[WIP] Ground Base Landing Rack

Felbourn

I have the basics of creating the primitives and positioning them to make a model, then unwrapping the UVs to a texture. I need to get a lot better at both though, especially the mapping. I have not begun learning the Unity export part yet.

So you are getting into 3D modeling? Welp, RIP any free time you might have between work, family and making YouTube videos :P Once you get the hang of modeling, UV-mapping, texturing and all that, it quickly becomes an obsession. It is such a great feeling being able to make any part you can dream up and whack it into the game in no time. At this point I've probably made every major launch vehicle in the world for KSP.

Best of luck with your new modding career :)

:) Programming has been my obsession for 38 years. I will probably do a model here and there, but if I were really going to mod KSP heavily it would be as a plugin writer. I enjoy making my videos too much to get into mod making like that, so you're safe. Your video viewing options shall not be diminished any time soon. :wink: 

Edited by Felbourn

1 hour ago, Virtualgenius said:

@heliobyte any chance you could put this in game possibly broken up into 3 modules 

@Virtualgenius Sure can. I just had to create a couple of new UV islands and move them into the appropriate places on the texture map after separating out the meshes. Now I only need to make a few simple colliders, run the models through Unity and thats it. I'm sure you, @Felbourn or whoever wants to use these can configure the parts, set up the connection nodes and give the modules some resources as you see fit.

To be honest, I would separate out that cargo module from the rack too. Just for the sake of versitility. It would also make more sence to not launch the cargo module with that ground rack attached to it.

It8qFc0.png

Edited by heliobyte
Forgot to tag Virtualgenius

1 hour ago, heliobyte said:

@Virtualgenius Sure can. I just had to create a couple of new UV islands and move them into the appropriate places on the texture map after separating out the meshes. Now I only need to make a few simple colliders, run the models through Unity and thats it. I'm sure you, @Felbourn or whoever wants to use these can configure the parts, set up the connection nodes and give the modules some resources as you see fit.

To be honest, I would separate out that cargo module from the rack too. Just for the sake of versitility. It would also make more sence to not launch the cargo module with that ground rack attached to it.

It8qFc0.png

How did you do that in dummy terms ? :)

@MeCripp I'll just tag you instead of re-quoting the entire thing.

What I did was, I downloaded the .obj file that someone linked on the thread here, and imported it into Blender. I removed any materials from the meshes (because the UVs tends to get messed up when splitting an already UV-ed mesh). Then I went into "Edit Mode", selected the faces of the mesh that I wanted to separate out and hit "P" and chose "Selection" from the popup menu.

Once the meshes were separated from the main mesh, I had to fill a couple of holes that were left over from the separation and re-UV those. Then I gave the meshes new materials and applied the textures to the materials and voilà.

The rest of the process is the same as with any part for KSP. Make colliders for the models, export as .fbx or whatever format you prefer (or drag and drop the .blend file into Unity), and export from Unity.

@heliobyte WOW is all i can say I can only do basic config but it looks really cool just wanted to land it in 3 or 4 stages and connect it as a Hab for exploration 

@Felbourn maybe Heliobyte can help you finish the original one if you still have the files 

Edited by Virtualgenius

I like it, very nice a second antenna on the other side on the opposite corner would be cool with a fold out antenna like the old communotron 66 what did you use as the Hab module. The landing engines need to be smaller  i added the little orange squad ones which worked nicely

http://imgur.com/a/gWAHn

I wish the damn pic link would load this forum software hates me

Edited by Virtualgenius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.