[1.0.5] Custom Clusters - More freedom in engine design (No longer supported)

Randazzo

u3HlZRH.png

Download: Spacedock | Curse

Download Stock Adapters Standalone: Spacedock | Curse

Custom Clusters assets distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License

Interstellar Fuel Switch by Freethinker distributed under CC-BY-NC License, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117932

ModuleManager distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License, with thanks to Ialdabaoth and Sarbian

Tired of being stuck with limited propulsion options? Construct your own engine clusters!

In addition to their mount capabilities, all engines are surface attachable to facilitate cluster construction. There are four surface attachable adapters with built-in interstage fairings: 1.25m Ultra-Light Interstage Cluster Adapter (for landers), 2.5m Ultra-Light Interstage Cluster Adapter (for landers), 2.5m Cluster Plate, and 3.75m Cluster Plate. Along with these, there is also a large 3.75m mounted Expanded Cluster Tank with a large base for attaching clusters and carries fuel but cannot be stacked, and three node-based adapters cloned from the stock 2.5m-1.25m multi-adapters.

Included in the download are optional high, medium, and low resolution textures. Medium resolution textures are installed by default.

Engine Gallery

knBEpy1.png

VC-L1 Tethys
WaP4XqA.png VC-1 Umbriel
BuqgzNN.png VC-5 Rhea
c9oK6jP.png VC-8 Triton
WrqbIa8.png VC-10 Titan

Stock Adapters

What's New

• Toadicus Tools dependency removed - Functionality available in stock editor (Thanks Toadicus!)
  • Heat emissive animations fixed

Q: What do I do with this pack?

A: As you might guess, make engine clusters. Attach a cluster plate to the bottom of your fuel tank (or don't, if you like weird looking floating engines), then attach engines. The standard and lightweight adapters can all be included in stacks.

Q: Do these replace stock engines?

A: No. There will situations where a single stock engine suits your rocket better. These are only intended to help remove some of the limitations of stock propulsion. They are also not intended to be "stockalike", though they have fairly similar statistics to their stock counterparts.

Q: This is too easy!

A: Don't use it! :sticktongue:

Known Issues: Currently None.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Edited by Randazzo

This looks interesting.

More ways to cluster engines is always good. :)

Edit: I thought you had included adapters with node attachment points as well, at least that's what it sounded like.

Edited by smjjames

This looks interesting.

More ways to cluster engines is always good. :)

Edit: I thought you had included adapters with node attachment points as well, at least that's what it sounded like.

No, sorry. I will clarify the OP.

This is specifically made without them so the engines can be placed however you choose. The attachment nodes are only for the interstage fairing so they can be included in stacks.

Updated with node-based interstage adapters based on the 2.5-1.25 stock multi-adapters. They are otherwise identical to their stock counterparts, unlocking in the same places on the tech tree.

Updated with node-based interstage adapters based on the 2.5-1.25 stock multi-adapters. They are otherwise identical to their stock counterparts, unlocking in the same places on the tech tree.

Any chance you can make a separate download for just those? Or is it safe to delete everything but them?

Any chance you can make a separate download for just those? Or is it safe to delete everything but them?

Don't forget to stab me in the other kidney.

You can delete everything else provided you leave the folder structure for the stock adapters intact: VanguardAstrodynamics/CustomClusters/Plates/StockAdapters

Don't forget to stab me in the other kidney.

You can delete everything else provided you leave the folder structure for the stock adapters intact: VanguardAstrodynamics/CustomClusters/Plates/StockAdapters

Nice work on the interstage for the stock adapters! I'll second minepagan but just delete things. Too many parts.

Nice work on the interstage for the stock adapters! I'll second minepagan but just delete things. Too many parts.

Ok, I've added the stock adapters as a standalone. Download link in OP.

Nice... been playing a 3.2X planets, 6.4X distance mod, clusters might help.

I bet that's a challenge with stock engines indeed!

THANK YOU. I want to have your babies. I don't know why Squad didn't make this stock from the start, but you've done wonderfully in making up for it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No, and you're welcome.

One suggestion: Could a second bottom node be added, in order to support LV-N clusters?

Could be done, there are multi-node heatsinks/active heat management units specifically for this purpose in my Heat Management mod if you don't care to wait.

Finally got a real chance to play with the various parts in this mod. AMAZING JOB Randazzo! I think you may have actually finally filled in the last few holes of my extensively modded engine setup to cover all thrust ranges as well as allowed me to reduce part count by eliminating other pieces that just became redundant. Thanks for the add-on and work!

Finally got a real chance to play with the various parts in this mod. AMAZING JOB Randazzo! I think you may have actually finally filled in the last few holes of my extensively modded engine setup to cover all thrust ranges as well as allowed me to reduce part count by eliminating other pieces that just became redundant. Thanks for the add-on and work!

Thanks, glad you like it. Sorry I missed this.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy, I'm enjoying the mod.

The 3.75m Expanded Cluster Tank doesn't seem to have a bottom attach node. Am I missing something?

I'd like to use it but there is no way to stick anything on the bottom of it.

If you get some time, can you post the bottom node line here. I would like to paste into the cfg.

Thanks very much.

Howdy, I'm enjoying the mod.

The 3.75m Expanded Cluster Tank doesn't seem to have a bottom attach node. Am I missing something?

I'd like to use it but there is no way to stick anything on the bottom of it.

If you get some time, can you post the bottom node line here. I would like to paste into the cfg.

Thanks very much.

It's not really meant to be stacked on anything. The bottom diameter is over 5m, so it won't function as an adapter.

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -3.46708, 0.0, 0.0, -1, 0.0, 3

Ooh, missed this! Sane looking, buttless engines? Grabbing.

They do have tank butts if you use their attach nodes instead of surface attaching. They also have a nasty habit of vanishing after a scene change. I should just remove them.