[1.2.x] [1.4 in Development] Real KSC in KSP Dev Continued

Tristonwilson12

Modern or Historical pads?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Modern/Future or Historical pads first

• Modern/Future
    • Historical

I really want to test this in stock KSP :P

Will it work with rescales such as KScale2?

As far as I know, the stock buildings do not rescale, even in RSS (correct me if I'm wrong). If enough people desperately want these statics' size to scale in relation to the of scale of the Kerbol system, I guess I could make that a reality. There are too many people with too many wishes :) This is still very much a WIP, so our main priority is making the models and placing them where they need to be. Everything else will happen later on.

I bet you've already noticed this in my models, but I figured I'd give you the heads-up just in case. They all have a bit of fake terrain mesh around them to account for being placed on less than flat ground, to avoid parts of the mesh floating above the ground. The texture applied to all of these is the "lowresterrain1.png" and I matched it as best I could with the 0.90 version of pete's RSS:Visual Enhancements ground textures. It would probably look pretty odd contrasted against stock ground textures, so swapping that terrain texture for something closer to the stock grass texture would allow them to match a lot better in non-RSS:VE installs. I also noticed that in that upload, the titan towers are not yet pushed through unity as .mu files, but the Titan1 and 2.obj's in the 'Source' folder should be ready to go. There are mesh colliders on the pad model and the VAB, but I neglected to add colliders on any of the towers. Coordinates should be setup so that all you have to do is place the pads and then copy and paste their coordinates to add the corresponding tower to them.

I'm excited to see this coming together... it's something I've wanted for a long time in RSS. :D

Edit: (I make a lot of these it seems :P )

If you haven't seen this yet, it is a great write-up by Bac9 on how to efficiently model and texture statics in KSP with a minimal ram impact, as well as some tips and tricks to avoid some of the funniness and Z-fighting you find on some of the newer stock space center models.

Edited by Chris P. Bacon

I bet you've already noticed this in my models, but I figured I'd give you the heads-up just in case. They all have a bit of fake terrain mesh around them to account for being placed on less than flat ground, to avoid parts of the mesh floating above the ground. The texture applied to all of these is the "lowresterrain1.png" and I matched it as best I could with the 0.90 version of pete's RSS:Visual Enhancements ground textures. It would probably look pretty odd contrasted against stock ground textures, so swapping that terrain texture for something closer to the stock grass texture would allow them to match a lot better in non-RSS:VE installs. I also noticed that in that upload, the titan towers are not yet pushed through unity as .mu files, but the Titan1 and 2.obj's in the 'Source' folder should be ready to go. There are mesh colliders on the pad model and the VAB, but I neglected to add colliders on any of the towers. Coordinates should be setup so that all you have to do is place the pads and then copy and paste their coordinates to add the corresponding tower to them.

I'm excited to see this coming together... it's something I've wanted for a long time in RSS. :D

Edit: (I make a lot of these it seems :P )

If you haven't seen this yet, it is a great write-up by Bac9 on how to efficiently model and texture statics in KSP with a minimal ram impact, as well as some tips and tricks to avoid some of the funniness and Z-fighting you find on some of the newer stock space center models.

Thanks for the heads up Chris! Duely noted. I actually got the models (and used them in my own RSS install) from you during one of your streams a while back. Made my KSC so much prettier. Thank you for donating these models to this project :)

As far as I know, the stock buildings do not rescale, even in RSS (correct me if I'm wrong). If enough people desperately want these statics' size to scale in relation to the of scale of the Kerbol system, I guess I could make that a reality. There are too many people with too many wishes :) This is still very much a WIP, so our main priority is making the models and placing them where they need to be. Everything else will happen later on.
I meant that like I wanted it to not be underground anything with KScale2.

Also I would love it to be rescaled to stock sizes! Tristonwilson12 refuses to give me a beta of any kind when there is one ready though :(

Edited by _Augustus_

I really want to test this in stock KSP :P

Will it work with rescales such as KScale2?

Before 1.0 and the RSS switch to Kopernicus, this would have worked only in stock KSP. This is simply an object pack for KerbalKonstructs, which does all the heavy lifting when it comes to placing objects. Even if these guys only make a single cfg (whether it be for RSS or stock) there is nothing stopping you from placing these objects and launch sites anywhere you want on Kerbin, Earth, or any planet accompanying them, with KerbalKonstructs and making your own cfgs.

Another edit: If you want a "beta" you can grab my missile row towers and KSC VAB here

You will however have to learn how to use KK's in-game GUI to place the objects yourself (unless you happen to be using 0.90 RSS) because the planet names have changed compared to the ones in the cfg's (and I've been too lazy to update that link), but you should only have to do this once, save the cfgs, and they will be there for you to use every game start afterwards.

Edited by Chris P. Bacon

There is no beta to give you yet :)
No, he doesn't ever want me to have a beta. He says that he has these so-called "forum friends" even though I usually voicechat with him and stuff all the time (currently on vacation though :P)

I still don't get why he cancelled Stella. He won't even tell me.

No, he doesn't ever want me to have a beta. He says that he has these so-called "forum friends" even though I usually voicechat with him and stuff all the time (currently on vacation though :P)

I still don't get why he cancelled Stella. He won't even tell me.

This is not the place to have that discussion.

If there ever is a "beta" version available, anyone who wishes to try it out will have the opportunity to do so. Until such time, patience :)

Looking forward to this. Stock launchpad and all that doesn't really cut it for me anymore.

It does what it needs to do. It is just nice to have a bit more "flair" to the stock KSC. And having launchpads, landingpads, runways and all that good stuff scattered all over the place makes for a more versitile space center.

later down the road I might make working Launch clamps like the one from SLS and CST-100

That could be a separate mod in it by itself. The only other mod that gives us launch clamps is FASA. I'm sure people would love to have even more to choose from.

later down the road I might make working Launch clamps like the one from SLS and CST-100

Are you going to somehow integrate the FASA launch clamps for the old towers? I think I see the FASA clamps in one of the pictures on the first page.

That could be a separate mod in it by itself. The only other mod that gives us launch clamps is FASA. I'm sure people would love to have even more to choose from.

My thoughts exactly lol

Are you going to somehow integrate the FASA launch clamps for the old towers? I think I see the FASA clamps in one of the pictures on the first page.

Any launch clamp would just clip through the statics, so there is no need to integrate them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.