[1.12.x] Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes (for modded tech trees) v1.3.2

ev0

1 hour ago, Nakir934 said:

this was causing my contracts to reset each time I left the game or reloaded a save.

Woah, big bug. Thanks for the info. I don't have the Steam version so I can't try the pre-release, but I'll take a look once 1.1 comes out. I hope 1.1 comes out soon, it's been so long:confused:

yea it has! luckily I'm a patient guy :P

it's great to see you're gonna be ontop of things when 1.1 officially pops though!

it took me a while to figure out that this mod was the cause of the contracts resetting because, although I haven't done any real coding for about 16 years now, I don't really see the connection between what I assumed was more of a visual mod to the tech tree and the contract system.

I tested again with the newest version of CTT, hoping it was some interaction between the old version and your mod but it had the same result, resetting contracts.. which can be nice if you wanna farm the cash advance :D

17 hours ago, ev0 said:

Feel free to try and test it out! If it's not on CKAN right now, just try a manual install.

I downloaded it from DropBox link, installed it.  When I loaded my save, there was an orange text error that said something to the effect of, "Failed contract draft.."  The Empty nodes were in fact gone, all of my completed contracts are gone, but I have current contracts that appear to be the same that I had before.

26 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I downloaded it from DropBox link, installed it.  When I loaded my save, there was an orange text error that said something to the effect of, "Failed contract draft.."  The Empty nodes were in fact gone, all of my completed contracts are gone, but I have current contracts that appear to be the same that I had before.

Thanks for the info, Nakir934 had the same problem. Check back here for a fix after 1.1!:wink:

v0.4 Available for KSP v 1.1!

Download available from Dropbox link only. Please delete your old folder. Spacedock is being slow right now, but when you see the KerbalStuff link change to a SpaceDock link, you will be able to get it from there and it will hopefully be on its way to CKAN. CKAN will also get a name change from HideEmptyTechNodes to HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.

Apparently the problem was I had to delete the source folder from the Dropbox link. It had old .dll files of the plugin inside, that I did not know were being loaded and they were not compatible with KSP v1.1. Besides that, I only had to add the new KSP.UI.Screens namespace, but I had already done that days ago:P

Thanks to everyone for reporting the bugs!!

Edited by ev0

Great mod, @ev0! Two quick questions:

1. If an empty node has non-empty children, are they connected with its parents (with the same requirements, naturally), is it left in place or do they "hang in the air"?

2. Will it unhide a node when a new mod is installed that uses it?

34 minutes ago, garwel said:

Great mod, @ev0! Two quick questions:

1. If an empty node has non-empty children, are they connected with its parents (with the same requirements, naturally), is it left in place or do they "hang in the air"?

2. Will it unhide a node when a new mod is installed that uses it?

1. They connect with the empty node's parents! So no hanging in the air. Hiding the empty nodes is just done with Module Manager, but the plugin's job is to make sure that non-empty nodes are only connected to other non-empty nodes as far back as they need to go. Each node is limited to three parents max though, but that's an edge case.
  2. Yep. But be aware that the parents would rearrange too, so for example you could get a situation where you have a newly unhidden and unresearched node with children that have already been researched.
Edited by ev0

On 4/23/2016 at 11:46 AM, ev0 said:

v0.4 Available for KSP v 1.1!

Download available from Dropbox link only. Please delete your old folder. Spacedock is being slow right now, but when you see the KerbalStuff link change to a SpaceDock link, you will be able to get it from there and it will hopefully be on its way to CKAN. CKAN will also get a name change from HideEmptyTechNodes to HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.

Apparently the problem was I had to delete the source folder from the Dropbox link. It had old .dll files of the plugin inside, that I did not know were being loaded and they were not compatible with KSP v1.1. Besides that, I only had to add the new KSP.UI.Screens namespace, but I had already done that days ago:P

Thanks to everyone for reporting the bugs!!

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, it looks like the new version still hasn't made its way to CKAN, which is odd because it's been up on SpaceDock for a couple days now...

6 hours ago, Fraz86 said:

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, it looks like the new version still hasn't made its way to CKAN, which is odd because it's been up on SpaceDock for a couple days now...

It's on it's way! There's a pull request for it on CKAN now, just need to get a couple things sorted. Should be up within a couple days I think.

On 4/24/2016 at 3:35 PM, ev0 said:

Saw your post earlier. Could you tell me the name of the other mod, just in case?

Seems like the issue was related to the toolbar plugin, it was somehow stealing focus from the rest of the UI.

@ev0 1.1.2 seems to have blown everyone up.  Just started getting this when entering R&D after the update to 1.1.2 yesterday.

Spoiler

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ConfigNode].Add (System.String key, .ConfigNode value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.changeTheParents () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.onTechTreeSpawn (KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree rdTechTree) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree].Fire (KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree.SpawnTechTreeNodes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CallbackUtil+<DelayedCallback>d__1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Great job on this mod.  It certainly makes using CTT a lot cleaner.  Let me know if you need more info or any other assistance I can offer.

2 hours ago, rasta013 said:

@ev0 1.1.2 seems to have blown everyone up.  Just started getting this when entering R&D after the update to 1.1.2 yesterday.

Reveal hidden contents

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ConfigNode].Add (System.String key, .ConfigNode value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.changeTheParents () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.HideEmptyTechTreeNodes.onTechTreeSpawn (KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree rdTechTree) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree].Fire (KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KSP.UI.Screens.RDTechTree.SpawnTechTreeNodes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CallbackUtil+<DelayedCallback>d__1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Great job on this mod.  It certainly makes using CTT a lot cleaner.  Let me know if you need more info or any other assistance I can offer.

Can you confirm that you have only this mod, the Community Tech Tree v2.4, and Module Manager v2.6.24 installed?

Unfortunately I'm away from my computer until Friday, so I can't take a the new version of KSP yet.

1 hour ago, ev0 said:

Can you confirm that you have only this mod, the Community Tech Tree v2.4, and Module Manager v2.6.24 installed?

Unfortunately I'm away from my computer until Friday, so I can't take a the new version of KSP yet.

LOL Oh I definitely do not - I'm currently riding 160+.  CTT and MM are both on the correct version though so I'll see if I can do a stripped down test for you here in just a bit to try and confirm it's this mod and not something else interfering. 

7 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

LOL Oh I definitely do not - I'm currently riding 160+.  CTT and MM are both on the correct version though so I'll see if I can do a stripped down test for you here in just a bit to try and confirm it's this mod and not something else interfering. 

That would definitely help!:D If the stripped down test has no errors, then with your 160+ install just start by removing half of your mods. If the problem still exists, remove half of the remaining mods. Rinse and repeat until you narrow down any mod incompatibility!

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, garwel said:

I love this mod, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the latest ETT version (I think because it uses Yonge Tech Trees Plugin). The empty nodes just don't disappear.

Uh ohs, you're right. The ETT used to use Module Manager files, but it looks like since he's using the Younge Tech Trees Plugin things aren't working anymore. Since I use only MM to hide the nodes (my plugin actually just rearranges the tech lines), I guess it won't work with the ETT anymore.

My mod doesn't fully support the ETT yet, but I'll try to harcode hiding empty nodes into my dll plugin to try fix your problem for now:wink:

Once I figure out how to literally bend the tech lines where I want to, then I'm aiming for full ETT support!

Edit:

@garwel I made a dirty update for the ETT. Download it through dropbox here and install manually. I tested it with a stock install of the game and it looks like it works again. Let me know. Be sure to manually delete your old HideEmptyTechTreeNodes folder too before trying this version! This version won't be put up on CKAN just yet, as I first want to find out why MM doesn't work with the Yonge Tech Tree plugin. But any future update on CKAN will include similar fixes for the ETT.

Edited by ev0
Dirty update for ETT

6 hours ago, ev0 said:

Uh ohs, you're right. The ETT used to use Module Manager files, but it looks like since he's using the Younge Tech Trees Plugin things aren't working anymore. Since I use only MM to hide the nodes (my plugin actually just rearranges the tech lines), I guess it won't work with the ETT anymore.

My mod doesn't fully support the ETT yet, but I'll try to harcode hiding empty nodes into my dll plugin to try fix your problem for now:wink:

Once I figure out how to literally bend the tech lines where I want to, then I'm aiming for full ETT support!

Edit:

@garwel I made a dirty update for the ETT. Download it through dropbox here and install manually. I tested it with a stock install of the game and it looks like it works again. Let me know. Be sure to manually delete your old HideEmptyTechTreeNodes folder too before trying this version! This version won't be put up on CKAN just yet, as I first want to find out why MM doesn't work with the Yonge Tech Tree plugin. But any future update on CKAN will include similar fixes for the ETT.

Hey, @ev0, I tried your "dirty update", as you called it, but it appears it is not working for ETT :/

6 hours ago, aluc24 said:

Hey, @ev0, I tried your "dirty update", as you called it, but it appears it is not working for ETT :/

Can you see if it's working with a stock install? So just the update, ETT, Yonge Tech Tree plugin, and Module Manager. If that works, then could you give me a list of the mods you had installed before?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.