[WIP] Ground Base Landing Rack

Felbourn

Back in the day I was pretty good with Photoshop. I took a friend's artwork and then "massaged" it into these:

Z0gr26F.png

Maybe I ought to try out Blender even though I'm not an artist. I'm a pretty good amateur carpenter. Maybe some of that skill will carry into modeling in some way. Who knows. It would be nice to know how to make my own parts sometimes.

Maybe I ought to try out Blender even though I'm not an artist. I'm a pretty good amateur carpenter. Maybe some of that skill will carry into modeling in some way. Who knows. It would be nice to know how to make my own parts sometimes.

You definitely should try it, I'm sure you'd pick up on it rather quickly. Any 3D modelling program is not too hard to learn, whether it be Blender, Maya, 3Ds max or any other. When you get the hang of which tool does what, it becomes quite easy.

Back in the day I was pretty good with Photoshop. I took a friend's artwork and then "massaged" it into these:

http://i.imgur.com/Z0gr26F.png

I just started about a week ago but have been slowed down with my move-in into college this weekend, but blender was very easy to learn to the point where I ditched tutorials and started going off on my own! As far as texturing I am about just the same as you in skill level I would Imagine so it should be easy as I have been getting it somewhat down! The hard part is making nice looking texture that fit well with eachother :)

An update... we're continuing to work on this in some spare time here and there. The most recent models from liquid are pretty awesome. I've worked on CFGs that support lots of mods, but are designed for Stock. They do work for RemoteTech, TweakScale, KIS/KAS, etc though.

Yea it's kind of hard working on the models during the week as my work days are fairly long. Luckily the weekend is near, so I'll finish up the rest of the models and textures then. I'm posting some update screenshots on Imgur every now and again, so feel free to keep track of what's happening there.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by liquidhype

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Bummer I really would like to get that 3d model that  MeCripp has into KSP but i have no idea how to do it been lost without Bobcats Home stuff been waiting for Alexustas Konquest but alas he has gone MIA  and this would be the next best thing 

Edited by Virtualgenius

I have no idea on Unity at all but here is the page to download it  http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/nmss-hdu 

i think it should be broken into 3 parts 

The ramp and airlock which i think would have folding hand rails and ramp then the centre section then the third long section with active dock ports on each part

Edited by Virtualgenius

On 15.07.2016 at 11:40 AM, Virtualgenius said:

How did you get this into KSP

Beale's amazing tutorial describes step-by-step a part creation and integration. (About the Unity - from the words "Unity time!").

Following this reference I've integrated several free 3d models as VAB parts and as KerbalKonstructs static objects.

You need Unity 5 and PartTools for KSP 1.1 installed.
(I used Unity 4 and PartTools for 0.23 with KSP 1.1.x — still with no problems.)

27 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

Hmm it's for Wings and I have Blender. Not sure I want to switch... maybe I can "translate" the instructions into Blender terms.

I think you'd be fine using more general Blender guides for Blender stuff, because you can then follow Beale's guide anyway when it comes to importing to Unity, if I understand it right

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.