PETITION: Bring Back Moho's Atmosphere - or create a new Moho 0.17-esque planet

Those of you who were here when KSP 0.17 was released know that Moho has had an superheated, volcanic atmosphere that added an additional challenge to the game. RCS-powered engines had to be used during landing (I saw a video with a person sending 3 poor Kerbals to Moho in a RCS lander, one like used on Minmus but bigger), and parachutes could be used near surface. Unfortunately, Moho had been stripped of it's atmosphere in 0.18.

We all feel nostalgy for such a wonderful and respectworthy planet. A planet that is actually HARD to land on is needed. Especially with the new heat system.

I am hereby asking for the KSP team to give Moho back it's superheated atmosphere or create a planet that orbits closer to the Sun than Moho and possesses a superheated atmosphere, just like Moho '17.

Signed,

MedwedianPresident

Wasn't Moho's atmosphere removed because it was glitchy? Because the game had trouble with small planets with atmospheres. Maybe it'll return with the Unity 5 update, if Unity 5 can somehow solve the issue.

Never got to experience it as I started in 0.23. So I think it should be back. This sounds fun and cool. A little known fact/legend, Moho's Atmosphere was caused by it's early formation back in 0.17. SQUAD removed it to symbolize that Moho's geology has calmed down and become dormant. Moho's geology happens in eras. So maybe 1.1 will symbolize a beginning of a new era? If so, does the same thing happen on other planets/moons?

Hey, maybe it would finally give us a good reason to use those giant radiator arrays. (Who could possibly​ need to disperse that much heat!?)

You want to open a giant radiator in a super hot atmosphere? :P

I do too. The result would be explody would KSP be KSP without explosions?

Have you ever landed on Moho? I haven't. It's already hard enough to encounter and land on. I don't think we need any more heat there, and it would be kind of unrealistic. A thick atmosphere this close to the Sun isn't very intuitive, imo.

Moho has had a thin atmosphere that ended maybe at 15.000-20.000 meters. Parachutes worked only deep in the craters/in the moholes.

Still doesn't make much sense.

Edit: there were no moholes on the old Moho IIRC.

Edited by Veeltch

Still doesn't make much sense.

Laythe doesn't make much sense, either! I support the idea of a very thin, superheated atmosphere around Moho like there was in 0.17. It would add a unique element of challenge to an otherwise not particularly unique world (Very similar in size to Eeloo and Vall - both amtosphereless)

Having a second Moho would be horrid as much as it would be awesome. It would essentially have to be a vulcan or vulcanoid, such as Ablate from the old Planet Factory mod. It would be practically impossible to reach for the same reason Moho is really difficult to reach. If you want to have any chance of capture whilst still being in the SOI it would have to be at least as big as Laythe or Tylo, which means that landing would be extremely hard.

But maybe there should be a few desperate reaches of the solar system uninhabitable to Kerbalkind due to their strange orbits. A second gas giant several real-life AU from Kerbol? How about a comet in a nearly polar circular orbit?

Or you know, just make Moho hot again. I'd appreciate that.

It is already kinda hot now due to solar heat which is nice.

I was shocked when I found out Moho didn't have an atmosphere. I finally got there, and my reactions were quite funny:

(It is cool how you can operate an ion engine, probe, SAS, and transmitting science on 6 panels. Wow!)

Awesome! My ion powered Moho probe got here! Dang, my TWR is .8. I'm afraid I can't land. Well, I can dip into the atmosphere for science!

Huh? Where's the atmosphere? I should go deeper!

Still no atmosphere. Well, let's make it into an impactor!

Looks like I'm slowing down. How is this possible? Maybe I'm in the atmosphere now! *Check barometer* Nope?

Apparently you can land there on a <1 TWR. Don't know how. Either way, I'm sure it would be a lot funnier with an atmosphere, but not like Eve's...

Laythe doesn't make much sense, either! I support the idea of a very thin, superheated atmosphere around Moho like there was in 0.17. It would add a unique element of challenge to an otherwise not particularly unique world (Very similar in size to Eeloo and Vall - both amtosphereless)

Moho having an atmosphere isn't realistic because the sun would blast it away. Which is probably why any atmosphere it had was removed in the first place.

Laythe on the other hand.... what's wrong with that? Some of Jupiter's moons have atmospheres.

Moho having an atmosphere isn't realistic because the sun would blast it away. Which is probably why any atmosphere it had was removed in the first place.

Laythe on the other hand.... what's wrong with that? Some of Jupiter's moons have atmospheres.

You're probably thinking of Titan, one of Saturn's moons but your point still stands about moons having thick atmospheres. However, an atmosphere that thick with enough oxygen to fuel jet engines is a little odd since there are no organic lifeforms to photosynthesise and produce oxygen.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - other aspects of KSP have deviated from real-life counterparts like Eve having an atmosphere 5x thicker than Kerbin rather than 92-93x (like Venus is to Earth) so that return missions are, although challenging, still doable for many players. That's why I'm saying that a thin atmosphere around Moho would be interesting even if it is a little unrealistic (one could argue that the atmosphere is in the process of being stripped away, anyway). Also, if I remember correctly, Moho's old atmosphere was too thin to assist parachutes for landing, so it's not exactly like Duna's :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.