Can someone explain to me how to calculate Semi Major Axis?

There is literally not one single page on the internet that explains how to calculate SMA.

I am in an orbit with an AP of 403 and a PE of 303. How do I calculate the SMa of that. Please explain in detail. This is the most annoying moment of my life.

Wait a minute. I may have figured it out on my own. Someone please tell me if this is correct.

I took my two Apsis and added them. 703 (to round). Divided by two. 351.5. Now I add 351 to the radius of Kerbin. 351.5 + 600 = 951.5KM is my SMa. MechJeb says that\'s correct, but I\'m not sure if it\'s just a crazy coincidence.

It should be half the width of the eclipse, so it would be (1200km + 403km + 303km) / 2. ~950km is correct.

Thank you Candre. I was very frustrated. When I came up with my little plan to calculate it, I sent an email to check my calculations with my Uncle who teaches Orbital Mechanics at MIT. Looks like you beat him to it. I\'ll be doing one more Hohmann transfer just to back my calculations and then I don\'t have to go to bed annoyed. haha.

Calculating orbital period.

Pi(2)(sqrt(SMA/3530.461 (Kerbin\'s Gravitational Parameter).

Also, it can be nice for finding other parameters (?V needed for a transfer burn, eccentricity, gravitational parameter for an unknown body, etc)

What\'s the formula for calculating Delta V needed for a transfer burn, actually? I was just wondering that today.

I\'m not sure if there\'s a formal method. I just compare the velocity at where I want to start burning, and the velocity at that point in the transfer orbit. usually with orbital energy or the Vis-visa equation.