[1.0.5] Custom Clusters - More freedom in engine design (No longer supported)

Randazzo

They do have tank butts if you use their attach nodes instead of surface attaching. They also have a nasty habit of vanishing after a scene change. I should just remove them.

If you use a mesh switch module rather than ModuleJettison that won't happen.

Oh, the two installs are mutually exclusive in CKAN. I'm sure that's not right. Hmm. I'll ask the CKAN guys what's up with that.

I was messing with all the new engines last night and they all gimbled just fine.

I imagine it does that because the stock adapters are already included with the main download. Downloading them both would just overwrite those files.

And yes, they do gimbal indeed.

Hi.

The adaptor+fairing component is extremely useful and much more elegant than my current solutions. Is it possible to place non-CustomCluster engines inside those fairings?

Should be. I sized them to the LV-T30. Nukes are too long.

I will eventually get around to making a second attachment node for longer engines as was requested earlier in the thread somewhere, I'm still futzing about with my fusion drive engine atm.

Hi Randazzo! I made a mod video on your work. Hope you enjoy.

Feel free to share it around, chuck it in the OP, etc.

Hey, thanks!

I would've liked to see how how staging those four nukes worked out. I bet it was spectacular! ;)

Clearly I need to get those adapters updated. lol

Hello Randazzo, awesome work!

A couple questions. I really love the engines! But the emitters are a bit bland, compared to the awesomeness that is the rest of the mod..

Second one, I can't seem to get the stock multicoupler to have attachment nodes anywhere... is it because I use tweakscale? Even at the default size, they just don't have any of the nifty additional attachment nodes

Hello Randazzo, awesome work!

A couple questions. I really love the engines! But the emitters are a bit bland, compared to the awesomeness that is the rest of the mod..

Second one, I can't seem to get the stock multicoupler to have attachment nodes anywhere... is it because I use tweakscale? Even at the default size, they just don't have any of the nifty additional attachment nodes

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it :)

I didn't add tweakscale support to those parts, so it shouldn't affect them at all. It's only the 2.5 to 1.25 adapters that have the extra nodes and fairings and they still exist alongside the stock ones. For example, the TVR-200L Bi-Adapter is stock. The TVR-200I Interstage Bi-Adapter is from the mod.

As for the emitters, I won't rule out custom FX as a possibility, but it's not on the agenda at the moment. I do agree the stock choices are a bit limited.

I've been using these engines extensively with their Real Fuels config in my RSS career (see link in signature). Sadly, they do not have a RealPlume config. Is there something that can be done to give them smoke effects?

I will look into it tonight. If it's not overly complicated I should be able to get it finished.

Edit: That's a half-fib. I will look at it tonight but I probably won't have time to work on it until tomorrow evening.

Edited by Randazzo

I will look into it tonight. If it's not overly complicated I should be able to get it finished.

Edit: That's a half-fib. I will look at it tonight but I probably won't have time to work on it until tomorrow evening.

Wow, thanks.

Your customizable engines are really great, I must say.

Wow, thanks.

Your customizable engines are really great, I must say.

Thanks, glad you like them :)

And it was much easier that I thought. Drop this cfg into the Custom Clusters folder for now, until I get something pushed over to Real Plume itself.

Edited by Randazzo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's just come to my attention that the CKAN download is not installing the necessary files for the tankbutts or fairing toggle to function. You'll find the downloaded zip file in your CKAN folder, or you can just download a copy from Kerbal Stuff or Curse.

Open it up and drag ALL the contents of the GameData folder within the zip file to your GameData directory, then everything will work.

Edited by Randazzo

• 2 weeks later...

Randazzo, is there a separate version with just the tankbutt-toggles and the interstages on stock adapters? I really would love it, but it is OK if it's a little useless for you to do. Also to save some RAM why not use stock interstage textures so it's stockalike as well as being awesome. Also, have rep for this, very nice.

Randazzo, is there a separate version with just the tankbutt-toggles and the interstages on stock adapters? I really would love it, but it is OK if it's a little useless for you to do. Also to save some RAM why not use stock interstage textures so it's stockalike as well as being awesome. Also, have rep for this, very nice.

I'm not sure I entirely understand the question. I couldn't create something to remove the tankbutts from the stock engines, if that's what you mean, at least not without creating new models. The modified stock adapters are available separately in the standalone download. All the engine fairings and interstage adapters use stock textures. The tiny .dds files included in their respective folders are necessary dummy placeholders.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like it :)

I'm not sure I entirely understand the question. I couldn't create something to remove the tankbutts from the stock engines, if that's what you mean, at least not without creating new models. The modified stock adapters are available separately in the standalone download. All the engine fairings and interstage adapters use stock textures. The tiny .dds files included in their respective folders are necessary dummy placeholders.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like it :)

I do have one more question, does this have any issues with the Procedural Fairings clusters? I use those too, so it would be nice to know.

I do have one more question, does this have any issues with the Procedural Fairings clusters? I use those too, so it would be nice to know.

No issues that I'm aware of, but if you come across any I'll be happy to try and get them worked out ASAP

Did I answer your previous question adequately? I wasn't 100% sure what you meant about the tankbutts only.

• 2 weeks later...

*Randomly browses past this, stops, returns*

Waitamoment. Interstage adapters? Say whaaaat? Can I use them to just stackmount a single engine as well, or do they only take surface attachment and/or multiple engines?

Just recently I found myself losing sleep over how incredibly unsatisfied I am by not being able to properly undersize engines (i.e. having a 2.5m upper stage with just a terrier) in KSP without automatically running into issues with stack wobbliness and requiring extra struts and faiting bases and whatnot. Making dedicated interstage adapters never even occured to me! These would be perfect.

Of course, I understand if they're not made to accept single stack-mount engines, after all that is like the opposite of the focus of this mod. But I'll still try them anyway. If all else fails, maybe I can just add a suitable center node myself ;)

*Randomly browses past this, stops, returns*

Waitamoment. Interstage adapters? Say whaaaat? Can I use them to just stackmount a single engine as well, or do they only take surface attachment and/or multiple engines?

Just recently I found myself losing sleep over how incredibly unsatisfied I am by not being able to properly undersize engines (i.e. having a 2.5m upper stage with just a terrier) in KSP without automatically running into issues with stack wobbliness and requiring extra struts and faiting bases and whatnot. Making dedicated interstage adapters never even occured to me! These would be perfect.

Of course, I understand if they're not made to accept single stack-mount engines, after all that is like the opposite of the focus of this mod. But I'll still try them anyway. If all else fails, maybe I can just add a suitable center node myself ;)

They're made to work with the surface-attach engines from the mod, but if one were to add a center node for a single stack, they should otherwise continue to function the same way.

Just gave this a whirl, and it works precisely how I imagined it would. Very nice indeed. The adapters are definitely going into my future installs :)

And perhaps I can even teach the 1.25->0.625 multiadapters I'm adding through Near Future and RLA Stockalike to produce interstage fairings like the stock adapter variants you made. That will be great for electric engine upper stages... I'll finally be able to fit dual DS4G's into a normal launch stack!

Do those interstage fairings use the same mass per area as stock fairings do, by the way?

Edited by Streetwind