So whats the deal with Orbital Sciences and Wallops?

Motokid600

I was so dissapointed when that Antares rocket blew up last year because I knew that we won't be seeing any more launches from Wallops, VA for a very long time if ever again. So since the accident Orbital has been very quiet.Too quiet.

And apparently at some point of time the company went under a new name of Orbital ATK. And with a new website. So that's concerning. I know iirc they do plan to launch what I'm guessing is a ressuply mission on a AtlasV rocket in November. But that won't be from Wallops... Will it? Afaik the Wallops flight facility and launch pad was catered to the Antares rocket which is no more. ( citation needed )

That launch site in particular is special to me. Because I can watch them launch from my backyard here in south Jersey. My friends and I would all get together, party up and watch the launch it was a lot of fun. So what exactly is the status of Orbital and the Wallops launch site? Can we expect flights from there in the future?

Edited by Motokid600

I was so dissapointed when that Antares rocket blew up last year because I knew that we won't be seeing any more launches from Wallops, VA for a very long time if ever again. So since the accident Orbital has been very quiet.Too quiet.

And apparently at some point of time the company went under a new name of Orbital ATK. And with a new website. So that's concerning. I know iirc they do plan to launch what I'm guessing is a ressuply mission on a AtlasV rocket in November. But that won't be from Wallops... Will it? Afaik the Wallops flight facility and launch pad was catered to the Antares rocket which is no more. ( citation needed )

That launch site in particular is special to me. Because I can watch them launch from my backyard here in south Jersey. My friends and I would all get together, party up and watch the launch it was a lot of fun. So what exactly is the status of Orbital and the Wallops launch site? Can we expect flights from there in the future?

Probably, once they complete repairing LC-0A at Wallops, the Antares 200 (powered by a RD-181 RP-1/LOX engine) will be flown from there, along with OrbitalATK's future Antares Rockets. The Atlas V is only a temporary measure.

Aren't the 181s closed cycle like the AJ26s were? I thought they were trying to get away from that style of engine because it was a little too explodey due to higher chamber pressesure.

Either way I more or less found my own answer I do apologise. Apparently this new Antares will fly in March 2016 from Wallops, VA. Good. Gives me plenty of time to plan a trip.

Edited by Motokid600

And apparently at some point of time the company went under a new name of Orbital ATK. And with a new website. So that's concerning.

That's because they had a merger with ammunition and solid rocket manufacturer ATK.

Even without Antares, there are occasional Minotaur (and possibly Athena) launches scheduled out of the other launchpad.

Aren't the 181s closed cycle like the AJ26s were? I thought they were trying to get away from that style of engine because it was a little too explodey due to higher chamber pressesure.

They're a similar rough configuration to the AJ-26s (Single-chamber Kerolox oxygen-rich staged combustion engines), but have a much simpler turbopump configuration and haven't been sat in a warehouse for 50 years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.