What do YOU do when a new KSP is available?

problemecium

What do YOU do when a new KSP is available?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU do when a new KSP is available?

• Use Steam to update my existing copy
    • Install it over my existing copy
    • Delete my existing copy, then install the new one in its place
    • Install it as an additional copy and either leave the old one or archive it somewhere
    • I am a troll

When a new KSP becomes available, how do you handle updating?

I've observed a lot of people here suffering from a nostalgic craving for old versions they no longer have thanks to updating in the meantime, so it got me wondering if I'm the only one around who keeps all my old copies.

Edited by parameciumkid

I do it my way ( aka not in your list ;) )

First copy the old install with all the mods away (probably never touching it again, but just to be save) and then delete gamedata and ckan folder. After that i let steam download the now missing gamedata files and the update. I play vanilla until the first mods pop up in ckan and gradually install all my mods as they get available.

Greetings

Ben

I install a new copy in a new folder (usually named ksp_### for the version number. The current directory is ksp_104 for example). I then start playing, and download new versions of all my favorite mods as they come out.

I keep the old folder for a month or so, and then delete it.

Delete everything (except my saves obviously) and unzip the brand new KSP :D

Although, having recently started to play RSS, I may just keep an older version to wait for bug fixes and mod updates.

Edited by Gaarst
"keep" not "keed"

I tend to ignore it until all my mods catch up . . . . . which can take quite a while

I think I was still on 0.24.2 when 1.0 was released due to one of my more critical mods failure to update.

This... but not so long.. I have some mission critical mods, but all the eye- and ear-candy can be installed when it is finished.

Well first of all I delete the old version(Keep my flags and texture replacer stuff) Then I download the new version and keep the other stuff in a different folder and update CKAN if it hasn't already. Then I do a new sacrifice for the kraken when I boot up the new game.

Download the new zip and add it to my archive of original zips. Make a stock install of it and check out the new features. Go back to previous version until my most-desired mods update (this is usually very quick). Then set up my standard three installs (Stock, Stock+Tools, Stock+Tools+Vfx). Later add an RO install (this suite is so comprehensive that it takes more time to update).

New saves every time. I don't really get involved in multi-year, complex space programs with a lot of infrastructure anymore, maybe in another version or two.

My standard procedure is pretty similar to RIC's.

I'll download the zip within a day or two, set up a stock isntall, and determine if the feature additions are worth suffering through the lack of my must-have mods until they update. (since I can count on Engineer being updated usually within 24 hours) I will sometimes play on that if new stuff > must-have mods for a few days. Otherwise I go back to my old installs. I need to get in the habit of moving saves over. I haven't colonized Jool again since 0.24.2 and with me now getting into OPM, I need to start doing save migration.

I used to set it up in a new folder. Play through Career mode, to see what's new there. The last minor updates I just over wrote the last version, as I wasn't very far along. In the future I'll probably tested out the new version for a while and then update my old one. I'm starting to build thing that are a bit more permanent.

I change my name, sell my house, move to another country (non-extradition-treaty preferably), buy a new PC, install the new KSP and lie low for a while, keeping an eye over my shoulder.

But the closest option to that in the poll was "Delete my existing copy, then install the new one in its place".

I always keep my most interesting craft files copied out to a separate folder, so basically (except for my very first save file from .20) I just delete everything and start over.

Still trying to convert that .20 save to 1.0.4 - need to save 36 Kerbals somehow!

I tend to finish whatever I'm doing in the currently installed version, and when I'm ready to start a new save, I'll download the latest version and install it alongside the old one for a few hours of gameplay. Once I can tell that the latest version isn't horribly broken ([insert rant about 1.0.4 here]), I delete the old installation including my old saves.

1.0.4 was an exception. I assumed it is a bugfix release for 1.0.2, so I just moved over my save directory and deleted the 1.0.2 installation. Good that I never used quicksave in 1.0.4, so I could easily revert to the at least playable 1.0.2 after I realized that half of my craft just exploded when switching to them due to the self-heating bug of 1.0.4...

I'm not sure which poll result was the best fit. I never play out of the default steam install. it is a completely clean, unplayed copy of KSP. Whenever there is an update I update my default install, they copy it out to my play directories.

Download the new zip and add it to my archive of original zips. Make a stock install of it and check out the new features. Go back to previous version until my most-desired mods update (this is usually very quick). Then set up my standard three installs (Stock, Stock+Tools, Stock+Tools+Vfx). Later add an RO install (this suite is so comprehensive that it takes more time to update).

New saves every time. I don't really get involved in multi-year, complex space programs with a lot of infrastructure anymore, maybe in another version or two.

Same here, but two installs instead of three (stock and moded). New saves every time too.

Up until now I've always be awaiting the Nextâ„¢ update to start my Realâ„¢ save. The one save I'll make to play the game from start to finish. Up until now most Nextâ„¢ updates either have something I really want or fix something I really need.

So my New Version Ritualâ„¢ involves checking for mod availability, mod compatibility, general game stability with all mods installed, waiting for the mods that need to be updated, customize everything to be just perfect for me to start my official Realâ„¢ save. Sometimes while I do this I start to daydream about the missions I'll do... How I'll organize everything, etc...

When my New Version Ritualâ„¢ is close to finished Squadâ„¢ usually reveals the New Awesome KSP Versionâ„¢ details and by that time I decide it's only wise to wait for the next version before I start my Realâ„¢ save.

Then rinse and repeat.

Somehow I expect this Realâ„¢ save is really my Realâ„¢ Realâ„¢ save this time... Now I have 64bit support and can use the whole 8Gb of RAM. Now there seems to be some badass optimizations for the game engine. Maybe even the barn? One can only dream I guess...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.