Need help to reinvigorate KSP

LaDouche

Hey,

I'm relatively new to this game, started playing during 0.22 somewhere. I've been gaming for my whole life, but when I picked this game up it was like nothing I've experienced before. I'm sure it's the same with most of you, this game totally changed the way I think about space and science in general.

Steam says I'm almost at 2000 hours played (thats excluding other installs). I've never ever played a single game this much.

My point with all this is I'm starting to loose the will to play the game. Am I burned out? Probably. I check these forums every single day and the subreddit for new inspiration. It feels like I've tried every single mod out there so I'm quite sure it's not a content issue. I've started so many careers and I never really "finish" any of them. I just start a new one and do the same stuff again just because I tried a new mod or something other. It just feels like I have no goals in my games. I obviously don't have the imagination to think up something convoluted to do. Man, if I have to land on Minmus ever again to collect science... It just makes me loose all creative energy to repeat the same thing over and over.

Please, don't get me wrong here. Obviously, it's not the games fault. I'm 100% aware this issue is on my side and I still feel this is one of the best game ever.

Have any of you experienced this? Got any tips to overcome this obstacle I'm facing?

Oh, I experienced that plenty of times. In fact, I just returned to KSP from being burned out on it. I'd say it's better for you to just play other games, as forcing yourself to enjoy KSP will just give you the opposite effect and will feel like a chore. Like Richy said above, you'll eventually come back to the game. Yes... you can't escape... you'll be one of us. Resistance is futile. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Have you tried hard-mode? Or at least disabled the ability to revert and quicksave/load? Those options alone add a whole new element of challenge. If you have, then just take a break until the next release.

Writing and posting mission reports reinvigorated my game. Communicating the events to others made them more real to me, and gave me something I could look back on to 'relive' the fun. When I started putting reports in comic form, it added a creative element and also pushed me towards missions that would generate interesting images and storylines. Having about 253.57% more fun than ever now :)

Have you tried hard-mode? Or at least disabled the ability to revert and quicksave/load? Those options alone add a whole new element of challenge. If you have, then just take a break until the next release.

I have thought about it, but given the amount of mods I have to play with I'm really scared that the game might crash. If that does, my sanity will go wiith it. It is tempting though...

Other Games Are Available :D

But as far as KSP goes, to get a fresh experience I'd suggest one or both of:

* Get some fairly comprehensive parts mods you haven't tried before, and use only them, deleting or else ignoring the stock parts. (Note that deleting stock parts may break career by messing up the contracts).

* Get a mod that reworks the solar system. New Horizons is excellent and is what I'm using, Alternis Kerbol Reloaded is another choice that might be good for lower RAM usage, and there's always Real Solar System.

Edited by cantab

I'm relatively new to this game, started playing during 0.22 somewhere... Steam says I'm almost at 2000 hours played (thats excluding other installs). I've never ever played a single game this much.

Dude you have a crazy definition of "new" that I've never heard anybody ever use before.

You're burned out. Go play Rocket League or FTL or Invisible Inc or Cities:Skylines or something. Come back when you're getting the itch. You will.

I've quit playing twice now, over the past 2 years. The first time lasted about 2 weeks and the 2nd about a month and a half.

Blatant lies.
Nah, Factorio is awesome and I've even got more mileage out of Skyrim with Frostfall. Oh, and Pixel Dungeon is pretty much the best actual (not Steam catch-all "the hell are you smoking?") Roguelike ever.

OP, I've pretty much stopped playing KSP for a few months already, although I caught the modding bug again recently. Next update I'll probably play again for a time. Breaks are good.

I have thought about it, but given the amount of mods I have to play with I'm really scared that the game might crash. If that does, my sanity will go wiith it. It is tempting though...

Disable F9, not F5. You're allowed to create as many saves as you desire but load only in case of Kraken.

Dude you have a crazy definition of "new" that I've never heard anybody ever use before.

You're burned out. Go play Rocket League or FTL or Invisible Inc or Cities:Skylines or something. Come back when you're getting the itch. You will.

I've quit playing twice now, over the past 2 years. The first time lasted about 2 weeks and the 2nd about a month and a half.

You have excellent choices in games, 5th. I've played three of the four games you mentioned and really enjoyed myself. Never played Invisible Inc but now I may have to check it out.

Burnout can happen for any game. Remember that it's just a game even though the obsession-levels we can attain while playing it are a bit extreme. XD

I'm also taking a break from the game, been playing a lot of Starmade recently.

Edited by Xacktar

I usually stop playing for a few weeks post update, after all the work of getting the game working and waiting for mods i tend to not play for a few weeks

That being said, I try to aim for specific goals/roleplaying, set out before I start the career.

I have set space program goals to develop mun engineering, colonize the mun, travel interplanetary and establish working remote operated satellite networks.

each career play gives me new skills which get me further the next new game.

I have also tried to minimize the grind, I'll either engineer crafts so I only have to visit a biome once, or so I can hit 4 minmus biomes at the same time.

Now that I have a reliable 5 kerbal, individual-escape-pod rc rescue craft on standby, I don't bother with rescue missions unless I need new employees, and I do 5 at a time.

I also only do missions that I can accomplish "en-route" to my destination or that are parallel to the goals i have set myself, and only the highest yielding missions. I turn down about 98% of missions, while usually focusing on the "explore body" or "build base with space for 5 or less kerbals. This means that I can establish a nice uniform presence in the system while getting paid.

I find that the more I focus on what I WANT to do, vs playing in the sandbox, the less prone to boredom I am.

Anyway good luck finding inspiration

Hey,

I'm relatively new to this game, started playing during 0.22 somewhere. I've been gaming for my whole life, but when I picked this game up it was like nothing I've experienced before. I'm sure it's the same with most of you, this game totally changed the way I think about space and science in general.

Steam says I'm almost at 2000 hours played (thats excluding other installs). I've never ever played a single game this much.

My point with all this is I'm starting to loose the will to play the game. Am I burned out? Probably. I check these forums every single day and the subreddit for new inspiration. It feels like I've tried every single mod out there so I'm quite sure it's not a content issue. I've started so many careers and I never really "finish" any of them. I just start a new one and do the same stuff again just because I tried a new mod or something other. It just feels like I have no goals in my games. I obviously don't have the imagination to think up something convoluted to do. Man, if I have to land on Minmus ever again to collect science... It just makes me loose all creative energy to repeat the same thing over and over.

Please, don't get me wrong here. Obviously, it's not the games fault. I'm 100% aware this issue is on my side and I still feel this is one of the best game ever.

Have any of you experienced this? Got any tips to overcome this obstacle I'm facing?

It's not a simple issue. You will be burnt out after that much time. Stop playing career. It's so boring.

Either take a KSP break. Play something else. Do something creative in real life. It's important to have something real to show for your hard work.

Or, sit down and try to plan a complex mission in sandbox. Have you visited every planet and returned? If not, try it. Make an EVE return mission or a mission to laythe.

Push your limits. You may be surprised what you are capable of.

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

OP, its natural I think to become burned out from time to time. Personally, I have been on and off this game more than a couple of times these last 4 years, and each time I come back and get thoroughly entertained for many tens of hours.

A couple of suggestions that might help.

1. Remove most mods you have/use and focus on a particular one that has an overarching theme. Two strong contenders for that are imo the USI mods and BTSM respectively. I have found out that after some time playing around with the game modded, I tend to NOT play the game but just browse/update/change/look at different mods to *start a new game session*. Which never starts really at that point. You talk about the game, you engage in discussions about it, you watch/read other people playing it and you...don't play it.

2. Another example would be to change your gameworld significantly (by playing RSS or installing the OTM mod), but still keep your number of mods (especially part mods) down to a minimum.

3. Go play something else. There are tons of very entertaining games out there, there is really no reason to keep playing a single one (especially if you are bored doing it atm).

4. Take a break from gaming and do something else. Pretty straightforward really, the best way to change a situation that does not make you content is to...simply change it.

Hope that helps, cheers..C:

Edited by Dante80

Try RSS. It really adds a lot of things to re-learn and experiment with. I just installed RealFuels and not RO because that was a bit much for me.

6.4x Kerbin or Outer Solar System are also a good bets; diversify the game. If you are not already using CKAN, browse through the mods and try some you like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.