This glitchy mess is supposed to pass for release?

JG_Wentworth

I've been away from KSP for some time due to military obligations, and having LOVED KSP during its Alpha I was so eager to try the "full release"

I am sorely disappointing so far- Here is a summary of some of my experience

Install game...

Load game...

Spend quite a bit setting up my HOTAS Warthog, Pedals, and TrackIR bindings. At this point TOTALLY stoked about using my high end simming gear in KSP finally, especially with TrackIR

Load into game... All my graphics setting have been dumped... ...? I return to the menu and correct. I ensure ALL my settings are saved.

Load into game again, fly for a bit, crash into ground. That was fun! Revert to launch and.... Crash to desktop... ...?

RELOAD game. All graphics and inputs dumped. . . ...

Fix...

Reload into game. All Joystick and throttle inputs unresponsive despite being bound. Again, .... I navigate to the game menu from in the sim and check inputs, but of course I cannot access them. When I click on Settings the graphics resolution flips its $%# and goes to a weird windowed version with a jacked up resolution that doesn't let me even reach the menu to exit.

Reboot PC, restart game, rebind EVERYTHING. Go fly again and crash...

Revert to launch. Everything works! Land and revert to launch again, crash to F$@#%$# desktop.

Reload sim and EVERYTHING IS FORGOTTEN AGAIN.

BASH HEAD ONTO DESK

This is disappointing and EXTREMELY frustrating.

*UPDATE-

Now the game randomly freezing when I click to put input into the "Yaw" command, and not I cannot click ANY binding on any menu. What a hot mess this game is. . .

*UPDATE 2* The game fails to remember ANYTHING I have configured (yes I am hitting apply AND accept) and is dumping all my settings each time I restart it and even reboot PC. IT STILL will not let me bind the "Yaw" axis even after a reboot and fresh start. We are very quickly approaching the point of uninstalling here, I am pissed.

Edited by JG_Wentworth

That is not typical, most people run the stock game with very few issues. Instead of ranting you could request assistance in troubleshooting.

What operating system are you on? Are you certain you have 1.0.4.

Graphics card? RAM? Do you have mods?

Edited by Alshain

It my joysticks (at least for ONE of the glitches). If I plug them in and bind them, the darn game forgets ALL settings (graphics and all) next time I restart. If I unhook all joysticks, it at least remembers the graphics settings. TOTALLY unacceptable for a game built around flying, and that has supposedly including joystick support for ages.

Uninstalling until I KNOW this is fixed. What a joke man. These types of issues have zero place in a full release. . .

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of people here who can help you, that sounds like nothing I've experienced, or heard of, before. Maybe try using it without any joysticks of stuff?

Yea, like I said, that stops the stupid setting reset, but WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PLAY WITHOUT JOYSTICKS?

You are giving up a little quickly. If you uninstall until you know it is fixed, it will never be fixed because as far as I am aware you are the only one having the problem. I browse the support forums a lot.

You are going to have to put some effort into solving it. There is an issue where multiple joysticks of the same kind are not differentiated (so if you have 2 XBOX 360 controllers, they are treated as the same one). Other than that I've not seen major issues, my Thrustmaster HOTAS works just fine. Try plugging in one at a time, it may be one specific controller.

EDIT: Speaking of which, duplicate posts do not help, they hinder. You end up with multiple people tossing the same ideas that have been tried base on the other thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131412-Major-problem-with-Joysticks-and-settings-dump?p=2134934#post2134934

Edited by Alshain

You are giving up a little quickly. If you uninstall until you know it is fixed, it will never be fixed because as far as I am aware you are the only one having the problem. I browse the support forums a lot.

You are going to have to put some effort into solving it. There is an issue where multiple joysticks of the same kind are not differentiated (so if you have 2 XBOX 360 controllers, they are treated as the same one). Other than that I've not seen major issues, my Thrustmaster HOTAS works just fine. Try plugging in one at a time, it may be one specific controller.

Far from it... Even a cursory glance at a google search shows many others who have this issue, and apparently it has been ignored so far. Again, totally unacceptable oversight for a game that should support joysticks on such a basic level.

There wasn't a whole lot of 'polish' put on the game between the very brief 'beta' and the 'release'. It's what we've got to work with *shrugs* I don't think a whole lot of people who've been following the game for a while would consider 1.0.x a standard quality release.

There wasn't a whole lot of 'polish' put on the game between the very brief 'beta' and the 'release'. It's what we've got to work with *shrugs* I don't think a whole lot of people who've been following the game for a while would consider 1.0.x a standard quality release.

Yea I have noticed, and I am pretty pissed. Four years wasn't long enough to get it right? Sheesh... I am really at the point of writing off the early access model entirely, I think the good ol' days of devs paying the price for releasing sub standard trash are becoming sorely missed.

Far from it... Even a cursory glance at a google search shows many others who have this issue, and apparently it has been ignored so far. Again, totally unacceptable oversight for a game that should support joysticks on such a basic level.

Then perhaps those google searches are return results from people who aren't reporting through the correct channels. A cursory search of the support forum here shows only the issue I mentioned. You still haven't even told your OS or any real info about your system or provided any logs. If the devs can't find the issue, then it won't get fixed. The more info you provide, the more likely the problem can be corrected... but if you just plan on uninstalling the game then nobody can help you.

It my joysticks (at least for ONE of the glitches). If I plug them in and bind them, the darn game forgets ALL settings (graphics and all) next time I restart. If I unhook all joysticks, it at least remembers the graphics settings. TOTALLY unacceptable for a game built around flying, and that has supposedly including joystick support for ages.

Uninstalling until I KNOW this is fixed. What a joke man. These types of issues have zero place in a full release. . .

[...]

Yea, like I said, that stops the stupid setting reset, but WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PLAY WITHOUT JOYSTICKS?

Make sure that the joystick is on and plugged in before you start the game, if that doesn't work try deleting the settings config (back it up first in case it doesn't make it again) and restarting the game.

That might do it, people seem to agree, but there are still some people who still can't get it to work.

Everyone knows the game was no where near ready when they launched. They said they had to release for undisclosed reasons, I assume major investors wanted a cash injection.

You should just read the millions of posts about it rather than going on about it again.

You're really late to the 'it's not ready' table.

You just need to post in the problems forum without the whining at this point.

I would suggest just playing as stock as you can with keyboard and mouse. There are some mods you just need like Kerbal Engineer and Kerbal Alarm Clock. The game will still crash but not as frequently.

The devs aren't going to spend any time fixing this build with the Unity 5 build looming.

Edited by uglyduckling81

What are your sim/computer specs?

Very powerful PC, lots of ram, Geforce 980TI GPU. Shouldn't be an issue there.

I have a HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, and TrackIR V5. I have started and rebooted the sim multiple times with and without the controls plugged in, and various controls plugged in and others left out. It fails to remember ANY setting when joystick is plugged in, and remembers them if they are not. ... Squad?

That is not typical, most people run the stock game with very few issues. Instead of ranting you could request assistance in troubleshooting.

What operating system are you on? Are you certain you have 1.0.4.

Graphics card? RAM? Do you have mods?

It is a known issue when you are using controllers.

OP my guess since they are focusing on the pot to UNity 5 you will not see a solution to this until then.

There is a work around involving deleting or editing the setting config and making sure the controller is plugged in and on before loading the game.

As for the games being "released" nowadays, particuliary for smaller developers, does not mean the game is done. It can mean anything from a completed game, still has some issues we are fixing and still some stuff we are adding, or we ran out of money and time here is what we were able to get done.

EDIT: Seems I am a very slow typist. Was only one person who posted before me when I start typing this.

Everyone knows the game was no where near ready when they launched. They said they had to release for undisclosed reasons, I assume major investors wanted a cash injection.

You should just read the millions of posts about it rather than going on about it again.

You're really late to the 'it's not ready' table.

You just need to post in the problems forum without the whining at this point.

I would suggest just playing as stock as you can with keyboard and mouse. There are some mods you just need like Kerbal Engineer and Kerbal Alarm Clock. The game will still crash but not as frequently.

The devs aren't going to spend any time fixing this build with the Unity 5 build looming.

Late to the table. Did you miss the part about me just getting back from a 15 month deployment?

I don't care if I am late. If Squad has burned us with a sub standard release they should be hearing out BMCs in their sleep. I am TIRED of the early access model failures, and I will make my dissatisfaction with a paid product known, regardless of how "late" I am. I've been following this game and bought it at the earliest version possible.

Yea I will pass on flying spaceships with a keyboard, especially when I have a 700 dolllar + sim setup...

I want to say I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the game, but honestly I'm really having trouble feeling it. Despite issues here and there, I thought the game was fantastic and more than got my expected hours of enjoyment out of it. For people who like this type of game, it's among the best out there. Squad isn't perfect, and I'm usually a serious critic of studious that made games like Fallout 3 or Fallen Enchantress that I've found too buggy to play. But your issue sounds like a bit of a niche one. It kind of sucks to fall into that niche, I admit, and I'd be frsutrated in your shoes too. But I'm less than impressed by your response.

I want to say I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the game, but honestly I'm really having trouble feeling it. Despite issues here and there, I thought the game was fantastic and more than got my expected hours of enjoyment out of it. For people who like this type of game, it's among the best out there. Squad isn't perfect, and I'm usually a serious critic of studious that made games like Fallout 3 or Fallen Enchantress that I've found too buggy to play. But your issue sounds like a bit of a niche one. It kind of sucks to fall into that niche, I admit, and I'd be frsutrated in your shoes too. But I'm less than impressed by your response.

I don't really care if my response "impressed" you, as I have every right to be extremely frustrated when I find that a listed feature of a game is so unbelievably broken it is totally unusable. I am less than impressed with Squad, and when a paying customer and long time supporter rightfully feels that way, that IS what matters. And it is not a niche problem, I have found many others with this issue that has apparently gone totally ignored by Squad for a couple versions, and that is just not cool.

- - - Updated - - -

:v

You said it, not me.

Yeah these threads always are.

The game works flawlessly here.

We are all so very happy for you.

On a "random things that may help" note:

If you had a previous version of KSP installed, and installed 1.0X on top of it, trying with a completely clean install again may help some issues. No idea if it's related to this one, but I know there was a fair bit of wonkiness back when the 1.X versions came out that was cleared up with a fresh install.

Given you've uninstalled already, it occurred to me that you might be half way to a possible solution already ;)

Have you created a topic on the support forums? If you share your log files, crash reports, all of that, you'll be well on your way to actually getting a solid result as to what the bug is, and a possible fix or workaround until it can be fully implemented by the devs. Whining about how bad the game is, and then getting aggressive with those that reply to you isn't going to help. If anything it makes you come off in a not so positive light.

Very powerful PC, lots of ram, Geforce 980TI GPU. Shouldn't be an issue there.

I have a HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, and TrackIR V5. I have started and rebooted the sim multiple times with and without the controls plugged in, and various controls plugged in and others left out. It fails to remember ANY setting when joystick is plugged in, and remembers them if they are not. ... Squad?

Instead of saying that, please try give specific info, like intel i7, 8GB ram, windows 7 (operative system matters a lot)

And by the way, are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of ksp?

Instead of saying that, please try give specific info, like intel i7, 8GB ram, windows 7 (operative system matters a lot)

And by the way, are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of ksp?

He's been asked several times for PC specs, he doesn't want help, he just wants to rant. Ignore him and let the thread die.

I don't really care if my response "impressed" you, as I have every right to be extremely frustrated when I find that a listed feature of a game is so unbelievably broken it is totally unusable. I am less than impressed with Squad, and when a paying customer and long time supporter rightfully feels that way, that IS what matters. And it is not a niche problem, I have found many others with this issue that has apparently gone totally ignored by Squad for a couple versions, and that is just not cool.

So your first post is at 8 pm (my time, anyway, Mountain), and the above post is at 10. The devs are scattered around, many in the DF (which is central time, so 11pm).

You might try posting a proper support thread, with logs, and other data useful to figure out the problem, then, you know, give it a little bit of time. It would be rather stunning to get support from dev on any game within minutes of a first post on the subject, in the middle of the night---particularly with no data so that they might try and replicate the problem.

You guys are completely missing this guy's point. This is "KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM 1.0 EDITION" that's supposed to be a released game, yet one of its features, here being joystick support, is utterly broken. Even if you ask for all his logs or whatever, it still doesn't erase the fact that this feature is supposed to work out-of-the-box, not a buggy broken mess. And don't say that he's the only person with this issue. This even happened to EJ_SA, of shuttle fame, ON THE 1.0 RELEASE STREAM. And the sad thing is that no matter how much this guy whines about it, it'll probably be never fixed, along with the games thousands of other bugs.