This glitchy mess is supposed to pass for release?

JG_Wentworth

Yeah, this^. How many complaints about the comprehensive brokenness of this "release" does it take for Squad to take bugfixing seriously? 1.x is the worst release yet. A large number of well known bugs from "alpha" are still not fixed, new bugs have been introduced, old players are left swinging waiting for a playable release (since the last that could be called that is no longer on the store) and new players are expected to pay ~2x the price of the early access for a game that is even more broken. :mad:

The OP may be overreacting, but joystick support isn't exactly a new and experimental feature - It's completely reasonable to expect that simple functions like this work out of the box.

Of course, the joystick issues are only the tip of the iceberg.

You guys are completely missing this guy's point. This is "KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM 1.0 EDITION" that's supposed to be a released game, yet one of its features, here being joystick support, is utterly broken. Even if you ask for all his logs or whatever, it still doesn't erase the fact that this feature is supposed to work out-of-the-box, not a buggy broken mess. And don't say that he's the only person with this issue. This even happened to EJ_SA, of shuttle fame, ON THE 1.0 RELEASE STREAM. And the sad thing is that no matter how much this guy whines about it, it'll probably be never fixed, along with the games thousands of other bugs.

As has been said many times, though, the version number means nothing to Squad, and we've beaten this dead thing so much I can't even tell if it's a horse anymore.

Alshain's got it right. This guy doesn't want help. He wants to complain. I can relate, though I have to remember back to when I felt that way.

Kudos to everybody who tried to help. You all are the reason the forum's so great.

Yeah, this^. How many complaints about the comprehensive brokenness of this "release" does it take for Squad to take bugfixing seriously? 1.x is the worst release yet. A large number of well known bugs from "alpha" are still not fixed, new bugs have been introduced, old players are left swinging waiting for a playable release (since the last that could be called that is no longer on the store) and new players are expected to pay ~2x the price of the early access for a game that is even more broken. :mad:

The OP may be overreacting, but joystick support isn't exactly a new and experimental feature - It's completely reasonable to expect that simple functions like this work out of the box.

Of course, the joystick issues are only the tip of the iceberg.

First of all, to those who say I "refuse" to give PC specs, I don't give them because it doesn't matter at this point. I know what is wrong, and it is a problem with the game... I can play the game, but my experience is ruined by inability to use an advertised feature.

As the quoted post says, my point goes beyond trouble shooting. This game is a full release with totally unacceptable bugs, and I am EXTREMELY frustrated at that. Imagine leaving KSP at version .18, and coming back to hear it's fully released, feeling extremely excited, and getting smacked in the face with this BS. That is where I am at.

we've beaten this dead thing so much I can't even tell if it's a horse anymore.

But you just proved them right; nobody complains about things that work.

Kudos to everybody who tried to help. You all are the reason the forum's so great.

100% true.

There is no set standard anymore for alpha, beta, and release it can be different standard for individual devs.

The Apha is adding features, beta bug fixing. optimize, and balance and release being relatively bug free optimized and balanced is no longer the path a lot of games in developement follow.

The important part is when the devs say they are done with the game. Squad has not done this yet so we have a game that is still in developement regardless that it is labeled 1.0.4.

I imagine when the port to Unity 5 is released we will be complaining about a new set of bugs. I also do not imagine Squad will worry too much about fixing bugs until the port is complete.

Edited by WOODY01

First of all, to those who say I "refuse" to give PC specs, I don't give them because it doesn't matter at this point. I know what is wrong, and it is a problem with the game... I can play the game, but my experience is ruined by inability to use an advertised feature.

As the quoted post says, my point goes beyond trouble shooting. This game is a full release with totally unacceptable bugs, and I am EXTREMELY frustrated at that. Imagine leaving KSP at version .18, and coming back to hear it's fully released, feeling extremely excited, and getting smacked in the face with this BS. That is where I am at.

Whether you think it is important or not, it's still necessary.

If you want this to be addressed, then make a thread in the Support subforum instead of whining in General Dicussion - It'll help. I'm telling you.

I feel you, though. I was kinda.. bummed by 1.0 myself, honestly.

Edited by Columbia

I know most of us here have become accustomed to the bugs and endless crashing, we've all had the "it's Unitys fault" excuse drummed into us over and over again.

But if you take a step back for a moment, from the point of view of someone who hasn't followed the development (or lack thereof) so closely, it's a pretty dismal effort.

The game is slower and buggier than ever before, the only things that have changed are the label and the price.

If you put a big "now released" sign up, and you want to charge release grade prices, people are going to expect a product that actually works properly.

Enough with the excuses already. Fix It.

Unity 5 is not a magic fix for all the problems, and anyone who thinks it will be is going to be disappointed. Again.

"Open a support request" is pretty pointless, the only support you'll get is "It's Unitys fault, can't fix" or "here's a partial (non-squad) workaround". As usual.

I'm sorry you feel so strongly against version 1.0. I've been playing this game since .15, and quite frankly, it changed my entire life. I now want to become an aeronautical engineer and this game has inspired me and given me way more than my 13$ spent for a silly rocket game. I personally have never experienced any gamebreaking bugs in my pure stock game (stock ftw) and I am legitimately sorry you feel 1.0 is unplayable. This doesn't excuse how 1.0 should have been much more thorough, but I don't think it warrants a complete failure of the game as a whole, which I think is fantastic.

"Open a support request" is pretty pointless, the only support you'll get is "It's Unitys fault, can't fix" or "here's a partial (non-squad) workaround". As usual.

Well, it's still better than just ranting. At least the latter scenario has a workaround. :P

Seems from the dev notes over time that the senior developers enjoy building new features but dislike bug fixing. Makes sense why the community managers keep changing, they have to deal with the rage quit rants. Also probably why the port to U5 and PS4 said to be unexpectedly difficult. Face palm not enough time and money to fix the bugs early on but plenty to blow when dealing with them over and over again. Some government must have significant shares in sQUAD.

Then perhaps those google searches are return results from people who aren't reporting through the correct channels.

Does not exactly take away from the point that - contrary to what you asserted - OP is far from the only one with the problem, does it?

To solve your problem with your key bindings resetting, you can save your settings file to your desktop or some place else and then copy and paste it back into the KSP folder when you want to play. I use an Xbox controller and if I start KSP with the controller unplugged, all my settings reset so I keep a copy of my settings so i don't have to rebind every time.

For the crashing issue,try setting all your graphic settings to the lowest and then see if it crashes.Slowly turn everything up until it crashes and then test the settings you turned up one by one until you find the problem.

Personally i play with allot of mods so i have to have all my settings at low.

The recent patch notes say plenty about bug fixing. I'm sorry (even for myself) that various bugs remain, but it's not for lack of effort, on the developer's part.

I roughly counted 12 fixes out of about 100 new features and parts added only about a week after 1.0. Thanks for the link to support my comments.

Just a small tip from a software developer. 80% of the people that react that you do, but calm down and help me to pinpoint the problem, have the following issue:

* Broken harddisk

* Broken RAM

* Out of date video card drivers with known problems (or no drivers at all!)

I have the "joystick-resets settings" problem, too. What I do is: change access of the config file to "read-only". It's an ugly workaround, but it works reliably. And yes I agree, this is a bug that should've been fixed before the release.

Other than that KSP gives me so much joy that I don't care.

Just a small tip from a software developer. 80% of the people that react that you do, but calm down and help me to pinpoint the problem, have the following issue:

* Broken harddisk

* Broken RAM

* Out of date video card drivers with known problems (or no drivers at all!)

And the other 20% don't get back to you because by digging slightly deeper, they found the problem themselves :D

And the sad thing is that no matter how much this guy whines about it, it'll probably be never fixed, along with the games thousands of other bugs.

The sad thing is that no matter how much this (and others) guy whine about it, it will probably never be fixed because they refuse to use the standard process and prefer whining uselessly...

Support forum, detailed bug report, specs, logs, etc... Not so hard. Very usefull. At least, more usefull than whining.

There is no set standard anymore for alpha, beta, and release....

And therein lies my problem with Early Access gaming in a nutshell. There is no standard. . . Just here ya go, that'll do, just release it already. Broken and unplayable? No problem... We got plenty of fans to scream ALPHA BRUH!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the "joystick-resets settings" problem, too. What I do is: change access of the config file to "read-only". It's an ugly workaround, but it works reliably. And yes I agree, this is a bug that should've been fixed before the release.

Other than that KSP gives me so much joy that I don't care.

That is a pretty good idea, now that my pissed off meter has dropped a bit I will do a clean install and give that a shot. Stupid we have to make a work around like that...

I'm just gonna lock this....

this ain't no support request - it's a war in the making...

C'mon... start with a positive attitude, problems would be solved by now with the same amount of energy spent :P

BTW -- Early alpha is all that stands between indie (decent) development and poverty/starvation in this age of money-grubbing "freemium" nonsense

Over and out...

Edited by Moach