Devnote Tuesday: New Office

SQUAD

Doesn't change what the actual point is, that the player is getting more tools to make the game easier as they progress, rather than having the game get harder. I'm not sure I agree with that analysis, though I have thought it felt that way at times myself.
I think it does get harder, even with maneuver nodes. Once you are looking beyond Kerbin's moons, launch windows (that the stock game doesn't say much about) add a new complication to the planning.

Work on new UI:

- one of the worst design decisions in the old UI was, that all the important info when flying a craft is scattered all over the screen. You will hardly find any dashboard of an aircraft, where all the important instruments are scattered around all 4 edges of the dashboard, instead they are all in 1 place (speed, altitude, variometer, compass). The worst part is, that the altitude is shown on the upper edge of the window while all other relevant info (navball, speed) is shown at the bottom edge. VERY BAD FOR LANDING! Eyes constantly need to look up/down. Would you please add altitude and perhaps an MFD that displays basic trajectory and target info if available (AP,PE,Distance to next Node/Time, Distance to target,...) to the instrument unit with navball and speed at the bottom of the screen.

- the second worst part are all these click-thru bugs in VAB/SPH when clicking into entry fields of dialogs (such as the description text of rockets in VAB) which lead to constantly chipping off parts of your rocket. Hope you avoid this mega-unprofessionality this time.

- one of the worst design decisions in the old UI was, that all the important info when flying a craft is scattered all over the screen.

- the second worst part are all these click-thru bugs in VAB/SPH when clicking into entry fields of dialogs

- the third worst is having stuff in right-click menus attached to parts that move on the screen, with buttons whose names may as well be, "destroy your whole mission" and "make your mission a success" right next to each other vertically.

- the fourth worst is having text just come up on the screen when transferring scientific data, quick saving, or changing time warp. All in different fonts and colors.

- the fifth worst is having all this stuff in the same program at the same time, causing the whole thing to look like a jumbled mess.

- the sixth worst is that Job #1 in the Unity 5 work is to wrangle a potentially-UI-saving system into looking as close to this rigamarole of a UI as possible.

I may have missed between 1 and infinity other problems with the UI.

- the third worst is having stuff in right-click menus attached to parts that move on the screen, with buttons whose names may as well be, "destroy your whole mission" and "make your mission a success" right next to each other vertically.

Similarly having buttons when you right click your orbit whose names may as well be "plan your mission carefully" and "throw caution to the wind, do it now!" right next to each other vertically.

I agree that this is annoying, but one workaround is to zoom out enough.

When the whole craft is just a tiny dot the buttons stay stable even if your craft is spinning.

- the sixth worst is that Job #1 in the Unity 5 work is to wrangle a potentially-UI-saving system into looking as close to this rigamarole of a UI as possible.
Uh, no, that's the worst thing, the biggest tragedy of the update.

It's cute maybe the first 1,000 times, but after that it's just annoying to see all your kerbals either screaming their heads off or having the biggest smile on their face all the time, and no in-between. I hope it gets revamped one day a mod replaces the stupid kerbal behavior with one that modifies their expression based on more factors (ex: running out of fuel, hurtling towards the ground, etc.) and making them bolder as they get more experienced.

Would definitely love to see engineers interact with some panels with buttons and gauges and scientist do SCIENCE experiment-animations while in the lab in the spirit of the science vessel guy from Starcraft.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.