[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

can JonnyOThan post the recompiled DLlink? dosnot get it. confused

Yes, it is possible for someone to post a recompiled version of the mod, because the mod's license permits it.

No, it is not possible to "just post a link" to a download, because that wouldn't satisfy all the add-on posting rules. Posting a recompile = publishing a mod, so anyone posting a recompile has to jump through all the same hoops as a person publishing their own mod. So they'd have to state the license, include a link to their own source, include a license file in their distributable, etc.

Also, anyone posting a recompile can't include any of the art assets, since those are All Rights Reserved and can't be redistributed.

New alpha release for 2021 for feedback and discussion. There's still a long way to go, but it is now usable again. This release contains some bugfixes and better setup for some stock parts.

Download is available here.

As always, don't use this on an important save, and don't report bugs to other developers while it's installed.

On 3/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

New alpha release for 2021 for feedback and discussion. There's still a long way to go, but it is now usable again. This release contains some bugfixes and better setup for some stock parts.

Download is available here.

As always, don't use this on an important save, and don't report bugs to other developers while it's installed.

That’s awesome! I’ll test it as soon as I get a chance and let you know how it goes. Surprised you decided to take up the mantle again.

Next couple weeks I plan on hopefully creating colliders for all landing cans and mk3 control modules. @pizzaoverhead, can colliders be created for modded parts such as the ALCOR pod and planetary base systems?

If I am able to make the colliders, I'd like to, with @pizzaoverheadpermission, share the collider config file in this thread

Edited by foofie99

19 hours ago, foofie99 said:

Next couple weeks I plan on hopefully creating colliders for all landing cans and mk3 control modules. @pizzaoverhead, can colliders be created for modded parts such as the ALCOR pod and planetary base systems?

If I am able to make the colliders, I'd like to, with @pizzaoverheadpermission, share the collider config file in this thread

Of course! If anyone wants to post configs for mods, I'll add them to the OP.  The method of creating FreeIVA colliders in game using the  debug UI isn't very good right now (it's much easier to do in the 3D modelling software when you're making the IVA), but I'll see if I can make it less awful to use for you.

The basic process is that you click "Advanced mode", then "Show collider configuration".  This screen shows you all the colliders in the part you're currently in (be careful moving around, as you can accidentally change parts), and also lets you create and edit the colliders in the part.

Click the "Create new collider" button to spawn a large white cube in the centre of the part (this may be below the floor in some parts, so you might have to look around). You then shape, rotate and position the collider by editing the values for Position, Scale and Rotation. A scale of 0.1 for thickness seems to work well to stop clipping through the walls, but some parts need thinner walls. The smallest ones I've had success with are at a scale of 0.05.

All edits done here are temporary. To make changes to a collider permanent, you can click the "Copy to clipboard" button and paste it into the cfg file, just below the "name = ModuleFreeIva" section.

Free IVA 0.1.2 is now available here. As part of figuring out how other mods should integrate themselves with Free IVA, I've created a simple placeholder IVA for the stock Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector (station hub) part. An improved version of this should be finished soon.

PxTZ8fE.png

Beyond this, the structural fuselage now has colliders, using a new method where the part's external colliders are used in IVA too. This part is, as far as I know, the only stock IVA-passable part that has colliders set up that are accurate for the outside and inside of the part. All IVA parts also now have floor colliders, as the first step in making the stock parts safe to traverse without falling through.

If you want to keep track on what's happening on this mod, check out the roadmap, as it will be updated as things progress.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

@pizzaoverheadi have an incredibly stupid idea. Can colliders not be made based on the existing interior mesh? If so, could a python script potentially just add a collision layer to every internal mesh in the Iva? I don't know much about modeling so...

All that would remain is to manually add a hatch to the part then, as chairs and stuff should be rendered as objects not flat projections meaning their mesh already exists, just not as a collider.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

Free IVA 0.1.2 is now available here. As part of figuring out how other mods should integrate themselves with Free IVA, I've created a simple placeholder IVA for the stock Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector (station hub) part. An improved version of this should be finished soon.

PxTZ8fE.png

Beyond this, the structural fuselage now has colliders, using a new method where the part's external colliders are used in IVA too. This part is, as far as I know, the only stock IVA-passable part that has colliders set up that are accurate for the outside and inside of the part. All IVA parts also now have floor colliders, as the first step in making the stock parts safe to traverse without falling through.

If you want to keep track on what's happening on this mod, check out the roadmap, as it will be updated as things progress.

Also, what does the line, added conversion for using part colliders as IVA colliders mean/do? And how do I use that feature

On 3/27/2021 at 4:55 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

Of course! If anyone wants to post configs for mods, I'll add them to the OP.  The method of creating FreeIVA colliders in game using the  debug UI isn't very good right now (it's much easier to do in the 3D modelling software when you're making the IVA), but I'll see if I can make it less awful to use for you.

The basic process is that you click "Advanced mode", then "Show collider configuration".  This screen shows you all the colliders in the part you're currently in (be careful moving around, as you can accidentally change parts), and also lets you create and edit the colliders in the part.

Click the "Create new collider" button to spawn a large white cube in the centre of the part (this may be below the floor in some parts, so you might have to look around). You then shape, rotate and position the collider by editing the values for Position, Scale and Rotation. A scale of 0.1 for thickness seems to work well to stop clipping through the walls, but some parts need thinner walls. The smallest ones I've had success with are at a scale of 0.05.

All edits done here are temporary. To make changes to a collider permanent, you can click the "Copy to clipboard" button and paste it into the cfg file, just below the "name = ModuleFreeIva" section.

How is it done in the 3d modeling software? I could work on that and release a repack of the stock IVAs with colliders all in, and the same for a few popular mods.

12 hours ago, foofie99 said:

I have an incredibly stupid idea. Can colliders not be made based on the existing interior mesh? If so, could a python script potentially just add a collision layer to every internal mesh in the Iva?

Its not quite so simple... colliders cannot be concave... they must be convex... so if you just copied the interior mesh(es) to mesh colliders, most liely they would all have some concavity in them... Then you'ld have to have a way of calculating how they would be split up...

12 hours ago, foofie99 said:

All that would remain is to manually add a hatch to the part then, as chairs and stuff should be rendered as objects not flat projections meaning their mesh already exists, just not as a collider.

Again.. same thing... props dont generally have colliders... the only colliders on props, are generally small, triggered ones, for user interaction, over buttons/handles/controls/MFDs... You'ld have the same issue as converting the IVA mesh to colliders... tho doing props might be easier, since they would be interacted with, from *outside* the box, where as with the IVA colliders, you'ld be *inside* the box... so doing colliders based on the bounds shape of the props, you might have moar lee-way in not having to match the mesh shape as exactly, so  might be easier to come up with colliders that dont have any conacavity issue.. vOv

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Its not quite so simple... colliders cannot be concave... they must be convex... so if you just copied the interior mesh(es) to mesh colliders, most liely they would all have some concavity in them... Then you'ld have to have a way of calculating how they would be split up...

Again.. same thing... props dont generally have colliders... the only colliders on props, are generally small, triggered ones, for user interaction, over buttons/handles/controls/MFDs... You'ld have the same issue as converting the IVA mesh to colliders... tho doing props might be easier, since they would be interacted with, from *outside* the box, where as with the IVA colliders, you'ld be *inside* the box... so doing colliders based on the bounds shape of the props, you might have moar lee-way in not having to match the mesh shape as exactly, so  might be easier to come up with colliders that dont have any conacavity issue.. vOv

For concave colliders, triangulate the mesh into flat triangles and make each a collider, no? Again, the most I've done with modeling is basically nothing lmao. Would that work?

As Stone Blue says, colliders needing to be convex is the problem. If for example you have a cylinder shaped part that you want to turn into a collider, the collider you'd get from that mesh would be a solid cylinder (that pops you to the outside of the vessel when you try to move inside it), when what you really want is a hollow one. What you'd ideally want is the difference between the external part model and the internal one, but those two often don't match up as you'd expect. As a quick example, did you ever notice that one of the cupola's windows is shorter than the others? But only on the outside? This doesn't matter in game, and you'll probably  never notice it, but it affects how you would set up colliders. There's some interpretation of what's important needed, along with checking what works, which makes it more of a manual process.

Spoiler

wNnLH4o.png

Q2aJ4LD.png

20 hours ago, foofie99 said:

Also, what does the line, added conversion for using part colliders as IVA colliders mean/do? And how do I use that feature

ModuleFreeIva can now have CopyPartCollidersToInternalColliders = true which will search for BoxColliders in a Part and create IVA versions of them. IVAs are secretly rotated compared to everything else in the world, and are on a different layer. Here's what it looks like (visible thanks to DebugStuff):

j8WuyiH.png

The bottom ring of yellow boxes are the part colliders for the stock structural fuselage. The one above and to the right is a set of colliders for the same part, but in IVA space. The IVA cockpit isn't shown, but it would be horizontal and pointing to the left.

On 9/11/2015 at 4:45 AM, pizzaoverhead said:

How are you doing to ad an IVA to the Z-4K Rechargeable Battery Bank?

2 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

In short, the IVA is going to be a 25cm long tunnel passing through it that you can remove the hatches for.  It might look something like this:

EfbAf7q.png

Ok. Thanks!

Small progress report: using the large battery part won't limit your mobility.  This has shown up some issues in Free IVA that will need to be fixed, but there will soon be two extra IVA spaces added by this mod to traverse through.

Lxrhrkd.png

Edited by pizzaoverhead

5 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Small progress report: using the large battery part won't limit your mobility.  This has shown up some issues in Free IVA that will need to be fixed, but there will soon be two extra IVA spaces added by this mod to traverse through.

Lxrhrkd.png

It's... beautiful...

21 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

looks great.

found some nertea IVAs that have a new hatchdoor

screenshot25.png

screenshot29.png

mods:ReStock&NFProps

Speaking of mods that I'd love to see this working with: ASET avionics&alcor command pod, rpm, planetary base systems!

22 minutes ago, foofie99 said:

Speaking of mods that I'd love to see this working with: ASET avionics&alcor command pod, rpm, planetary base systems!

ASET Avionics, RPM & MAS are kind of inapplicable... the only way they would come in, is that designing/modifying FreeIVA IVAs just need to tae their positioning into account.

alcor command pod would be very cool, if the had the colliders.for ASET avionics,rpm  i dont think its possible to turn a switch when out of a seat,but AFAIK when u inside a seat, buttoms &switches should work normal.please correct me if iam wrong.

14 minutes ago, foofie99 said:

planetary base systems

has a very nice interior,same as ReStock&SSPX  one of the best mods for IVA fans

3 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

alcor command pod would be very cool, if the had the colliders.for ASET avionics,rpm  i dont think its possible to turn a switch when out of a seat,but AFAIK when u inside a seat, buttoms &switches should work normal.please correct me if iam wrong.

Idk if you can test it out, as the ALCOR may not have a floor collider, but it already has a rear hatch that has a hndle you can click on, to open the hatch, and then "EVA" out that hatch

• 3 weeks later...

YES! This mod is working again! I remember seeing this a few months ago but it was depreciated and hadn't been updated for at least a year but its back!

Does it work with any other mods or just stock so far?

Also I noticed on the road map that you said: 

•  Fix gravity changing direction for moving vessels.

But isn't that what is supposed to happen? Or does this mean that space stations are messing with gravity?