[1.0.4] Tech-Based Probe SAS Upgrades v1.1.0 | Unlock SAS modes for probes with tech, not parts!

albany_

This small mod uses ModuleManager and Merill's super-nifty PartUpgrade plugin to automatically upgrade the SASServiceLevel modules on unmanned probes as you get deeper into the tech tree, allowing all probes to utilize advanced SAS attitude modes over time.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Current unlock scheme roughly matches the rate at which parts with these features are unlocked:

• SAS module added to all unmanned probes with Electrics.
  • Prograde/Retrograde attitudes added with Precision Engineering.
  • Radial/Normal attitudes added with Unmanned Tech.
  • Target/Manuever attitudes added with Advanced Unmanned Tech.

Requires ModuleManager and PartUpgrade to function, both of which are bundled in this mod with permission.

Download and extract to GameData folder.

This mod uses ModuleManager configs to apply these changes to all parts that

a) have the ability to control a craft

B) have a max crew capacity of 0 (i.e., kerbalnauts can't board the part)

To that end, this should be compatible with any mods that add parts, assuming they meet the above criteria. If you discover that other mod parts that should meet this criteria do not work as you'd expect with this mod installed, let me know and I'll investigate.

Download from KerbalStuff here.

08-12-2015, v.1.1.0:

Updated PartUpgrade .dll to latest.

Added new & improved floppy disc model.

08-03-2015, v.1.0.0:

Initial release.

Credits:

.cfg files and floppy disc model by albany_ -- CC-SA 4.0

sarbian/ialdabaoth's ModuleManager -- CC-SA 4.0

Merill's PartUpgrade -- GPLv3

Edited by albany_
v1.1.0

Do the increased abilities change the weight or other stats of the probes?

Not at the moment. The mass, crashTolerance, maxTemperature values in the ProbeTech BIOS tech tree parts are only there because I couldn't get KSP to load the parts without them. If anyone knows of a way to hide those stats, I'd be interested to hear about it.

That said, the PartUpgrade plugin does support a bunch of different part changes, including mass. I didn't see the point in using them though, since it's just software we're talking about.

Edited by albany_

Would you consider such features on the smaller pods and cockpits?

You mean having these features even if you have an underleveled pilot (or no pilot at all) in a manned command module? In theory it's probably possible, but I'm not sure exactly how it would work if you had a lvl 1 pilot in a fully upgraded Mk1 Command Pod. Would it use the pilot's SASServiceLevel, or the built-in SASServiceLevel? I'd have to play around with it. I'm not sure it fits within the scope of this mod though, so it'd probably be separate and optional.

And I can see EVA upgrades happening as well, if its possible.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Would you consider such features on the smaller pods and cockpits?

And I can see EVA upgrades happening as well, if its possible.

Eva are not already unlocked via a building upgrade?

And the pods sas level is upgraded via the experience of the pilot.

v1.1.0 is available now on KerbalStuff.

No big changes here, just updating to latest PartUpgrade .dll. I also created a new floppy disc model that's a little closer to KSP style and is much smaller in terms of filesize -- being new to creating things online, the whole "borrowing a model from blender exchange" made me uneasy, even with licensed permission. The new model's included in v1.1.0 -- let me know what you think.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/12/2015 at 4:49 PM, Argonicus said:

Any test it for 1.05?

Works fine in 1.0.5.

I have run into a minor issue, not sure if it's 1.0.5 (I doubt it) though.

If you load a craft with a higher SAS level than currently unlocked, you get the SAS level of the craft instead of what you unlocked.

I also have TweakableEverything installed, which appears to let you change the SAS level in the VAB (I can't myself, since I'm still at level 0). Just in case there's a conflict there.

The reason I encountered this, is I installed a mod (Ship Manifest) which had a side affect of unlocking all SAS levels (not what the mod was supposed to do, AFAIK). I created a craft and played for a while until I noticed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry everyone -- work has been extremely busy lately and I haven't had an opportunity to verify this works with 1.0.5 (nor update it to include the latest Merill plugin). Hope to do this soon and update the thread accordingly.

Edited by albany_

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey all,

I've recently had some free time, allowing for me to revisit KSP (and this mod), but it appears that Merill's PartUpgrade plugin is no longer functional on the latest version of KSP. I see that @Alshain managed to get this up and running again on 1.1.2, but he probably doesn't have the interest/bandwidth in recompiling for 1.2.2. Still, I had some functional prototypes that I liked that depended on PartUpgrade, so maybe I'll look into figuring out how to recompile it myself.

1 hour ago, albany_ said:

Hey all,

I've recently had some free time, allowing for me to revisit KSP (and this mod), but it appears that Merill's PartUpgrade plugin is no longer functional on the latest version of KSP. I see that @Alshain managed to get this up and running again on 1.1.2, but he probably doesn't have the interest/bandwidth in recompiling for 1.2.2. Still, I had some functional prototypes that I liked that depended on PartUpgrade, so maybe I'll look into figuring out how to recompile it myself.

I think they made it stock.

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I think they made it stock.

"It" being?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Looks like the upgrade function is stock now. That's awesome! I'll have to work on getting this mod updated over the weekend, then.

Edited by albany_
googled something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.