Saved games won't load

The game won't load my saved games. I get to the "Start Game" menu, click on "Resume Save" and the window comes up. I select my save and hit "continue". The button depresses until I release, but nothing happens.

1-I quit and restarted.

2-I rebooted.

3-I generated a new game, that would load, but the old ones wouldn't (but see below)

4-I reinstalled while keep my "saves" and "GameData" folders and my settings.cfg file.

5-I removed all my addons.

Nothing worked. Except that removing all my addons preventing the game I generated in #3 from loading.

I'm running 1.0.4 on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.5

I can't find a file called outpupt_log.txt or player.log. I did find one called KSP.log...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zghj6n7pz3pgliz/KSP.log?dl=0

The game won't load my saved games. I get to the "Start Game" menu, click on "Resume Save" and the window comes up. I select my save and hit "continue". The button depresses until I release, but nothing happens.

1-I quit and restarted.

2-I rebooted.

3-I generated a new game, that would load, but the old ones wouldn't (but see below)

4-I reinstalled while keep my "saves" and "GameData" folders and my settings.cfg file.

5-I removed all my addons.

Nothing worked. Except that removing all my addons preventing the game I generated in #3 from loading.

I'm running 1.0.4 on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.5

I can't find a file called outpupt_log.txt or player.log. I did find one called KSP.log...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zghj6n7pz3pgliz/KSP.log?dl=0

I've had that happen on windows, and it turned out to be a corrupted save file. Try booting up without your savefiles in, if it loads a new one, you know it is one of the .sfs you have in there. you may try hunting for ones that do work, then, like quicksaves and/or backups. If you rename them to pertistent.sfs, the game will try to resume them as if they were your main save.

Rune. And if you don't have recent backups, I feel for you, bro.

Definitely a bad save.

[ERR 15:34:37.305] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state

It may be salvagable, but there may also be a lot more missing than just the roster, I wonder why it's bad though, were you using any mods in the past that changed crew?

• 3 years later...

Hi there!

Even though this is an older thread, it is the top result when googling "KSP Saves won't load" so I'll put my solution here for visibility if that's alright :3

I have 1500+ hours in KSP and have had this happen to me 3 times now. Upon the most recent time I experimented around and found a few ways to solve this. The problem seems to stem from the game trying to load a wonky persistent save file. 

For clarity this is a fix for career mode saves which says in green "Just Started!" instead of giving you your career stat readouts. When you click on the save to load your game, nothing happens. Not even a loading screen, the game just ignores you. That being said these fixes would likely work for sandboxes as well.

NOTE: Reinstalling the game will not help as the problem is in the save file for your game.

- Getting Started

All three fixes start with getting to the problem save's file location. 

Open Steam -> Right Click Kerbal Space Program in the Steam Library -> Select Properties -> Select Local Files -> Select Browse Local Files -> Open the folder labeled "Save" -> Open the folder for your Career save which won't open -> Copy and paste everything here to a file somewhere else on your computer JUST IN CASE! :3

- Fix #1

From the problem save folder's location open the folder labeled "Backup" -> Copy and paste the second most recent persistent save back into the previous folder with all of the other saves -> once back in the folder with the other saves locate and delete the file named "persistent.sfs" (Do not delete "persistent.loadmeta") -> locate the backup persistent save you just copy and pasted in and delete the date in that file's name so it reads "persistent.sfs" -> Boot up the game and your save should now say your career readouts instead of saying "Just Started!" It should start no problem but with a bit of progress lost. -> You should also be able to access you manual and quicksaves to find the most recent save so you lose as little progress as possible :3

- Fix #2

From the problem save folder's location locate and delete the file named "persistent.sfs" (Do not delete "persistent.loadmeta") -> locate your most recent manual save's file ending in ".sfs" then copy and paste it in the same location -> Find the copy you just made and rename it "persistent.sfs" -> Boot up the game and your save should now say your career readouts instead of saying "Just Started!" It should start no problem but with a bit of progress lost. 

- Fix #3 (The Nuclear Option) 

Boot up Kerbal Space program and start a new career mode which you would like to replace your problem save -> Just after starting up your new career mode exit to the Main Menu then close the game -> Open up the problem save's folder as well as your new career save's folder -> Copy and paste all of your ships from the VAB and SPH into your new save's "Ships" folder from your problem save. -> Copy and paste a few of your most recent Manual saves from your problem career to your new one. as well as the most recent persistent saves from your backup folder (DO NOT copy and paste the "persistent.sfs" as this is most likely the problem file in the first place.) -> Boot up the game and open your new career mode -> From the Kerbal Space Center open the menu and try loading your saves you copy and pasted from the problem career -> Hopefully it should load just fine! -> Head back to the space center and Exit to Main Menu -> Your new career save should now say your old career readouts instead of saying "Just Started!". You should now be back on track with only a bit of progress lost. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Tweedler
Emphasizing the need to back up save files before fiddling about

13 hours ago, Tweedler said:

Open Steam -> Right Click Kerbal Space Program in the Steam Library -> Select Properties -> Select Local Files -> Select Browse Local Files -> Open the folder labeled "Save" -> Open the folder for your Career save which won't open -> Copy and paste everything here to a file somewhere else on your computer JUST IN CASE!

And if we don't have our KSP on Steam?

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, but if you could find your way to the games files wherever they were downloaded on your computer it would probably be the same :3c

If anyone tries any of my fixes on a non-Steam edition please let us know here how it worked! 

1 hour ago, Tweedler said:

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, but if you could find your way to the games files wherever they were downloaded on your computer it would probably be the same :3c

If anyone tries any of my fixes on a non-Steam edition please let us know here how it worked! 

You just go to the KSP root directory, or just search for 'KSP' on your computer and you should be able to find it

• 10 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 4:44 AM, Tweedler said:

Hi there!

Even though this is an older thread, it is the top result when googling "KSP Saves won't load" so I'll put my solution here for visibility if that's alright :3

I have 1500+ hours in KSP and have had this happen to me 3 times now. Upon the most recent time I experimented around and found a few ways to solve this. The problem seems to stem from the game trying to load a wonky persistent save file. 

For clarity this is a fix for career mode saves which says in green "Just Started!" instead of giving you your career stat readouts. When you click on the save to load your game, nothing happens. Not even a loading screen, the game just ignores you. That being said these fixes would likely work for sandboxes as well.

NOTE: Reinstalling the game will not help as the problem is in the save file for your game.

- Getting Started

Open Steam -> Right Click Kerbal Space Program in the Steam Library -> Select Properties -> Select Local Files -> Select Browse Local Files -> Open the folder labeled "Save" -> Open the folder for your Career save which won't open -> Copy and paste everything here to a file somewhere else on your computer JUST IN CASE! :3

- Fix #1

From the problem save folder's location open the folder labeled "Backup" -> Copy and paste the second most recent persistent save back into the previous folder with all of the other saves -> once back in the folder with the other saves locate and delete the file named "persistent.sfs" (Do not delete "persistent.loadmeta") -> locate the backup persistent save you just copy and pasted in and delete the date in that file's name so it reads "persistent.sfs" -> Boot up the game and your save should now say your career readouts instead of saying "Just Started!" It should start no problem but with a bit of progress lost. -> You should also be able to access you manual and quicksaves to find the most recent save so you lose as little progress as possible :3

- Fix #2

From the problem save folder's location locate and delete the file named "persistent.sfs" (Do not delete "persistent.loadmeta") -> locate your most recent manual save's file ending in ".sfs" then copy and paste it in the same location -> Find the copy you just made and rename it "persistent.sfs" -> Boot up the game and your save should now say your career readouts instead of saying "Just Started!" It should start no problem but with a bit of progress lost. 

Boot up Kerbal Space program and start a new career mode which you would like to replace your problem save -> Just after starting up your new career mode exit to the Main Menu then close the game -> Open up the problem save's folder as well as your new career save's folder -> Copy and paste all of your ships from the VAB and SPH into your new save's "Ships" folder from your problem save. -> Copy and paste a few of your most recent Manual saves from your problem career to your new one. as well as the most recent persistent saves from your backup folder (DO NOT copy and paste the "persistent.sfs" as this is most likely the problem file in the first place.) -> Boot up the game and open your new career mode -> From the Kerbal Space Center open the menu and try loading your saves you copy and pasted from the problem career -> Hopefully it should load just fine! -> Head back to the space center and Exit to Main Menu -> Your new career save should now say your old career readouts instead of saying "Just Started!". You should now be back on track with only a bit of progress lost. 

Hope this helps!

I just experienced this, freaked out, did a search, and this thread popped up. To anyone who experiences this problem, follow any of the three fixes mentioned by Tweedler . Just make sure to back-up, just in case, and boot the game AFTER performing the "persistent.sfs" file swap. Also, if you don't have Steam just find the KSP directory in Program Files, etc., as suggested by The_Cat_In_Space.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys.. thanks for the information.. i did just like the fix#1 and it works.. but somehow everytime i get back in to the game from the main menu after rebooting ksp and the save finally loaded successfully, the saves won't load again.. it only works one time after replacing the persistent.sfs file and rebooting the game.. and after we re back in to the game again... the loading won't work.. is there something that i can do to fix this??.. so the load gets working well back again like it used to be without necessarily keep replacing the persistent file and rebooting the game everytime i want to load certain save file..

• 10 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 4:44 AM, Tweedler said:

Hi there!

- Getting Started

- Fix #1

- Fix #2

Hope this helps!

I'm missing my persistent save file.

34 minutes ago, Jebediah Kerman - Earth said:

I'm missing my persistent save file.

Grab one of the backup persistent files (in saves/your save name/backups), paste that into saved/your save name and rename it persistent.sfs, that should salvage it but you’ll lose a bit of progress.

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 5:44 AM, Tweedler said:

Hi there!

- Getting Started

- Fix #1

- Fix #2

Hope this helps!

Thx for this tip Fix #1 got my file working again! Thanks to taking the time to answer this old thread its still useful years later!

• 8 months later...
19.02.2019 в 13:44, Твидлер сказал:

Всем привет!

Несмотря на то, что это старая ветка, это лучший результат при поиске в Google «KSP Saves не загружается», поэтому я поместил свое решение здесь для наглядности, если все в порядке : 3

У меня более 1500 часов в KSP, и это случилось со мной уже 3 раза. В последнее время я экспериментировал и нашел несколько вариантов решения этой проблемы. Проблема, вероятно, повторится с тем, что игра может загрузить шаткий постоянный файл записи. 

Для ясности, это исправление для сохранений в режиме карьеры, где написано «Just Started!» вместо того, чтобы предоставить вам данные о вашей карьере. Когда вы нажимаете на сохранение, загружаете свою игру, ничего не происходит. Даже не загрузочный экран, игра вас просто портит. При этом, вероятно, будут работать и для песочниц.

ПРИМЕЧАНИЕ. Переустановка игры не поможет, так как проблема в файле записи вашей игры.

- начало

Все три случая возникают с доступом к месту записи файла проблемы. 

Откройте Steam -> щелкните правой кнопкой мыши Kerbal Space Program в библиотеке Steam -> выберите «Свойства» -> выберите «Локальные файлы» -> выберите «Просмотреть локальные файлы» -> папки папки с надписью «Сохранить» -> папки папки для хранилища ваши карьеры, которые не будут открыты -> Скопируйте и разместите все здесь в файле, где-нибудь еще на следующем компьютере НА СЛУЧАЙ! :3

- Исправление №1

В папке проблемы открываются папки с записью «Резервное собрание» -> Скопируйте и вставьте самое постоянное восстановление в предыдущую папку со всеми другими собраниями -> вернувшись в папку с именами собраний, найдите и удалите файл с именем «persistent.sfs» (не удаляйте «persistent.loadmeta») -> найдите резервную принудительную записку, которую вы только что скопировали и вставили, и удалите имя этого файла, чтобы оно читалось как «persistent.sfs» -> загрузка игры и ваше сохранение теперь должны говорить о вашей карьере вместо того, чтобы говорить «Только что начал!» Он должен воспроизводиться без проблем, но с потерей имеющегося прогресса.-> Вы также должны иметь доступ к своему архиву и быстрому сохранению, чтобы найти самое важное для сохранения, чтобы вы потеряли как можно меньше прогресса: 3

- Исправление № 2

В папке проблемы найдите и удалите файл с именем «persistent.sfs» (не удаляйте «persistent.loadmeta») -> найдите файл вашего последнего ручного списка, оканчивающийся на «.sfs», скопируйте и вставьте его в то же место. location -> Появилась, которую вы только что сделали, и переименуйте ее в «persistent.sfs» -> Загрузить игру, и в будущем сохранении теперь должны быть указаны данные о вашем карьере, а не «Just Started!». Он должен воспроизводиться без проблем, но с потерей имеющегося прогресса. 

- Исправление № 3 (ядерный вариант) 

Загрузите программу Kerbal Space и запустите новый режим карьеры, который вы хотели бы заменить сохранением проблемы -> Сразу после запуска нового режима карьеры выйдите в Главное меню, затем закройте игру -> Откройте папку сохранения проблемы, а также папка сохранения вашей новой карьеры -> Скопируйте и вставьте все свои корабли из VAB и SPHв папку «Корабли» вашего нового сохранения из проблемного сохранения. -> Скопируйте и вставьте несколько последних сохранений руководства из проблемной карьеры в новую. а также самый последний список из вашей папки резервных копий (НЕ копируйте и в просмотре «persistent.sfs», так как это, скорее всего, и есть проблемный файл.) -> Загрузить игру и открыть новый режим карьеры. -> Из меню представителей Kerbal Space Center и попробуйте загрузить свои кабинеты, которые вы скопировали и вставили из проблемной карьеры -> Надеюсь, они загрузятся нормально! -> Вернитесь в космический центр и зайдите в главное меню -> В следующем сохранении карьеры теперь должны быть ваши старые карьеры, а не «Только что начал!». Теперь вы должны вернуться на правильный путь с потерей незначительного прогресса. 

Надеюсь это поможет!

когда я попробовал эти варианты исправлений у меня все получалось , только корабли не загружались из за недостатка деталей. И я решил сделать термоядерный вариант - это взять скачать ещё один ksp(я спиратил поскольку у нас он больше не продаётся ) перенес на него сохранения сделал все как во 2варианте и перенес все моды, и все заработало прекрасно

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.