[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

21 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

so has anyone tested v0.0.4 to see how far back it might be backwards compatable?

There probably isn't much to see before IVAs were added in 0.17 :wink:

Today's progress: the hatches in the Mk. 1 space plane parts now function correctly. Next up: the Mk. 2 space plane part hatches. These are a mix of pre-Porkjet and newer parts, so there will be a few different solutions needed.

Also fixed: the Mk. 1 inline cockpit is now wide enough downstairs (this one has a secret downstairs tunnel) to travel without bouncing off the walls. You can now also return to your seat if you fall from the craft by switching to an external view.

New update is now available:

• Added colliders to Mobile Processing Lab. It should now be possible to move around inside this part without floating through the vessel.

• Added ability to open and close hatches in Mk. 1 spaceplane parts.Can get into different seats in the same part or different parts.

• Return to seat on leaving IVA view.

• Fixed Mk. 1 inline cockpit being too narrow to pass through.

Still a lot to work to go, but the current goal is to give every part solid walls and openable hatches.

First, thanks²³.Hope this mod gets 10000+ downloads that brings me to two,some happend with it-some cursforge error

at least some pictures of this HOLY COW mod

Spoiler

KFQtmOH.png

BwcQYfQ.png

IiLOJ7y.png

Puy0gbY.png

13JYN0f.png

gamechanging-just beautiful

this mod gives a good reason to not build any tanks or uncrewed stuff between crewed stuff,realy enjoy that.

6 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

First, thanks²³.Hope this mod gets 10000+ downloads that brings me to two,some happend with it-some cursforge error

at least some pictures of this HOLY COW mod

Hide contents

KFQtmOH.png

BwcQYfQ.png

IiLOJ7y.png

Puy0gbY.png

13JYN0f.png

gamechanging-just beautiful

this mod gives a good reason to not build any tanks or uncrewed stuff between crewed stuff,realy enjoy that.

Wow, amazing photos! I spend all my time editing the mod on the launchpad that I never get to see it in space. That looks great!

In the last two pictures, you're seeing the bottom of the outside of the cupola through the glass (the IVA layout can be mind bending...). I think some more shader trickery might get around it. but we'll see :)

3 hours ago, theonegalen said:

A TRIUMPHANT RETURN!

Wow, @pizzaoverhead, I thought we had seen the last of you long ago! This is fantastic and amazing, and I'm so happy right now.

EDIT: CurseForge is giving a "NOT FOUND" message when I click the link above.

Thanks! And thanks for the heads up! Looks like I gave it a title Curseforge didn't like. It should be available in the next few hours.

35 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Thanks! And thanks for the heads up! Looks like I gave it a title Curseforge didn't like. It should be available in the next few hours.

You know there's *no* waiting, with SpaceDock.info ... ;)

And THANK YOU for the mod... I have big ideas for this... the question is, if I will ever be able to produce results :P

Edited by Stone Blue

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few questions about this mod in regards to some things I feel could use tweaking.

First is the white ball that seems to represent the camera position.  Is there some way to permanently disable it?  

And on the topic of permanent things, is away to toggle the GUI on and off instead of having it appear every time you fly?

I was unable to permanently keep things like clipping turned off and since I had to keep the GUI up or lose it,  the only solution was to tuck the window down in the corner of the screen for when needed.   

I love this mod and while none of this is GUI window stuff is a big deal for a few flights, over time however it's a lot of extra grunt work that could be resolved with a simple button like mechjeb has or a hotkey and the ability to have changes in settings be permanent.

Edited by mcbmaestro

As of 9th of March 2019, there is a bug with Input locks for every space craft after a while.

Edited by mgzsman06
wanted to add a reason for edit. Plus I found out why one of the things wasnt working. my fault

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to bug an awesome modder too much so I'll make this short:  Is there a way to bring the GUI back after closing it?  I can tuck the box in a corner but it's not ideal.   Is there also a way to have clipping off by default?   Again not ideal to have to toggle it on every flight.

Lastly if there is some grunt work we could do like finding coordinates to new hatches etc let us know!

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 9:23 AM, mcbmaestro said:

I don't want to bug an awesome modder too much so I'll make this short:  Is there a way to bring the GUI back after closing it?  I can tuck the box in a corner but it's not ideal.   Is there also a way to have clipping off by default?   Again not ideal to have to toggle it on every flight.

Lastly if there is some grunt work we could do like finding coordinates to new hatches etc let us know!

There's no way to do that currently: The mod doesn't store any settings yet.

Any help would be appreciated. There are a lot of parts in the game now. Anything with an IVA needs to have colliders added to it so that it can be used without falling through into space. This would be easiest done using a 3D modelling program, but it could also be done by editing the config files with values obtained from the collider part of the GUI. All the parts without IVAs that could have them (e.g. the station hub) would need new IVAs made to be useable.

On 2/7/2019 at 1:01 AM, pizzaoverhead said:
  • Added colliders to Mobile Processing Lab. It should now be possible to move around inside this part without floating through the vessel.

Could this method also be used for other parts?

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

slow in what way?

Not to speak for pizzaoverhead, but I'm pretty sure modelling IVA meshes to match up to the external part meshes, (even colliders, especially since KSP only does convex colliders), is quite tedious and time consuming...

95% of the part modders I know of that make crewed/crew possible parts, simply wont touch IVAs, since they are so much work, for so few people that use them. (I say few, relatively speaking, as even tho people who DO use IVAs are plentiful, and quite vocal in the community, they are *still* most likely a vast minority)

11 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Not to speak for pizzaoverhead, but I'm pretty sure modelling IVA meshes to match up to the external part meshes, (even colliders, especially since KSP only does convex colliders), is quite tedious and time consuming...

95% of the part modders I know of that make crewed/crew possible parts, simply wont touch IVAs, since they are so much work, for so few people that use them. (I say few, relatively speaking, as even tho people who DO use IVAs are plentiful, and quite vocal in the community, they are *still* most likely a vast minority)

It's much worse than that: All the IVA colliders that this mod sets up were written in the equivalent of notepad from within KSP.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Kikin8034 said:

Is this mod still alive ? If yes i would like to contribute in any way i can, i have lots of free time. This is the mod ive been wanting for quite a while and found it only now. 

The short answer is “no, it’s dead.”

The long answer is that pizzaoverhead has has other things to do than KSP modding, and so they haven’t had the time or desire to continue work on this. You won’t be able to help them because of that. However, the license (MIT) does permit redistribution of derivative works. If you have as much free time as you say, you could learn how this mod works and take up development in their absence.

You can, but if you release it to the world, then you’d become a modder. People will incessantly pester you for updates, you’ll be more annoyed than excited to see new versions of KSP, you’ll get bug reports with ridiculously insufficient information, and plenty of other things I don’t know about because I’m not one. You’d have to sustain your enthusiasm for development based on only the knowledge people are enjoying it. And maybe that will be enough, and you’d end up with something genuinely satisfying to work on and fun to play with. Maybe it won’t, and you’ll just move on with your life, letting the mod fade into obscurity once again. Only time will tell.

That’s the way to help if you want to, from what I can see. Or you could not bother. I dunno, I’m not your mom.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope some modder like linuxgurugamer updates this mod, it's really great. Sadly it's dead

On 7/25/2020 at 5:00 PM, RyanRising said:

The short answer is “no, it’s dead.”

The long answer is that pizzaoverhead has has other things to do than KSP modding, and so they haven’t had the time or desire to continue work on this. You won’t be able to help them because of that. However, the license (MIT) does permit redistribution of derivative works. If you have as much free time as you say, you could learn how this mod works and take up development in their absence.

You can, but if you release it to the world, then you’d become a modder. People will incessantly pester you for updates, you’ll be more annoyed than excited to see new versions of KSP, you’ll get bug reports with ridiculously insufficient information, and plenty of other things I don’t know about because I’m not one. You’d have to sustain your enthusiasm for development based on only the knowledge people are enjoying it. And maybe that will be enough, and you’d end up with something genuinely satisfying to work on and fun to play with. Maybe it won’t, and you’ll just move on with your life, letting the mod fade into obscurity once again. Only time will tell.

That’s the way to help if you want to, from what I can see. Or you could not bother. I dunno, I’m not your mom.

If only I knew about modding I would try and update it, but sadly my knowledge is poor

• 4 months later...

@pizzaoverhead if you ever come back to this, I was just wondering what all is involved with this:
"This would be easiest done using a 3D modelling program, but it could also be done by editing the config files with values obtained from the collider part of the GUI."

Taniwha's Blender plugin does some kewl collider stuff, as well as being able to calculate and do "stuff" with mesh volumes. There is also some cfg parsing/creation ability, too.

Just wondering what all is involved with getting/manipulating the needed info the GUI does. Wondering if it would be doable, and how difficult to mebbe modify Taniwha's plugin to do some/all of this? vOv

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2015 at 7:03 AM, pizzaoverhead said:

Free IVA! Free as in freedom: Get out of your seat while in IVA, move around inside your craft, open and close hatches.

Hello @pizzaoverhead,

We're sorry, but it's come to our attention that you need some updates in order to come into compliance with the add-on posting rules.

Could you please update the OP of this thread to bring it into compliance?  (And, if necessary, the downloadable zip file.)

The issues at hand:

• You need a link to your source code.  I see a link to a download in the OP here, but there needs to be a link to the source code for the mod.
  • You need to say what the license is.  I see no mention of any license in the OP.
    • In the forum thread OP, it's sufficient simply to identify the license by name, if it's a well-known one (e.g. just say "License: <name of license>").
    • In the downloadable zip file, you need to have a license file that actually contains the full text of the license, with all legalese and so forth.

This is now causing issues because other people are trying to publish derived works (see @JonnyOThan's comment above), and unfortunately, as moderators we can't allow anyone to do anything with this until the source code & licensing issues are straightened out.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.

[EDIT:  OP has not been fixed, a week later-- sorry, we need to remove the download link.  @pizzaoverhead, we're sorry for the inconvenience.  Please feel free to restore the link as soon as the issues have been addressed.]