[1.7-1.9] SMURFF: Simple Module adjUstments for Real-ish Fuel-mass Fractions 1.9.1 (02019 Nov 12)

Kerbas_ad_astra

On 12/3/2018 at 3:36 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

The "full" version of Interstellar Fuel Switch comes with a patch (InterstellarFuelSwitch/PatchManager/ActiveMMPatches/IntegrationLiquidFuelOxidizer.cfg) that adds a fuel switcher module to all parts.  SMURFF has code which should handle that, though.

Unfortunately, I need to ask you to sort through your mods and figure out exactly which ones are causing the issue.  I use most of those mods myself, and don't have this issue.

is a problem with IFS, but changing the parameters of dry/wet ratio in the configs of that mod in patch manager/activeMMpatches, for the integration liquid fuel and integration liquid fuel-oxidizer solved my problem. Thanks for help still

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that major solar system mods are not yet released for KSP 1.4, but I've got a little spare time right now, so I'll pre-emptively release SMURFF version 1.8.0 "Kerbal Equinox"!

• Updated xenon patches to new balance of stock tanks. Because those changes were made in KSP 1.4.0, this version and later versions are not compatible with KSP 1.3.1.

• 2 months later...

Any tweaks for realistic settings for stock planets?

I think it's a lot smarter to adjust settings based on Kerbins size, so we don't have to end up with 2 fps for a rocket barely able to get to LKO.

If you're playing on 10X, then everything's about the size of our solar system and leaving all the levers at "1" should be fine.  Maybe try 0.5 or so for 6.4X, 0.2 or 0.3 for 2X or 3.2X (or maybe 0, since that's kind of the point of doubling or tripling the size of the system, to make it harder but not impossible with stock parts).  I only use stock and RSS, so unfortunately I don't have any guidance from experience.

Basically I want fuel to be heavier. Engines be lighter, and command pods etc to be lighter.

How would I go about to add a filter to make engines 11.5% (engine weight*0.115) of their weight and increase both fuel/oxifider and tank weights by 20%(liquidfuel&oxifizer&tank weight*1.2)? Might make everything too easy, so then maybe a slider to increase the weight by everything, by say 5%, or even up to 10%.

Edited by Seio

I'm not sure why you would want fuel to be heavier, but making engines and command pods lighter is one of the things that SMURFF does.  You can change the values of "enginelever" and "podlever" to adjust the degree of lightening.  (0 means no change from stock, 1 is good for RSS and similarly-sized systems, and in-between is in-between.)

It's to keep the weight relatively normal for stock kerbin. If engines are ligther then something else has to be heavier, and I think fuel tanks and fuel take up the vast majority of rocket mass.

@Kerbas_ad_astra some question, just your humble opinion needed:

Playing stock system + OPM + ExtraSolar, but 10x Rescale (no Resize!) - so the planets and moons have the same sizes but 10x the semi-major axes.

This is kinda "dumb and weird" from some perspective, because the orbital speed is stock (so roughly ~2,300 m/s at Kerbin), but for "fuel efficient" transfers to another planets a lot more time is needed because the initial body-relative speed during eject is lower plus the distance is higher.

I'm not sure if I should set all SMURFF levers to 1.0 or to 0.5 or even set different values to tanklever, enginelever and podlever.

What is your suggestion?

I'm not sure I'd use SMURFF at all.  Your interplanetary transfer burns will be a few kilometers per second, but that's comparable to the dV requirement to LKO, which stock parts are well-balanced to handle.

If you must use SMURFF, I wouldn't set the podlever at all, have tanklever and enginelever no more than 0.5, and maybe even less.

• 1 month later...

@Kerbas_ad_astra actually I'm testing with a 10.625x resize and rescale.

I created this additional patch:
GameData\zFinal\zzz_SMURFF.cfg

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,!SigmaDimensions,!RealismOverhaul]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	// 1 = real-ish performance ("classic" SMURFF), 0 = stock, and anything in between is in between.  Probably shouldn't go beyond 1, since strange things might happen if too much mass gets subtracted.
	@tanklever = 0
	@enginelever = 0
	@podlever = 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions,!RealismOverhaul]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
	@tanklever = 1
	@enginelever = 1
	@podlever = 1
	@tanklever *= #$systemScale$
	@enginelever *= #$systemScale$
	@podlever *= #$systemScale$
	@tanklever /= 10.625
	@enginelever /= 10.625
	@podlever /= 10.625
	!systemScale = delete
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,SigmaDimensions,!RealismOverhaul]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@podlever += 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions,!RealismOverhaul]:HAS[#tanklever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@tanklever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions,!RealismOverhaul]:HAS[#enginelever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@enginelever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions,!RealismOverhaul]:HAS[#podlever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@podlever = 1
}

technically it works, but at that scale I cannot just use the same vessel to get into orbit at all, right?

I mean even not when rebuilding it from scratch with fresh parts from the part list.

For example a Bluedog DB Vanguard setup with a payload of a few kg does not exceed a dV of likely ~ 6,000 m/s what is less than a third of what is needed.

You say "Probably shouldn't go beyond 1, since strange things might happen if too much mass gets subtracted." ...

How could I achieve that I get about 66% more dV without having higher lever values than 1 ?

Could I patch internal values of the main SMURFF config?
And if yes, which ones and how?

I do this crazy tinkering because the ROMini.cfg does not fit, it creates weird overlapping at fairings and even more weirdness at Procedural Fairings.

I just hoped that SMURFF is capable of working with a RSS comparable scaling.

Edit:

I forgot™ that BDB uses the %SMURFFExclude = true ...

So to avoid that one inside the BDB patches:

@BDBRESCALECONFIG:HAS[#systemScale[>6.4]]:BEFORE[zzzBluedog_DB_1]
{
	@systemScale = 6.4 // Adjustments are not valid beyond this scale
}

I had to add this to my patch:

@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:NEEDS[SigmaDimensions,Bluedog_DB]:AFTER[zzzBluedog_DB_1]
{
	%bdbSystemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
}

I will test if that is enough to fix...

Edit:

That didn't work so I try it with this instead:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions,!RealismOverhaul]:AFTER[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@MODULE,*:HAS[#name[ModuleEngines*]]
	{
		tempx = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
		@tempx *= 0.056470588235294117647058823529412
		@tempx += 1
		@maxThrust *= #$tempx$
		!tempx = delete
	}
} 

@BDBRESCALECONFIG:NEEDS[SigmaDimensions,Bluedog_DB]:BEFORE[zzzBluedog_DB_1]
{
	@systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
	%scaleFactor = #$systemScale$
	@scaleFactor -= 1
	tempz = #$systemScale$
	@tempz /= 1.4143094841930116472545757071547
	@scaleFactor /= #$tempz$
	!tempz = delete
}

Edited by Gordon Dry
how crank will it become?

@Gordon Dry, if I understand correctly you are playing in a real-sized system, with BDB parts - but have those parts been resized to real-life sizes? 

SMURFF will give you realistic mass ratios, but all your tanks will still be at kerbal scale (~5/8 = 0.625:1).

This means that the tanks will only have approximately 0.6253 = 0.24 the volume of the real-sized tank and your delta-v will be too low.

I have tried to address this in the Transmogrifer* mod (link in my sig), which increases the size of all models to a realish size and increases tank capacity as well. Then it  SMURFF applies realistic mass ratios for the new volume. 

*Transmogrifier it is still a work in progress and not tested in current KSP, I just graduated and started a new job so I haven't been working at it much lately.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I've installed SMURFF today and I'm getting a single ModuleManager error:

[WRN 20:56:45.255] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key addedMass in SUBTYPE
[ERR 20:56:45.256] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key modMass = #$/MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[@SUBTYPE[LH2]]/SUBTYPE[LH2]/addedMass$

AFAICT, that's caused by the line #1022 in SMURFF.cfg.

Is it caused by an error in config, or is something else interfering here? I don't know MM syntax well enough to understand what's the root cause :).

2 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

That log doesn't reach the part where ModuleManager does its thing, and to help you, I need to see what part it was patching when the error occurred.

In Gist, click on "view the full file" or "Raw", it's there (search for [ERR 21:27:47.064])

Direct RAW links:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Marandil/4cb3afa381a10503c3923d8d25365a85/raw/43f31265743215e11bb99946eec918ef432a94a9/KSP.log
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Marandil/4cb3afa381a10503c3923d8d25365a85/raw/43f31265743215e11bb99946eec918ef432a94a9/ckan.list

The direct issue is that Tundra Exploration's B9 tank switching patch is not using the 'addedMass' variable, but line 1020 should be checking that the addedMass variable is used, so the patch shouldn't be acting on that part.  I'll have to test if that check is actually working as intended.

On 9/5/2018 at 5:02 AM, Walker said:

Hello,

It's not really a big deal, but it seems that SMURFF does not work with Universal Storage II mod - it does not affect mass of tanks added by this mod. I wrote about it in US II thread and Daishi directed me here :)

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll take a look at it for the next release.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:46 AM, Marandil said:

I've figured it out!

The issue is that the TE_F9_S1_Tank part has a patch (Extra_B9Tanks.cfg) which adds a B9 fuel-switching module, but then CryoTanks adds another fuel-switching module because the TE_F9_S1_Tank has standalone LiquidFuel and Oxidizer resources (lines 39-50).  The fuel-switching module from CryoTanks has an addedMass variable defined, so the check in SMURFF.cfg line 1020 passes, but when SMURFF tries to grab that variable in line 1022, it looks in Tundra's fuel-switching patch (since it was added first), which does not have addedMass defined, and so the error occurs.

Since none of the other TE fuel tanks have RESOURCE blocks like TE_F9_S1_Tank does, I think that's an error on the part of tygoo7 and/or damonvv.  If they remove those RESOURCE blocks, the issue is resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used it myself, but SMURFF has a check at the end to make sure nothing gets a negative mass, so at a minimum nothing should 'break', and OhioBob says he used the Kickback SRB as a performance baseline, which is also the one that I used when setting SMURFF's balance factors, so I expect things should work out well.

• 2 weeks later...