What happened to The Barn?

Broax

Does anyone know how things are with the barn? I remember it was removed from the 1.0 at the last minute and postponed to later update. Anyone can tell me how that whole thing is?

I was kinda looking forward to it.... :(

I am tempted to build my own barn using stock airfoil parts and release the craft file. You can then do fun things with it, like drive it around on a trailer, send it to orbit, colonize the mun with sheep farms, etc.

Edited by pandoras kitten

Rather seems like it's been dropped to me. Now we've got something that's decently modelled but looks like a freaking 1960s comprehensive school.

This. Been trying for ages to figure out what the Tier 0 facilities look like, now I know, it's my school. Just with less fire damage and green swimming pool water.

Yeah, I'm curious where it went too.

Rather seems like it's been dropped to me. Now we've got something that's decently modelled but looks like a freaking 1960s comprehensive school.
decently modelled

Hahahaha! Those buildings not only don't really look like something you'd find in a space center, they're also pretty...bad. Reminds me of when this happened:

I6OaQ95.png

Also reminder that 1 person (bac9) made a better set of buildings in the same amount or less time than three hardworking people at Squad did over the course of more than half a year.

I have to say I loved the barn, which unfortunately was revealed at a particularly persnickety time on the forum. Squad was obviously and justifiably proud of it, and I (and I think they) were surprised by the huge, negative reaction.

I'm not much of a computer guy, so I didn't notice the faults in what was undoubtedly an unfinished model until they were pointed out to me, but IMHO, the barn was beautiful, much better than the (hopefully just a) placeholder we have now. It was very Kerbal - cute and funny, and I hope they bring it back.

In the mean time, can someone link the Imgur album with the barn complex images? Maybe now after some time and distance we can discuss it with a less entitled perspective..

The barn was horrible, both in design and quality. It was a good idea to remove it back then. Even though the replacements are much better in quality, they still lack a lot and are still horrible, with lots of easily visible mistakes on them.

Compared to the preview pics we were shown of the barn and other early game stuff, the tier 1 and 2 we got is decently - not brilliantly, but decently - modelled and textured.

Yeah, agreed. I still see some noticeable seams in the models though, and they could be better.

The barn was horrible, both in design and quality. It was a good idea to remove it back then. Even though the replacements are much better in quality, they still lack a lot and are still horrible, with lots of easily visible mistakes on them.

Also agreed.

Compared to the preview pics we were shown of the barn and other early game stuff, the tier 1 and 2 we got is decently - not brilliantly, but decently - modelled and textured.

My favorite is the tier 2 buildings actually. Tier 3 is so big and developed, but Tier 2 has that industrial "we're a successful but young space agency" feel to it.

As for the barn, I don't feel it's necessary. We don't really need four tiers of buildings, and I like Tier 1 (minus the runway, since it's bumpier than the terrain next to it. You can make flat dirt runways people!)

I really loved the concept of the barn and trailer park, as the starting tier. But I agreed there were problems with the implementation and modeling. If they've cleaned it up a bit, I'd love to see it come back.

But, to me the #1 most lacking thing in the space center is simply the fact that we don't have large flood lights illuminating the pad at night. The small light on the water tower is nice, but not enough, IMHO. (yes, I'm thinking about ways to mod this, but I think stock should have it).

#BringBackTheBarn

I loved the idea of the tech 0 barn. I thought it was perfect for the game.

I was also shocked at the negative response, from people playing a game about little green men slapping rockets together. I guess the massive vacuum of a humor and whimsy in the playerbase was a bit shocking.

I would love to see it reintroduced with some updates. Maybe replace the wooden-looking textures on "the barn" with something like corrugated aluminum sheeting. Still looks cheap, but the wooden construction looks a little too heavy for a building of that size.

The trailers are a good idea, but feel a bit too much like a mobile domicile gathering park to me. Maybe replace them with some portable building modules, the kind used to add rooms to a facility campus without changing the architecture. That would feel a little more "professional" to me without looking expensive or established.

We do plan to bring the "Tier 0" buildings back in the future. I'm sure that when that time comes closer we'll see some pictures :)

Can't wait for this, personally I don't get what people have against the barn.

- - - Updated - - -

Just out of interest, what would people think if the game started with just an empty field and you had to buy buildings one at a time starting from run down barns and sheds?

Wait, there are actually people who want the barn? The one that looked like being clicked together in half a day from a five year old assets library?
I think it's rather that people want a barn.

Timber makes sense for the main building, you don't see too many metal barns at least not where I've been.

I think the hard thing to get right with tier 0 - and for that matter all the tiers - is the other facilities. VAB is easy, it's the biggest thing at the space centre. Launchpad and runway are trivial. SPH is pretty easy, just make something that looks like an aircraft hangar. Tracking station isn't too hard, though I might complement the telescope with a tall mast carrying some radio antennae, along the lines of a typical ham radio setup like http://www.ko4bb.com/ham_radio/Pumkin_Tower-2.jpg

But distinguishing R&D, Mission Control, the Astronaut complex, and the Admin Building, that's where the designers need to do their work. Some very rough ideas from myself:

Mission Control - The only "fortified" building, clearly protected from explosions so controllers could be there during launches.

R&D - I think the best thing would be some sort of obvious testing equipment outside. Not sure what, a rocket sled track might do the trick. And perhaps it would be better if R&D had the telescope (the higher levels do) and the tracking station was just a few radio masts?

Astronaut Complex - If this were the *only* facility using caravans, instead of them being all over the place, it might stand out more as the place people live. And maybe have a ping-pong table outside. Do Kerbals play ping pong?

Admin Building - I'm kinda stumped.

I think it's rather that people want a barn.

Yup. For those that play a lot of career, there's a noticeable big gaping hole in the building progression where the barn was obviously supposed to go.

If you take a look at stuff like the launch mass limit and part count upgrades, they jump from tight to almost immediate irrelevance in no time, indicating there's a level(s) missing there. Internally, the building upgrade system even recognizes more levels than we currently have and has values defined for them.

I personally don't care what they look like, I'd just really like to see that progression be more fleshed out (as it was intended to be) from a gameplay perspective.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.