A mission teaser from the maker of the Kerbco Launch Systems series.

jfull

Its been a long while since I stopped updating my Kerbco Launch Systems mission report series. You can probably guess that a lot of real life stuff got in the way, and though I have been continuing to play KSP off and on, I didn't feel motivated to maintain a series like that anymore.

But I've decided to change that, because I've got a plan. My eyes are on the red planet.

I've constructed a mothership in Kerbin orbit, losely based on the design of the Ares 3 from the upcoming film The Martian.

the-martian-ares-3-trailer-0.jpg

J7FvGI9.png

I've used more mods than I care to count, including Infernal Robotics to spin the huge centrifuge arms, rotate the satellite dishes, and to give it an articulated robotic arm.

KFYhMK5.png

In addition to the mothership (name still undecided) to carry the crew to Duna and back, my mission plan also calls for a lander, hab, and rover to be sent to Duna separately, and an ISRU lander to harvest Hydrogen from Ike for the return to Kerbin.

OkN9SzU.png

This will not be a career mode mission, and there won't be any science to collect (except in the narrative of the episodes)

I'm not sure when I'll be getting around to the first installment, but I'm considering adding some video to the episodes so it may take me a bit to learn.

I just hope I'm not getting in over my head with this one.

Edited by jfull

Thanks!

I also nearly forgot to show off the centrifuge in action, so I made a .gif

QtTLF3I.gif

I didn't balance the counter-spinning weighted centrifuge very well (I forgot that the arms would count as more massive since they were further from the center) so it tends to spin a bit after I turn the centrifuge on, but it eventually stabilizes.

Edited by jfull

• 1 month later...

I haven't been playing Kerbal nearly as much as I thought I would, but I'm still making slow progress on getting everything ready for this mission

One thing that's been delaying me is that I had originally intended to use A.S.E.T.'s Exploration Rover for this series, but Roverdude's Karibou Expedition Rover has a more stock-alike look that might go well with other mission components. It also has the added benefit of integrated landing thrusters.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on which rover they'd rather see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.