[WIP][0.1] Red vs Blue!A BDArmory expansion pack... now with 100% more stealth!

Scoundrel

Shhh! I've got a secret announcement to make: RvB has its first update! I've snuck in a bunch of missiles, stealth bays, and a stealth gun, but it's all top secret, so make sure you only tell everyone you know! :sealed:

Remember: Loose lips means you need to see a doctor right away before they fall off!

YES. I have been waiting with varying degrees of patience for what seems like forever!

These stealth bays are great, but can we get one that's about 2/3 of the large one, sometime in the future?

You're in luck, because I already have a rough model of one! Don't believe me? Note that there's room between Weapons Bay, Small and Weapons Bay, Large... for Weapons Bay, Medium! :cool:

So yeah, there'll be an intermediate sized one for sidewinder/asraam sized missiles, but not for a little while yet. The Large and Small bays took up waaaaay too much time to build (mostly because they had to be constantly resized and retextured as I tried to get them to fit all the missiles properly) but now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing, I'm going to take my time and build the Medium bay properly from the outset... maybe make it like a Raptor bay or something, with little side bays for K-60s, or maybe like a JSF bay... I haven't decided yet! :D

...would you be willing to explain how to set up an animated cargo bay in blender/unity by chance?

I don't know Blender as I use C4D; but all you need is a tutorial on how to animate in Blender (or whatever you end up using) and just experiment. The most complicated part is setting up the collision meshes, which you'll figure out the best way for your part through trial and error. Lots of work hehehehe.

The Unity end is stupid simple once you've done it a few times:

1. first, make sure you're using Unity 4.2.2 (it's what the devs use and it apparently has all the animation features that later versions don't)
  2. import the part into Unity - I just drag and drop the file into the assets window
  3. select the part which should cause the part inspector window to open
  4. click "Rig" and set the animation to "Legacy" (unless you search for a tutorial that says otherwise) and click "Apply"
  5. click "Animations" and go down to the "Clips" section: it should have some default name, all you have to do is go a little bit lower and you'll see a text box with that default name. Change it to something like "bayDoors" or whatever tickles your fancy, and then set the keyframes for the animation. It turns out for doors you only need 1 animation: KSP just plays the animation backwards to reverse it. Click "Apply" and write the animation name down somewhere because your config file uses it.
  6. Then you go to the Hierarchy window, click the root portion of your part (it'll be directly under your GameObject) and there should be an Animation component visible. If you did everything right, there'll be your animation clip name with a little play button. Make sure you uncheck "Play Automatically" or hilarity may ensue when you open it in KSP.
  7. from there the rest is just like any other part: set up your collision meshes (make sure to delete the mesh renderer for them else they'll show up with your part!); make sure your part is oriented properly (depends on the part, obviously); set up the save name and texture export; then clicky de Parts Tools Writey button (as they say in France. Or Spain. Or New York)
  8. ???
  9. Profit!

How about a rotating bomb bay, like on the Buccaneer?

I've got one modelled as a test, but like the LAU-142 I was working on earlier, it turns out that I need a portion of code from Infernal Robotics to make it function: it just rotates the full 360° without stopping. :huh:

Also, more annoyingly, the rack rotates, but the #^!&%# ordnance doesn't rotate with it! Grrr! :mad:

Someday, though, after KSP 1.1 (or whatever they're calling the Unity 5.x version of KSP) has been released and everyone has updated their mods so they can work with the new version, I'll revisit them and see if I can get them to work. Until then, they shall sadly sit neglected in a corner of my hard drive, a brilliant yet unrealized testimony to my spectacularly awesome visionary visions of awesomeness.

:(

You're in luck, because I already have a rough model of one! Don't believe me? Note that there's room between Weapons Bay, Small and Weapons Bay, Large... for Weapons Bay, Medium! :cool:

So yeah, there'll be an intermediate sized one for sidewinder/asraam sized missiles, but not for a little while yet. The Large and Small bays took up waaaaay too much time to build (mostly because they had to be constantly resized and retextured as I tried to get them to fit all the missiles properly) but now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing, I'm going to take my time and build the Medium bay properly from the outset... maybe make it like a Raptor bay or something, with little side bays for K-60s, or maybe like a JSF bay... I haven't decided yet!

Sweet! But if I could continue in this request, could there be a side bay and non side bay version. I want to make a t 50 pak fa-like plane with a pair of the medium bays and AFAIK, there aren't side bays due to the intakes and engines. But if not, at least I tried! Thanks for all your hard work!

I don't know Blender as I use C4D; but all you need is a tutorial on how to animate in Blender (or whatever you end up using) and just experiment. The most complicated part is setting up the collision meshes, which you'll figure out the best way for your part through trial and error. Lots of work hehehehe.

The Unity end is stupid simple once you've done it a few times:

1. first, make sure you're using Unity 4.2.2 (it's what the devs use and it apparently has all the animation features that later versions don't)
  2. import the part into Unity - I just drag and drop the file into the assets window
  3. select the part which should cause the part inspector window to open
  4. click "Rig" and set the animation to "Legacy" (unless you search for a tutorial that says otherwise) and click "Apply"
  5. click "Animations" and go down to the "Clips" section: it should have some default name, all you have to do is go a little bit lower and you'll see a text box with that default name. Change it to something like "bayDoors" or whatever tickles your fancy, and then set the keyframes for the animation. It turns out for doors you only need 1 animation: KSP just plays the animation backwards to reverse it. Click "Apply" and write the animation name down somewhere because your config file uses it.
  6. Then you go to the Hierarchy window, click the root portion of your part (it'll be directly under your GameObject) and there should be an Animation component visible. If you did everything right, there'll be your animation clip name with a little play button. Make sure you uncheck "Play Automatically" or hilarity may ensue when you open it in KSP.
  7. from there the rest is just like any other part: set up your collision meshes (make sure to delete the mesh renderer for them else they'll show up with your part!); make sure your part is oriented properly (depends on the part, obviously); set up the save name and texture export; then clicky de Parts Tools Writey button (as they say in France. Or Spain. Or New York)
  8. ???
  9. Profit!

:(

Umm did you create a new 25x137mm ammo resource

Why yes I did... and darnit, I only updated my 30mm ammo config for avoiding future resource conflicts. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I thought I had fixed that. :( I guess that's something for the next RvB update.

EDIT: and apparently I had changed it, but it didn't overwrite the final files when I copied my development changes to my production folder for some reason. :huh:

Edited by Scoundrel

I tried the missiles and cannon, but they don't really work. The cannon just doesn't damage the plane and the missiles are always duds, just explodes on impact and no damage to the plane. Is that a bug?

I tried the missiles and cannon, but they don't really work. The cannon just doesn't damage the plane and the missiles are always duds, just explodes on impact and no damage to the plane. Is that a bug?

That might be a conflict between BDA and other mods. I tested the gun by destroying KSC with it (well, most of it) as well as dropping bursts into heat shields...which didn't last too long - they were mostly to check for dispersion - but if it still seems too low I'll crank up the damage. Also if you're using the K-4 missiles, yeah, they're garbage because they are an exact recreation of AIM-4s which were historically crummy - I did that because I'm going to link them to the tech tree down the road after KSP 1.1 is released, but I haven't done it yet because I don't want to do all the work now only to have to redo them because of the change to Unity 5.x and whatever else is changed in BDA/KSP. The K-26, K-60, K-77 and K-132 all have accurate blast damage configs (relative to their warhead size vs what Baha has listed for his ordnance), which are mostly superior to the Sidewinder so you should be knocking planes out of the sky with them.

Unfortunately I don't have a missile testing range setup so I can't verify blast damage (I really wish there was some documentation with BDA so I had a better idea of what was what), but if people could do some testing with them and give me feedback, I'll be more than happy to tweak the numbers if it turns out they're too low - which they may very well be.

Any idea what'll be in the next update?

For KSP or BDA? No, not really - other than AI improvements for BDA.

For RvB? Right now I'm working on MICA, 530 series, IRIS-T (it flies crazy when I plug its RL attributes into the config, so I have a ton of work yet to do to get it to not fly like an early sidewinder... grrr! :mad: ), Magic, and a 30mm gun. I'm also toying with building an R-73, but I'm kind of on the fence about that one. There's a few other ideas I'm kicking around, but I'm waiting until Baha gets back to BDA to see if they'll work.

For KSP or BDA? No, not really - other than AI improvements for BDA.

For RvB? Right now I'm working on MICA, 530 series, IRIS-T (it flies crazy when I plug its RL attributes into the config, so I have a ton of work yet to do to get it to not fly like an early sidewinder... grrr! :mad: ), Magic, and a 30mm gun. I'm also toying with building an R-73, but I'm kind of on the fence about that one. There's a few other ideas I'm kicking around, but I'm waiting until Baha gets back to BDA to see if they'll work.

LordPROMETHEUS did an R-73. And I was talking about RvB, very excited to see the MICAs and 530s.

LordPROMETHEUS did an R-73.

Yup. It's pretty good too. If I did an R-73 it would be to use (close to) real-world stats... which means the missiles don't quite perform like their real world counterparts since I have no idea how BDA handles drag and turning so it's trial and error to get the missiles to work properly. Poking around BDA code hasn't revealed much, unfortunately.

...very excited to see the MICAs and 530s.

Me too. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, RvB is on indefinite hold thanks to change in government putting my livelihood in crisis mode.

"Dance little monkey! Dance for your supper!"

:mad:

Good luck scoundrel. Contract work I take it?

KSP will be here when you get back. For now take care of you man.

Contract work I take it?

Affirmative! It's where I get my juicy details for parts (nothing classified tho... I like my freedom!), but geopolitical events coupled with a change in gov't has gobbled up all of my time. I miss the good ole days when I was just a simple consultant. :(

Oh yeah, real life always takes precedence

Unfortunately that is the truth. RvB is fun because I'm testing new learning techniques and expanding my skillset (I'm a polymath thanks to my addiction to learning), and I'd definitely prefer to be doing that all day, but apparently I need things like "sustenance" and "shelter" and an internet connection in order to indulge my hobbies.

But do not fear! I shall return to RvB! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Scoundrel']Affirmative! It's where I get my juicy details for parts (nothing classified tho... I like my freedom!), but geopolitical events coupled with a change in gov't has gobbled up all of my time. I miss the good ole days when I was just a simple consultant. :(

I feel you on the recent worldwide events have ruined my free time thing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...