Star Wars fever: A-Wing

Hey folks,

It's been a long time since I've played KSP, much less posted anything on the forums. However, when I checked the forums out of curiosity the other day and noticed a plethora of Star Wars crafts, I got the urge that seems to be going around. I booted up the game and whipped up this A-Wing fighter as my contribution to the SW frenzy.

Capable of vertical take-off, good atmospheric handling, and space flight, this little guy is a blast to just play around with or use in your epic Star Wars armadas. Part count is 176. Enjoy!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Let me know what you think!

GATOR

------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD

Edited by gGATORr

Thanks guys! Glad y'all like it!

You should try a B-wing. But nice job, Green Leader!
Yeah, this looks awesome! How about a TIE Fighter?

I've actually made both of those (well, TIE Interceptor)! Check out this

! Although... that was a long time ago, and I didn't do that great of a job...

- - - Updated - - -

Is it stock, i'd love to see a sketchfab. I could even upload one for you if you want. Kind of reminds me of this batman beyond batmobile I built way back in the day

http://i.imgur.com/TuY6AkL.png

Nice! Yes, it is stock. I'm not entirely sure what a sketchfab is, but if you'd like the .craft file, I'll gladly post it. Any chance you could give it a proper Rebel Alliance paint scheme using Kerbpaint? I'd love to see how it looks with the red detailing, but my computer doesn't get along with mods too well...

I'm adding this to my collection of Star Wars replicas along with MajorJim's AT-ST and Mad Rocket Scientists Y-Wing. Very nice job! You don't mind if I use it in a video do you? - (Possible explosions)

I think we're getting to the point where Star Wars replicas need their own sub-forum.

JR

You should try a B-wing. But nice job, Green Leader!

That brings back memories of when I actually made that work, as a no-tricks-involved stock VTOL SSTO with working S-foils. I bothers me now that I didn't go the extra mile and made a rotating cockpit too. I doubt the new aero would let me do the same, tough...

lpp2Yln.png

ewZ0YL9.png

Rune. Really sweet A-wing, BTW.

Download link is now in the description.

That brings back memories of when I actually made that work, as a no-tricks-involved stock VTOL SSTO with working S-foils. I bothers me now that I didn't go the extra mile and made a rotating cockpit too. I doubt the new aero would let me do the same, tough...

http://i.imgur.com/lpp2Yln.png

http://i.imgur.com/ewZ0YL9.png

Nice! I'd be interested to know more about how you rotated those S-foils - if it's still a practical method in 1.0.

http://i.imgur.com/lpp2Yln.png

http://i.imgur.com/ewZ0YL9.png

It's not a trick. It's just a simple trick. LOL :wink: With that many reaction wheels anything will fly!, (would fly?)..

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! I'd be interested to know more about how you rotated those S-foils - if it's still a practical method in 1.0.

Yup, he just used the magnets in those docking ports on the side. Detach on, the other grabs it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm adding this to my collection of Star Wars replicas along with MajorJim's AT-ST and Mad Rocket Scientists Y-Wing.

JR

Woohoo! I'm happy you like my AT-ST. That was one hell of a tricky build.

Yeah, they are independant probes. And since they were SO low mass, docking them was a mess, since SAS would freak out. Actually, they were the reason I never released it. ^^'

It's not a trick. It's just a simple trick. LOL :wink: With that many reaction wheels anything will fly!, (would fly?)..

Actually, it had a decent CoM/CoL placement with the S-Foils closed, barely any roll torque. The issue those reaction wheels solved was a) be low mass so I didn't have to put a bigger counterweight, B) carry no fuel so their mass didn't change in flight and, yes, c) add some cheaty longitudinal stability, for pitch/yaw control with almost no lever arm. IIRC it flew with most turned off.

Rune. I also have a Slave I somewhere... but it's probably ancient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.