Weird anomaly: apparently Kerbals are able to change their gender.

GDJ

No, I'm not being a A-hole. This actually happened on my copy of KSP 1.04.

Valentina went from a Female to a male mid-game, the persistent file and game save confirm she was male (!?) and eventho' I changed her back, the game still showed her as male.

I ended up pulling all my mod files and restarting the game all over again with stock parts EXCEPT for Pilot Assist.

Like I said, I'm not joking around.

To tell you all the truth I'm not sure if this is a bug or something I or a mod did.

I'm going to add one mod at at time and see if this replicates.

I'll start with Texture Replacer and go from there, since it changes how the Kerbals look in the suits. Have to start somewhere.....

To tell you all the truth I'm not sure if this is a bug or something I or a mod did.

I'm going to add one mod at at time and see if this replicates.

I'll start with Texture Replacer and go from there, since it changes how the Kerbals look in the suits. Have to start somewhere.....

Texture Replacer has an option to make all girls into males to have custom textures and stuff. So that must be it.

Confirmed: Texture Replacer is the culprit.

It's rewriting the persistent file and changing Valentina to male. Did it 3 times out of 3 on a new restarted game.

Removed Texture Replacer, fixed the persistent file and the last save. She's back to normal.

Edited by GDJ

Confirmed, i rescued a kerbal from surface of Pol, named VALBY, visually male, then after in my crew, female. Quiet stock game, some informational mods, KJR, stock bug fix, asteroid day...

But not a severe bug in my opinion...

Edited by Mikki
Looked for the name...

The entire experience sounds awfully traumatic. Are you sure she's ready to go directly back to flight status without counseling?

He/she is fine. She's (officially a she now) is fully recovered and more obnoxious than Jeb, so she's good to go! :D

Confirmed, i rescued a kerbal from surface of Pol, visually male, then after in my crew, female. Quiet stock game, some informational mods, KJR, stock bug fix, asteroid day...

I agree. The bug doesn't affect gameplay as far as I can tell, so it could be overlooked.

I just found it rather weird and strange.

- - - Updated - - -

What if they added it deliberately as a small percent chance, in an effort to further trans-persons equality?

I'm not going to go there. Lets just leave that in the "personal" category.

That bug sounds terrible.

Although I have to say, a story could be made out of this.

Valentina Kerman, one of the bravest astronauts from Kerbin, was alone on her interplanetary ship, on a mission to Jool. It took years in order to build it, and now was the moment of truth. Would kerbal engineering take their civilization to a new level? 50% chances.

In LKO orbit, Valentina pushed the burn info into the ship's autopilot, and everything was going well. She decided to do the last remaining tasks and call it a day.

The next day, Valentina woke up, feeling different. She looked at her hands, and their size was a bit different, something weird, but she assumed it was the zero-g environment's fault. But not only her hands were different, things were quite strange. Her voice's pitch had lowered and her head was somewhat bigger. As she went to the station's bathroom, she looked at the mirror. Her head was square! How shocking! How could that be? Could her lower body have been affected too?

Valentina was dying to urinate, so she lowered her pants, only to find out that her lower body had also been affected. "Damn you, Kraken!" Valentina swore, after noticing that the device used to dispose her waste was specifically designed for female kerbals, since she/he was the only one in the station.

At the KSC, a male voice came up on the radio.

"KSC, we have a problem."

Valentina Kerman, one of the bravest astronauts from Kerbin, was alone on her interplanetary ship, on a mission to Jool. It took years in order to build it, and now was the moment of truth. Would kerbal engineering take their civilization to a new level? 50% chances.

In LKO orbit, Valentina pushed the burn info into the ship's autopilot, and everything was going well. She decided to do the last remaining tasks and call it a day.

The next day, Valentina woke up, feeling different. She looked at her hands, and their size was a bit different, something weird, but she assumed it was the zero-g environment's fault. But not only her hands were different, things were quite strange. Her voice's pitch had lowered and her head was somewhat bigger. As she went to the station's bathroom, she looked at the mirror. Her head was square! How shocking! How could that be? Could her lower body have been affected too?

Valentina was dying to urinate, so she lowered her pants, only to find out that her lower body had also been affected. "Damn you, Kraken!" Valentina swore, after noticing that the device used to dispose her waste was specifically designed for female kerbals, since she/he was the only one in the station.

At the KSC, a male voice came up on the radio.

"KSC, we have a problem."

That sounds like the beginning to a hilariously horrible slash fiction.

Actually, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle did, The Mote in God's Eye. Classic hard SF story, a must-read (as are all the other books, mostly by Pournelle, set in that universe. Humans met some aliens whose biology made them change gender (no inter-species stuff, the aliens had their own problems with this).

Confirmed, i rescued a kerbal from surface of Pol, named VALBY, visually male, then after in my crew, female. Quiet stock game, some informational mods, KJR, stock bug fix, asteroid day...

Valby sounds like a female Kerbal name, 'Val' and 'By' are name halves generated for female Kerbals only, iirc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.