[1.7-1.9] SMURFF: Simple Module adjUstments for Real-ish Fuel-mass Fractions 1.9.1 (02019 Nov 12)

Kerbas_ad_astra

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:10 PM, WarriorSabe said:

Why are jet engines omitted from the balancing? I was doing some comparisons, and they seem like they could use a 50% or so mass increase.

Hi Interesting that the KSP jets are too light, since the rockets are all too heavy. 
I guess it could be tricky to make a blanket patch to cover the diverse range of jet types, but it certainly could be done.

There seems to be an issue with this + Real Scale Boosters + B9switch + Cryotanks: The DeltaIV 5 meter second stage - which by default has a dry weight of ~ 3000kg - now has a weight of 900kg. This is the same for all RSB tanks, which makes RSB exceedingly powerful. I've tried to add a patch that goes like:

@PART[RSB*]:NEEDS[RealScaleBoosters,SMURFF]:FOR[RealScaleBoosters]:FIRST
{

SMURFFExclude = true
        @description ^= :(.)$:$0\nDESMURFED
}

And it does not fix the weight issue. (The description tag is applied however).

Nor does adding:

@PART[RSB*]:NEEDS[RealScaleBoosters,SMURFF]:AFTER[zzz_SMURFF]:FOR[RealScaleBoosters]
{
        @mass = #$initialmass$
        @description  ^= :(.)$:$0\nDESMURFED4.2
}

etc fix it; It logs 'Cannot find key origmass in PART'.

This does not work either (it can't find 'origmass').

@PART[RSB*]:NEEDS[RealScaleBoosters,SMURFF]:FOR[RealScaleBoosters]:FIRST
{
        %origmass = #$mass$
        @description  ^= :(.)$:$0\nDESMURFED4.1
}
@PART[RSB*]:NEEDS[RealScaleBoosters,SMURFF]:AFTER[zzz_SMURFF]:FOR[RealScaleBoosters]
{
        @mass = #$origmass$
        @description  ^= :(.)$:$0\nDESMURFED4.2
}

Removing SMURFF or removing Cryotanks does fix the issue, but I would rather not.

Also, commenting out this in SMURFF.cfg fixes the issue, for LFO at least;

@B9_TANK_TYPE[LiquidFuel,LFO,Oxidizer,LF,OX,LFOX,MkIVLF,MkIVLFO,LM,LMOx]:FOR[zzz_SMURFF]
{
//      @tankMass /= #$@SMURFFCONFIG/lfofactor$
}

I'm hoping there's a way to patch the b9 tankmass to the original value for - and ONLY - all RSB tanks,  but my module manager foo is lacking.

Edited by The Fnord

I've tried adjusting individual b9 partswitch tanks, this does not appear to work;

@PART[RSB*]:NEEDS[RealScaleBoosters,SMURFF]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]:FOR[RealScaleBoosters]
{
        @MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]
        {
                @SUBTYPE[LFO]:NEEDS[CryoTanks]
                {
                        %addedMass *= #$@SMURFFCONFIG/lfoblnfactor$

}

}

}

BTW, this issue seems to affect things beyond Real Scale Boosters; Anything touched by B9+SMURF has crazy mass fractions. (Cryotanks isn't a direct culprit, it seems to make B9 apply to certain mods)

SpaceY F26 5 meter tank (LFO) full/dry: 129.590/3.590 with smurf+B9 vs 141.590/15.590 no smurf or no B9 (With a

Procedural fuel tank 5m x 7.375m (LFO) full/dry: 129.951/3.795 vs 141.966/15.810

RSB Delta4-DCSS 5m (LFO) full/dry: 27.961/0.661 vs 30.513/3.213 (IRL it's 30.710/3.490)

This has effectively added 60% delta-v.

Edited by The Fnord

• 1 month later...

Is there any reason why I would want to add SMURFF to realism overhaul itself? Is it much different then the tank mass properties of RO and if true is realism overhaul more realistic in that regard anyway? 

Should it disbalance the RO engine combinations wildly compared to real values?  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2015 at 5:30 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

You can reduce the buffs applied to parts (without tinkering with the mathematics) by reducing the values of "tanklever", "enginelever", and "podlever" at the top of SMURFF.cfg (or with a patch)

can I add these values more than 1 (for funny use):confused:

On 9/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, Nantares said:

can I add these values more than 1 (for funny use):confused:

tanklever and enginelever should behave at any value (up to the limits of computer precision), but if you set podlever to be 2 or greater, SMURFF will try to give pods negative masses.  There's some math that runs at the end to clean up errors like that, so if you do that, it will put the originals back (i.e. as if podlever = 0).

• 1 month later...

This mod is awesome!

I was playing an RP-1 career but I just got too fed up with the extremely high level of the realism simulation.
Engines that needed ullaging, constantly finding out that I was carrying the wrong fuel for the RCS thrusters, insufficient avionics, running out of electrical power, really slow science gathering and radiation always killing my crew.
A lot of my favourite mods and parts are also not compatible with RP-1 and I was missing them a whole lot.
Don't get me wrong, RP-1 is a masterpiece but the emphasis on realism just sucked all the enjoyment out of casual KSP play for me.

The trouble was that upon returning to the default scale, the Kerbin system has just run out of challenge. Smurff is letting me do career in the Real Solar System (RSS) with the challenge that the real sized system represents and as a bonus all my favourite mods are working close to perfectly. I have installed the full Near Future collection, Cryo Engines, Community Tech Tree, Kerbal Construction Time and the Squad expansions. I found an old (last  update 2016) Historical Progression contract pack which still seems to work mostly okay in KSP 1.10.1 and it fits in with my Smurff career really well.

Thanks so much for making Smurff !!!

• 5 months later...

It still does what it’s supposed to do.

Didn’t have time to take apart the config files  yet, so can’t tell whether they still cover everything or some exceptions have to be added for newer parts, but my crafts from 1.7.3 still launch in my 10x bigger stock system.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2021 at 5:40 AM, Kinniken said:

Has anybody used this in 1.11? Compatible or not? Thanks!

It's compatible.

Anyone managed to put a space shuttle into orbit (RSS)? I've been trying to put one into orbit using the default mk3 parts and using LH2 cryo engines from nerthea, but I can't get the necessary delta-v to get into orbit. Doesn't smurff patch the MK3 parts? maybe they are too heavy?

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ROCKETGOOSE said:

*EDIT* Got it working! 

That's great news!
I am playing a stock run through in KSP 1.12.1. My own version of a 10 years commemoration.   
I want to come back to RSS/Smurf very soon when I am done with stock.

• 2 weeks later...

As noted in the SMURFF.cfg comments, a lever of 1 is at "real" scale performance , and 0 is stock performance.

What should a person with an in-between scaled system set the levers, e.g. should a 6.4x player set the levers to 0.64?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 12:57 AM, bigyihsuan said:

As noted in the SMURFF.cfg comments, a lever of 1 is at "real" scale performance , and 0 is stock performance.

What should a person with an in-between scaled system set the levers, e.g. should a 6.4x player set the levers to 0.64?

Stock is balanced for 2.5x roughly.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:38 AM, ROCKETGOOSE said:

Hey, has anyone had any luck using this in 1.12?

I tried, but it didn't seem to be working. Might be something I've done wrong though :confused:

*EDIT* Got it working! 

How did you get it working? For me it's doing nothing.

EDIT: Nvm, it seems that it's doing something, I think it was another mod

Edited by m4ti140

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/1/2017 at 6:41 AM, Karamon said:

Works perfectly fine, it disabled any configs that BDB had and allowed SMURFF to kick in and rebalance weight of everything. Thank you .

Did you just modify the BlueSmurff.cfg file in BDB's compatibility folder? I tried doing this but the BDB Saturn V still doesn't meet the dV requirements to go to the moon (I play with RSS).