WIP: Deltaglider XR-1

Redneck

I really feel a need to apologize to you guys. I feel like im stringing you guys along. Thats not my intentions at all and I thank you guys for your patience. I want to get a test release out for you guys prolly more then you. Real life sometimes gets in the way I haven't forgotten and this will not become an abandoned project like so many others ive come across on this forum. So with that said guys I will make it happen I just dont want to put a actual date on the release because if I dont make the release date then that just pisses people off. But I will get it out to you guys real soon

I really feel a need to apologize to you guys. I feel like im stringing you guys along. Thats not my intentions at all and I thank you guys for your patience. I want to get a test release out for you guys prolly more then you. Real life sometimes gets in the way I haven't forgotten and this will not become an abandoned project like so many others ive come across on this forum. So with that said guys I will make it happen I just dont want to put a actual date on the release because if I dont make the release date then that just pisses people off. But I will get it out to you guys real soon

Hey, it's mod development. Real-life induced delays are a given. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

So, for the non-Orbiter people here, can you please explain the propulsion modes and flight profile of this and similar vehicles?

Outside of Orbiter, there are no comparable vehicles. It runs on an unknown high thrust, high specific impulse engine system that allows single-stage-to-Mars flights, dual retro-thrusters in the leading edge roots behind snap-action clamshell doors, and has a trio of engines in the belly (one fore, two aft in the wings) to allow for horizontal VTOL flight on airless or nearly-airless bodies across the Solar System. Some of the variation of the stock DG include:

The DG-IV-3, made by Dansteph, which seems to use an air-augmented cycle for lower-atmosphere work, has a small cargo bay (half the size of this one), and several eye-candy features like a tracking antenna and switchable paint jobs.

The XR1, which this is based off of, from Altea Aerospace. Twin Scramjets, no cargo bay, an APU to provide hydraulic power, and fully integrated thermal management and life support. It has two sister ships, the XR2 Ravenstar and the XR5 Vanguard, with a third still in development, the XR3.

are sstos in ksp not dead? like, who uses them any more? if anything, dont most people instead of attaching rockets to a plane, attach jets to a rocket? like, its simpler lift off profile, simpler landing, simpler... everything. and it worked.

Outside of Orbiter, there are no comparable vehicles. It runs on an unknown high thrust, high specific impulse engine system that allows single-stage-to-Mars flights, dual retro-thrusters in the leading edge roots behind snap-action clamshell doors, and has a trio of engines in the belly (one fore, two aft in the wings) to allow for horizontal VTOL flight on airless or nearly-airless bodies across the Solar System. Some of the variation of the stock DG include:

The DG-IV-3, made by Dansteph, which seems to use an air-augmented cycle for lower-atmosphere work, has a small cargo bay (half the size of this one), and several eye-candy features like a tracking antenna and switchable paint jobs.

The XR1, which this is based off of, from Altea Aerospace. Twin Scramjets, no cargo bay, an APU to provide hydraulic power, and fully integrated thermal management and life support. It has two sister ships, the XR2 Ravenstar and the XR5 Vanguard, with a third still in development, the XR3.

Thank you for the reasonable and helpful answer.

So we're dealing with a Rocket-SCRAM-Rocket crew transfer, or light cargo work, shuttle

- - - Updated - - -

are sstos in ksp not dead? like, who uses them any more? if anything, dont most people instead of attaching rockets to a plane, attach jets to a rocket? like, its simpler lift off profile, simpler landing, simpler... everything. and it worked.

They're more alive than ever, the most fun in the game, to be exact.

I am trying to get CKAN setup so you guys can get the needed mods also but it in itself requires some learning. Ill try to get it uploaded tonight after work. If any of you know how to setup CKAN that would help alot

A Work in progress has been uploaded to kerbal stuff link is in First post of this thread

Is it only me or does the body has too much oxidiser?

I tried to get in orbit with the main engine and when the fuel ran out, i still had 10705 units of Oxidiser left in the tank...

I can take a look when I get home, but just to wonder- what is the expected range of this in terms of planetary travelling?

Well I dont know. I will need your guys input on these kinds of things. Just remember though scrams are not implemented yet

380 downloads and thats awsome thank you guys. But there is one issue Id like to address. I need your guys input. After all those downloads nobody told me there was a black square in the center of the HUD. This issue is due to other mods. To fix this issue get the latest RasterPropMonitor download located here https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqhmekylfc310am/RasterPropMonitor-dev.0.23.0.zip?dl=0

The forum thread addressing this issue is here.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117471-1-0-4-RasterPropMonitor-still-putting-the-A-in-IVA-(v0-22-2-25-August-2015)/page55

You may or may not need the latest ModuleManager located here https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/

I will update the main post to address these issues

Edited by Redneck

Well, 300 tons seems a bit... Heavy to me.

you are right the xr is only supposed to weigh Empty Mass 12,000 kg which equals 13.2 tons. Ill see what I can do. I dont know if its the fuel maybe giving it extra weight. Ill look into it

EDIT yep its the fuel. working on it now.

EDIT 2 I got empty weight down now working on fuel weight and engine thrust using this for reference on page 76

http://www.alteaaerospace.com/downloads/releases/XR-Flight-Operations-Manual.pdf

Edited by Redneck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.