Thoughts on a Grand Tour project... too dark maybe?

ShadowZone

Hey everyone,

I am starting to plan a Grand Tour including the Outer Planets Mod but without landing on Eve.

Thing is: my vehicle is designed in such a way that it can land on pretty much anything except Eve (okay... land, maybe, but not get back up into orbit). It also has a drill and refinery on board. However, I would still need some resupply depots... So here's my first question: does that still constitute as a Grand Tour if I use up to eight small stations carrying ore for the vehicle to convert into fuel?

Current plan would be:

Place 8 resupply depots around the system.

Launch probes to scan the planets/moons to locate optimal landing site (ore concentration).

Launch the GT vehicle proper (with some SRB help it can get into LKO by itself) and to the tour.

Now for the dark part: I want to do a YouTube series about this (those of you who know me know that that's kind of my thing... See also my signature). Since I am gunning for an OPM GT, there are nine main planets I want to visit (Moho, Eve, Duna, Dres, Jool, Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, Plock) besides Kerbin. Therefore I was thinking about styling the episode after the nine circles of Dante's Inferno as sort of an underlying theme.

The GT vehicle's name is "Orpheus" (greek mythology: guy who went into the underworld and came back), the resupply stations would be called "Eurydike" I to VIII, the Transfer vehicle to distribute those depots would be called "Charon" and the scanner probes will be called "Kerberos" I and II (one ion powered for the inner planets, one nuke powered for Jool (or mabe already Dres?) and beyond.

My second question to you: since KSP and almost everything about it is rather lighthearted, would you think using those rather sinister themes (Inferno, Greek underworld, ...) are sort of counterproductive? Especially since I probably won't stay very serious throughout the series...

Any other input about this idea you would like to share? Just bring it on :)

Current developments: GT vehicle, depot launcher, Charon transfer vehicle

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by ShadowZone

Is your road trip somehow invalidated when you get gas at the local gas station? No.

I see your point :)

However, there were some people who did a GT without having to refuel. So for some reason in my head a GT was something you did without any refueling.

But that was without real aerodynamics and the new challenges they brought.

All my Grand Tour plans involve refueling ships. I find it just as impressive as without considering that both involve a lot of planning, just in different areas.

E: For instance, here is the latest schedule I worked up (Earth time):

Tour Bus
Kerbin -> Duna : Departure Year 1, day 59 at 5:16:48, Arrival Year 1, day 125 at 11:16:48 - 1,679 m/s
Duna -> Eeloo : Departure Year 1, day 250 at 15:31:12, Arrival Year 2, day 311 at 23:12:00 - 2,757 m/s
Eeloo -> Jool : Departure Year 3, day 32 at 19:12:00, Arrival Year 4, day 93 at 22:24:00 - 2,932 m/s
Jool -> Dres : Departure Year 4, day 311 at 9:36:00, Arrival Year 5, day 352 at 11:26:24 - 3,272 m/s
Dres -> Eve : Departure Year 6, day 198 at 2:24:00, Arrival Year 6, day 350 at 15:07:12 - 4,054 m/s
Eve -> Moho : Departure Year 7, day 115 at 16:19:12, Arrival Year 7, day 185 at 2:24:00, Time of flight 69 days 10:04:48 - 3,889 m/s
Moho -> Kerbin : Departure Year 7, day 362 at 8:52:48, Arrival Year 8, day 23 at 4:28:48 - 4,139 m/s

Fuel Slugs
Refueler Dres : Departure Year 1, day 87 at 14:52:48, Arrival Year 1, day 235 at 2:24:00 - 4,005 m/s
Refueler Eve : Departure Year 1, day 145 at 3:07:12, Arrival Year 1, day 194 at 19:07:12 - 2,657 m/s
Refueler Eeloo : Departure Year 1, day 171 at 9:36:00, Arrival Year 2, day 278 at 7:55:12 - 3,552 m/s
Refueler Jool : Departure Year 1, day 283 at 6:24:00, Arrival Year 2, day 221 at 16:57:36 - 4,721 m/s
Refueler Moho : Departure Year 1, day 341 at 16:00:00, Arrival Year 2, day 6 at 20:00:00 - 4,178 m/s

Landers/Support Craft
Lander Tylo : Departure Year 1, day 283 at 6:24:00, Arrival Year 2, day 222 at 4:24:00 - 4,721 m/s
Lander Laythe : Departure Year 1, day 283 at 6:24:00, Arrival Year 2, day 222 at 4:24:00 - 4,721 m/s
Lander Eve : Departure Year 5, day 37 at 12:00:00, Arrival Year 5, day 79 at 20:33:36 - 2,292 m/s

Gotta say, I love everything about this. IMHO this counts as not only a great plan for a GT but a great story as well. The dichotomy between their silly green faces and their courageous struggle thru the hellish void for years on end fills me with joy. Looking forward to the mission report. :)

Yes and No. You have the liberty to determine what constitutes as a grand tour. If a challenge requires no refueling, then it wouldn't count, but if you are doing it on you own you can decide.

To me, a Grand Tour would consist of a single ship; either a single launch or a singe vehicle assembled in orbit. Really you can decide to send parts of the ship to its destinations ahead of time or not.

Since your craft has a drill and refinery it should be self sufficient, but you say otherwise. You will just have to live with the fact that you completed a Grand Tour with refueling. Nothing more.

My second question to you: since KSP and almost everything about it is rather lighthearted, would you think using those rather sinister themes (Inferno, Greek underworld, ...) are sort of counterproductive? Especially since I probably won't stay very serious throughout the series...

Given that all my Kerbals are pressganged and shanghaied into space, subjected to brutal discipline by bucko mates, and generally abused just like sailors on 19th Century clipper ships, and all come from a society that actively practices Kerbal sacrifice to the Kraken, I have no problem with this.

All my Grand Tour plans involve refueling ships. I find it just as impressive as without considering that both involve a lot of planning, just in different areas.

My one and only grand tour plan consisted of a single vessel (depending on what you call single -- there was a detachable lander). Lander scouts out ore on the ground, mothership lands, refuels, continue. Capable of everywhere but Eve, in ~150 parts for the whole Shebang.

I made it to Duna, Ike and Gilly before I got bored.

My one and only grand tour plan consisted of a single vessel (depending on what you call single -- there was a detachable lander). Lander scouts out ore on the ground, mothership lands, refuels, continue. Capable of everywhere but Eve, in ~150 parts for the whole Shebang.

I made it to Duna, Ike and Gilly before I got bored.

This is another reason why I am just as impressed with single-ship vs. refueler tours: effort.

Who cares what qualifies as a grand tour. Forget grand tours. This will be the Inferno Tour! I love the theme especially the name of the ship. Very appropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta say, I love everything about this. IMHO this counts as not only a great plan for a GT but a great story as well. The dichotomy between their silly green faces and their courageous struggle thru the hellish void for years on end fills me with joy. Looking forward to the mission report. :)

Yes! Seconded!

Edited by Red Iron Crown

BTW, while using the "pre-seeded" fuel depots is okay, their deployment shouldn't be excluded from the mission curriculum. Don't treat them as if "they were always there", just sacrifice half a chapter to the process of putting them there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.