KSP-Like Game Concept

KASA Space

I just came up with this game concept and wanted to see what people would think of it. I'll be developing it at some point and was just looking for other people's thoughts.

The Concept

The game would be like KSP career in a way, where you accept contracts to get funding and launch rockets and developing tech. It'd 2D and most likely pixel graphics.

However, the "science" would be a little different. Instead of using science points to unlock tech, science is more towards learning more about the solar system around you.

Science

Developing tech and processing science would be a slow process, where you put a limited team of scientists (and depending on the size of your team is how fast its done) to develop the new item, like a new engine or solar panel, or control pod. If your team is too small, you can contract a company to do it.

Since the solar system is randomly generated, every universe is unique, adding complete replay-ability. Since you can calculate the location of planets by eye (theoretically, like Galileo and Copernicus did), you know the positions and orbits, but not what they look like at start. Using unlocked tech of either a flyby or a space telescope you'd be able to render images of the planet in different detail.

Flybys would give you visual data (basically the high-res image of the planet), but nothing more, other than approximate size data. You'd need to hire scientists to get data gathered and compile it to return data like SOI and atmospheric height.

Time acceleration is a thing. I'm not sure if I could conceptually program physical acceleration, but I could do simulated time acceleration.

Rockets

Depending on what you already know, you could develop engines that were better for each environment. Kinda like tiers. So, there'd be atmospheric engines (jet engines), surface engines (rocket engines for an atmosphere), vacuum rockets, future-tech rockets (nuke engines), and economy rockets (less expensive, but less efficient).

Probes/Pods

Similar to rockets, there'd be tiers. Probes (and their tiers) and Pods (and their tiers) would all have to be researched.

One thing that would be a really cool concept is something where you can develop your own pods. The skin would be the same, but the internals would be custom researched. Same with engines and tanks and probes and all other items.

What do you think? Is it worth programming?

Edited by KASA Space
Clearing up some stuff.

Looks like Simple rockets with more realistic choices. Nice idea.

Question: This screen is from actual game project or just done in graphics editor?

Edited by PatPL

I think I'll start working on it this week if I can find the time. I've got some stuff I have every day this week, and Wednesday is a trip to Six Flags (yay) so hopefully I can find some time before the end of the week to get the formulas and equations translated into 2D space.

If anyone else has ideas, let me know!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.