[1.7-1.9] SMURFF: Simple Module adjUstments for Real-ish Fuel-mass Fractions 1.9.1 (02019 Nov 12)

Kerbas_ad_astra

The SMURFFExclude variable is only necessary for the engines, since SMURFF will recognize that it's trying to subtract more mass than the tanks and SRBs have in them, and put them back to their original masses, but it doesn't do any harm to add that flag to any parts you don't want to be modified.

In other news, I'm about ready to release 1.2.1.  I found a source on the predicted mass of zero-boiloff liquid hydrogen tanks (spoiler alert: they're heavier than the hydrogen they contain), so I've got the stats plugged in to patch LH2 tanks (in addition to the changes made in response to the latest CryoEngines/CryoTanks update).  @Joco223, I've chased out a couple of errors in my testing, but I'd appreciate a log (KSP_Data/output_log.txt) from you so I can verify that I've fixed whatever's causing issues for you.  Otherwise, it's just a matter of updating the README and we'll be in business.

18 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

SMURFF will recognize that it's trying to subtract more mass than the tanks and SRBs have in them, and put them back to their original masses

Oh my. I totally underestimated the power of ModuleManager, I read skimmed the convo between you and Necro and thought it would effect the tanks, but like, not as much or something. Not sure what I was thinking.

Edit: I made an SLS! It can take about 195t to LEO and weighs 3200t, if we compare that to the 150t capacity and 3000t mass of the Saturn V, it's spot on considering the SLS spends a lot less time on the F1's. You really nailed it with SMURFF

9xMIkqd.png

Random question: I can't get imgur images to embed, I've tried using the "i" button as others have described and it's still not working. Do I have to publish the image to embed it? FINALLY

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

14 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Random question: I can't get imgur images to embed, I've tried using the "i" button as others have described and it's still not working. Do I have to publish the image to embed it?

The "i" button is for posting entire albums. To post a single picture, look just above the "Submit Reply" button and hit "Insert other media" and then "Insert image from URL" and paste the image link there.

15 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Oh my. I totally underestimated the power of ModuleManager,

The power of Module Manager compels you!  Praise Jeb-us!

As for nailing the stats -- your rocket's payload capacity falls out of the same place as any: how much do the engines and tanks weigh compared to the fuel they carry?  There's room for variation (the Shuttle's external tank is waaaay light), but I just picked stats that are close to the state-of-the-art (though I hear the next Merlin engines will have TWRs approaching 200).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Joco223 said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra I get 2 errors when i install Ven Stock Revamp with your mod no matter what i do

I'm going to need the log (look for details on where it is and how to get it to me about halfway down NathanKell's post) to know what the issue is.  That will tell me what patches are stepping on each other (I don't use VSR, but I understand that it tinkers with some parts in addition to redecorating).

I'm not seeing any errors in that log -- it looks like Module Manager loaded the cache that was generated the previous time you ran the game.  You might have to delete the "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" file in your GameData folder to force MM to redo its calculations and make the error happen again.

10 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I'm not seeing any errors in that log -- it looks like Module Manager loaded the cache that was generated the previous time you ran the game.  You might have to delete the "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" file in your GameData folder to force MM to redo its calculations and make the error happen again.

Yeah, MM is really bad at deciding when it needs to just dump the cache. Now I use a batch file to start my dev/testing copy of KSP, which just deletes the file for me every time. It's amazing how often I thought I had borked something up with my own mods, only to discover it was a caching issue with MM.

The point of deleting the cache wasn't to fix the errors, it was to expose them so that I could see them. :) I know where the issue is now, and I'll have a fix out in a couple of days, once testing is done.  (Basically, I didn't account for engines that have ablator in them -- yay, more intersecting patch logic.)

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.3 is out!

• Parts with WBIResourceSwitcher (e.g. the Titan fuel tanks from MOLE) are now included in the switchable-tanks patches.
  • Switchable (FS and Interstellar Fuel Switch) tanks with different tankMasses now get proper mass buffs, thanks to the new array-editing features in Module Manager.
    • This feature is only present in MM version 2.6.16 or later, so this version and later versions are not compatible with KSP 1.0.4.
Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

• 1 month later...

I don't see a need for one -- I've just changed the .version file in the repo, so KSP-AVC shouldn't complain.  There were some RCS and xenon balance changes in one of the prerelease versions, but those got reverted in the release (postponed to 1.2, as I hear).

8 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I don't see a need for one -- I've just changed the .version file in the repo, so KSP-AVC shouldn't complain.  There were some RCS and xenon balance changes in one of the prerelease versions, but those got reverted in the release (postponed to 1.2, as I hear).

So you're saying it should work perfectly fine in 1.1 as is?

8 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

So you're saying it should work perfectly fine in 1.1 as is?

I would think so. The part CFGs didn't change much in 1.1, except to add search tags. So my expectation is that it should work pretty much the same as long as ModuleManager is up to date.