[WIP] MagneticEVA - Magnetic boots for your Kerbals!

*Aqua*

Hi everybody!

Some of you probably noticed I'm developing a magnetic boots funtionality for EVA'ed Kerbals.

Well, here it is and it's totally buggy! Do not use this for play! It isn't in a useable state! ;.;

For that reason I'd like to ask for help.

The behavior of the boots are very glitchy. The Kerbal sometimes gets stuck in the walk animation. On parts with complex shapes he'll tumble all over the place and can't get out of the ragdoll state if you don't toggle the boots off for a moment. Also he rotates foot-to-planet instead of foot-to-part.

I'll greatly appreciate it if someone can help me fix this. :)

You can grab the sources from here: https://github.com/Aqua-KSP/MagneticEVA

Edit: Compiled dll is now also available in the /bin/debug directory for quick tests.

Edited by *Aqua*

An asteroid is made from a part named potatoroid (no joke!) so it should work. On the other hand the asteroid's center is several meters below the surface, the magnetic boots may not be able to detect it. I never tested it so my answer is "yes" and "no". ^^

I don't advise you to use it for play yet. The plugin's not stable.

At the very least, allowing Kerbals to walk on surfaces that are meant to be level with the gravitational center of a celestial body should be doable (considering someone already managed a long time ago to make floating craft walkable) but it looks like walking on the surface of space stations is going to be a long process. My suggestion would be to at least get the first part of the features working (that is, reproducing the effects of the sea-sickness cure mod which isn't actually available anymore from what I can tell) and work on the rest later.

• 1 month later...

So far no progress. I didn't work on it for a while.

I'm unsatisfied by the fact that nobody at Squad thought about stuff like that. There are a number of hurdles to overcome because the game isn't designed to let Kerbals walk on something different than planets and moons.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.