidelfc said:

I know, it wasn't a critic, i only said it was the only reference i could make.

Yeah, i created the rover as a Subassembly, but getting it to attach was the hard part, the game kept only attaching the probehead to some of the points in the garage, ignoring the others.  I'll try the docking ports in the Buffalo mod.

Thanks for the help.

No problem, and I was mostly saying that part as a way of saying that I understand.  :wink:

Another thing to mention and to think about: Make sure the root part of the rover (I actually never use subassemblies - I just save it as a regular ship and merge it in) is the part that you want to have attach to the garage.  The root part is the only part that KSP will try to attach to.

Typically this means I have to design my rover, and then re-root it.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

Does this mod Work in 1.2.2?

It's a parts mod, and there have been *very* few changes between 1.2.0 and 1.2.2 that would affect parts mods.  (Most code mods work between the versions as well, but they're slightly more likely to break.)  As it was updated to 1.2.0, it should work fine.

I have it and afaik it's work smoothly (as usual) so u can dl it and have fun.

BTW NecroBones, any new of the project of a 2 crew lander can and and Bay/Landing Gear as it was discussed some time ago?

On 1/21/2017 at 7:27 AM, Vahal said:

BTW NecroBones, any new of the project of a 2 crew lander can and and Bay/Landing Gear as it was discussed some time ago?

Not yet, sadly. Man, I have so much stuff on the "to-do list" these days. I'll probably get back into another development cycle sooner or later, but I don't know what I'll work on first.

I can imagine ^^' . Hope that will be sooner than later  :sticktongue: Meanwhile we can enjoy the parts already avaliable. The pods from LET are absolute must have for me since their release especially with mods that makes all kerbals useful so I bring pilot, engineer and scientist on my lander and have another pilot for the command module because, having a pilot is better than relying on probe core... (especially with the vanilla remote tech)

Here's a MM config that makes the LETech ladders compatible with KIS (as in, they can be carried around by kerbals and manipulated).

The reason for keeping volumes < 250 is because a KIS back pocket is only 300 units.  I tried "Carried=true", but that resulted in some oddness.

Spoiler

@PART[LETladderD5m]:NEEDS[KIS&LETech]:AFTER[KIS]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
    {
        %equipSlot = Back Pocket
        %equipable = false
        %volumeOverride = 100
    }
}

@PART[LETladderD8m]:NEEDS[KIS&LETech]:AFTER[KIS]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
    {
        %equipSlot = Back Pocket
        %equipable = false
        %volumeOverride = 200
    }
}

@PART[LETladderF1m]:NEEDS[KIS&LETech]:AFTER[KIS]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
    {
        %equipSlot = Back Pocket
        %equipable = false
        %volumeOverride = 50
    }
}

@PART[LETladderF2m]:NEEDS[KIS&LETech]:AFTER[KIS]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
    {
        %equipSlot = Back Pocket
        %equipable = false
        %volumeOverride = 100
    }
}

@PART[LETladderF3m]:NEEDS[KIS&LETech]:AFTER[KIS]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
    {
        %equipSlot = Back Pocket
        %equipable = false
        %volumeOverride = 200
    }
}

By default the 5m and 8m LETech ladders are around 2500-4500 KIS volume units.  Way too large for a part that is not that massive. 

On 2/4/2017 at 0:57 PM, WuphonsReach said:

Here's a MM config that makes the LETech ladders compatible with KIS (as in, they can be carried around by kerbals and manipulated).

The reason for keeping volumes < 250 is because a KIS back pocket is only 300 units.  I tried "Carried=true", but that resulted in some oddness.

By default the 5m and 8m LETech ladders are around 2500-4500 KIS volume units.  Way too large for a part that is not that massive. 

Oh cool. I'll add that. Thanks! :)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.