The Dres-deroids

Captain Sierra

So I'm looking for some general information, thoughts, and opinions on the dres-deroids.

(There may be a third website revamp in progress and a mission series incoming. :cool:)

Some specifics I'm interested in:

What's the altitude/inclination/eccentricity range they spawn in?

How much luck have people had mining them?

Is it even theoretically possible to break even on a resourcing op?

They spawn pretty high up (I don't have the numbers offhand) but their inclination and eccentricity are pretty much zero. The delta-v requirements that far from Dres are pretty low, so as long as you collect enough Ore to fuel your next rendezvous you can keep it going pretty much indefinitely.

They spawn pretty high up (I don't have the numbers offhand) but their inclination and eccentricity are pretty much zero. The delta-v requirements that far from Dres are pretty low, so as long as you collect enough Ore to fuel your next rendezvous you can keep it going pretty much indefinitely.

Well good to know a single harvester can break even. Now time for my mission overengineering skills to kick in and try and get a net profit from it.

They can be quite painful to manage when they get too big, and depending on where they appear in the area. Whether they are internal or external, when simple procedures fail, excisional surgery may be used to...

...Wait.

I'm gonna make some coffee. Good morning everyone.

Edited by Plume & Akakak

The graphics are nice, but nicer would have been a mean altitude and a standard deviation (also far less band-width)

ME Excel function

"=AVERAGE([value1],[value2],[value3],...,[valueN])" or "=AVERAGE([Rx1Cy]:[RxNCy])" or "=AVERAGE([RxCy1]:[RxCyN])"

"=STDEV([value1],[value2],[value3],...,[valueN]) or "=STDEV([Rx1Cy]:[RxNCy])" or "=STDEV([RxCy1]:[RxCyN])"

If you are lazy count 20 roids. Take the lowest altitude, the highest, add the altitudes and divide by two.

The stddev is roughly (highest minus median)/2

Oh wow.... how many are there? Or do they spawn randomly?

Yes, they spawn randomly. Don't know how many there are; That would make an interesting experiment, just letting them keep spawning, tracking them, waiting for more. Could be a good way to drop your frame rate to 0. lol

But are there particular conditions to make them spawn? I have a rover on the surface and a ship in low orbit but nothing appears :-(

Before my ship even arrived, coming into orbit, while in map mode and zoomed out to a good degree, they started showing up. Just the same as while in map mode you start zooming out from Kerbin and they start appearing - same deal here. If you want to track them you'll have to do so in the Tracking Station, just like you would with asteroids found around Kerbin.

I haven't been to Dres since before 1.0, but I would imagine that the uniform flat orbital inclination would make them much easier to manage. Might be useful as a fueling depot for ships bound for Jool or Eeloo.

Due to Dres' inclination and the sizable braking burn involved, its probably more efficient to just go straight for Eeloo rather than the pit stop, but this is KSP where realism and efficiency are taken with a few grains of salt. :sticktongue:

Due to Dres' inclination and the sizable braking burn involved, its probably more efficient to just go straight for Eeloo rather than the pit stop, but this is KSP where realism and efficiency are taken with a few grains of salt. :sticktongue:

Besides the above, another problem with using Dres as a pitstop en route to Jool, Eeloo, or beyond, is that all the outer planets move so slowly with respect to each other that transfer windows between them take DECADES to happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.