[1.1.3] Kerbal Animation Suite

MrHappyFace

Well, it's not *impossible* ;) though most definitely against the EULA. And possibly illegal.

Erm. The EULA also prohibits making multiple copies of KSP.

SQUAD has even said they didn't read it all the way through and don't really know what it says. They just copied it from somewhere else.

I believe they also said they would write their own sometime.

So I wouldn't worry about violating the EULA :P

This took me several hours to finally pull off - but not just because of AnimSuite:

Eay2foZm.png

I cheated with the smile - screencapped the "cheers" animation I made and then switched to time warp and took another screencap then merged them. Here's my feedback:

• it would be nice to have "poses" in addition to animations. I generally only do screenshots so posing the characters would be great. Right now I just have to make long animations to give me time to start another animation or two, or just do them one at a time and then patch the various poses together in post.
  • being able to reset all sliders to their default position
  • you can enable the editor while time warp is active but it won't pull the kerbal up to be manipulated
  • if you accidentally double-click the editor button, you can't actually exit
  • leaving the flight scene and coming back, the editor does not load regardless of whether or not you used it last time you were in the flight scene
  • I can't seem to create any keyframes when Val is loaded in the editor

I also am having a hard time understanding the key frame editor. I'm not unfamiliar with key frame editors at all, but this one I just can't seem to fully grok. I got two animations working (cheers and a sustained hand wave) but it was through a lot of trial and error without really understanding how I eventually got them to work the way I wanted. Well, close enough to it anyways.

There are a ton of bugs right now, but I'm working on a GUI rewrite that should make this mod significantly more stable. This is a development thread after all. :P

It will include a rewrite of the keyframe editor and the manipulation window, which should fix a lot of the issues you've listed.

Also, I didn't know about that timewarp issue, thanks.

Edited by MrHappyFace

If you want to play 2 animations at once, just set the 2 animation's layers to 2 different numbers other than 1-4 (stock animations) and add mixing transforms. You can use the Show Hierarchy Tree button when the second page of the animation window is open to add mixing transforms.

An excerpt from the unity docs on mixing transforms:

For example you might have a handwaving animation. You might want to play the hand waving animation on a idle character or on a walking character. Either you have to create 2 hand waving animations one for idle, one for walking. By using mixing the hand waving animation will have full control of the shoulder. But the lower body will not be affected by it, and continue playing the idle or walk animation. Thus you only need one hand waving animation.

In unity's animation system, layers are just a way of having multiple animations playing at a time, and there is a maximum of 1 animation playing at a time per layer.

You can use the number keys (not on the numpad) to play animations on the currently 'piloted' kerbal. You can play animations simultaneously on all kerbals using leftAlt+number, or leftCommand on mac.

You would press 2 keys at the same time to play 2 animations at the same time.

Edited by MrHappyFace

Just watched some of your videos, my favorite was probably the Star Trek docking sequence parody :D

New Update: Version 1.1.3.2

Changelog:

• Completely rewrote UI logic, making it more stable and more extensible
  • Improved Keyframe Editor to be more intuitive.
  • Added tooltips to Keyframe editor
  • Added saving layers to the .anim file
  • Now plays editor music while the animator is open
  • Improved error reporting and logging
  • Squashed many bugs, and some other small critters as well
  • Added more love

Fun Fact: My avatar is from the early stages of development of this mod.

Download: https://github.com/HappyFaceIndustries/KerbalAnimationSuite/releases/tag/1.1.3.2

Edited by MrHappyFace

okay so I still don't seem to fully understand the key framing. Just for a basic example:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Shouldn't clicking back to the first keyframe have loaded that same first pose? Instead when I press Play I get a very small, slow left arm motion over the course of the animation.

Being able to copy out the pose settings is nice so I can revert when I want to. A button to just put that bone back to the default pose would still be better tho.

How about a Mirror option for the various bones to easily create symmetry when needed?

ok new sequence:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Clicking directly back and forth between the two keyframes once you get to the last image makes the right arm move closer and closer back to the first keyframe position until it reaches it - then pressing play just has him sticking his left arm out for the duration of the animation.

The images were taken with a bunch of mods, but then I stripped to just Squad's folder with this mod and recreated the behavior.

Maybe I'm missing something with how the keystates are supposed to behave?

Could you recreate this again, then send me the resulting ouput_log.txt and .anim files?

Wow, that was pretty good. Were the facial expressions (mouth, not eyes) animated too, or were those just a coincidence?

If the Kerbals head was moving during the facial expressions then yes that was me. Everything else was just happiness. XD

I remember reading in dev notes ages back that the facial expressions are governed by some kind of fuzzy logic. I wonder if there's a way to poke at that to get control of the expressions? I don't think I remember seeing it as part of KerbalEVA, and it obviously works in other situations, so I guess there's probably another class.... Sorry for the random musings, just figured I'd share the thought! I'll have a poke about and see what I can find over the weekend.

I PMed danRosas, one of the developers, and he said this:

And for the interference... since we started implementing the Kerbals long before Mechanim was available, we're using both systems... A Mechanim one controls the expressions on both EVA/IVA and the other animations are run through code generated by HarvestR.

So it appears that the facial expressions are controlled by a separate system, which can interfere with the main animation system. Luckily, this makes it simple enough to disable it for the duration of the animation, using unity's AnimationClip.AddEvent method, and KSP's kerbalExpressionSystem class.

I installed the mod and I don't have an app icon. The mod works, I can play the preloaded animations and switch between them, but there's no icon to open the editor. (Yes I'm on EVA)

As always, replicate the issue on a stock install (except this mod) then send me the output_log.txt

Try it again, but this time, set the duration in the properties tab BEFORE adding keyframes. I think the duration was set to 0 seconds long, therefore any keyframes would technically be at the same time in the animation, and overwrite each other.

That one's on me, I forgot to define default values for the animation clip, so they default to zero. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.