Devnote Tuesday: Hello, World.

SQUAD

Is there a way to have portraits show for all Kerbals on a craft regardless of whether there is an IVA? Maybe have them displayed against a black background or something? It would be great to have the ones in a command seat show up and that sort of thing.

There's a mod for that, Crew Portraits.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/575/Crew%20Portraits

Kasper (KasperVld)...More KSP related is the overhaul of the media group...

LOL @ 'media group'. You need to operate in more than video to use the plural. Medium group doesn't sound too good though.

Congratulations on your BSc anyway; only in Red Dwarf does that mean Bronze Swimming Certificate.

I love reading the dev notes....for me it makes me feel closer to the people who have changed my gaming life forever......I personally dont think I will play another game ever (im 42 years old, been gaming since the days of the BBC micro and Commodore 64, got a 2 and a half year old granddaughter who lives with me and my wife and have a full time job) as free time is sparce in my life :)

My only problem is I cannot stop thinking about KSP! For example, I see solar panels on peoples roofs....reminds me of KSP.....I see a mobile phone network mast, KSP and so on!

Keep up your great work guys and a big hello to Andrea plus a huge congrats to Kasper :)

Right, im off to start a career game proper for the first time (im a sandbox player and stayed away from career, but now I feel I want a go :) )

Chat soon all!

The dev kit and development side and the PS4 SDK are under NDA, so forgive me for not being able to disclose much about it, but I’m only hoping we can play our WIP KSP version on the PS4 test kit sometime this week.

OMG, so many acronyms, MHH (My Head Hurts) :D;)

Just a quick question to devs about 1.1 (or whatever the unity 5 update will be named):

Are there any planned performance improvements, especially towards highish part count ships? Currently my biggest issue with the entire game as a whole is the fact that anything above 1000 parts is more or less unplayable regardless of graphics settings ect. Ofc i know that there is plenty of stuff to do in game that doesnt require anywhere near this part count, but stuff like massive stations, capital ship battles, heck, even a rather medium sized ground base will EASILY exceed 1000 parts. I understand fully that the game has no preprogrammed flight models like many others and that highish part count will inherently become laggy since every part needs to have physics calculated, but should i actually put off my high part count projects until the next update, or will performance remain more or less as it is in 1.04 where i might as well give up on high part counts all together? Finally, im not expecting 5000 parts to work, but perhaps if ~1500 could be playable itd open up those massive projects.

Anyways, that aside, great job on everything, 1.04 is great, despite the fact that ive YET to make a 100% legit single stage airplane get to eeloo, land, and return to kerbin without any IRSU or fuel deliveries.

Edited by panzer1b

This was asked on the Squadcast and Maxmaps said they're not going to talk about Unity5/KSP1.1 performance until the experimental team is reviewing it (presumably so they can get a much wider install base to gauge on among other factors)

The PhysX subsystem of Unity had a big upgrade between versions 4 and 5 though (px2.8 -> 3.3) so, cautiously optimistic?

This was asked on the Squadcast and Maxmaps said they're not going to talk about Unity5/KSP1.1 performance until the experimental team is reviewing it (presumably so they can get a much wider install base to gauge on among other factors)

The PhysX subsystem of Unity had a big upgrade between versions 4 and 5 though (px2.8 -> 3.3) so, cautiously optimistic?

I accept that, and i guess i see why since the rigs the KSP devs are on are most likely 5+ghz 8 core CPUs, so it wouldnt be a fair test. As for physX upgrade, does KSP actually use physX for the physics calcs? If so then like you, i can be optimistic, but again, i have no clue if its physX doing the calcs, or something squad made themselves is doing the physics.

Also, i didnt actually see the squadcast so i missed this info...... While im around and play KSP, i dont have the time to be online 24/7 as i have a job and KSP isnt the sole game i play/mod. Thx again for telling me this.

KSP does use PhysX for making the physics calculations, however Unity only implements the CPU branch of PhysX, not the GPGPU branch, this means no CUDA hardware acceleration

That said, 3.3 is SIMD aware were 2.8 under Unity 4 was x87 only, so PhysX 3.3 can be a lot faster than 2.8, we just don't know how much extra performance this will translate to for KSP yet

[Edit] I was citing a source regarding the info from Squadcast, not making some kind of judgement, sorry if it came off that way.

Edited by NoMrBond

I can answer both of these one questions :)

Just a quick question to devs about 1.1 (or whatever the unity 5 update will be named):

There will possibly be a standalone U5 update, and then 1.1. will come out later. This was announced on the last Squadcast.

Are there any planned performance improvements, especially towards highish part count ships?

Squad has specifically said on several occasions (I have no specific examples, sadly, but it's enough to consider it "generally known" that their official line is: They don't know, exactly. They've seen improvements, but until they get the game into the hands of the testers they will simply not be able to give any tangible numbers. And until we the public get it, those numbers even will be questionable. They've been bitten in the ... donkey ... so many times that they refuse to even speculate on what the numbers will actually be at this point. They could be testing things that make it look like a 15% increase, but it turns out the general player experience will be that you get only a 10% increase, or a 20% increase.

Note: They did not use those numbers, so don't start going around saying Squad has put a 20% performance increase into the game :D I was using them entirely as an example.

I accept that, and i guess i see why since the rigs the KSP devs are on are most likely 5+ghz 8 core CPUs, so it wouldnt be a fair test. As for physX upgrade, does KSP actually use physX for the physics calcs? ....
Echoing NoMrBond: I'm optimistic for some improvement. From other reading, I don't expect anything earth shattering, like easily doubling your parts count. KSP is using PhysX, but I think due to the Unity game engine, PhysX runs on CPU, not graphics card. So you will see the best improvement from a faster CPU. Ultimately tho, any KSP improvement just leads you to build a larger, more complicated structure, until you hit the performance wall again.

Eh... Would rather not have my entire lower screen filled with Kerbals (unless we can move the navball? Please?), but it would be nice to scroll through them all.

You can scroll through them all.

Or, unless you mean including the ones without an IVA?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.