[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

On 10/4/2017 at 2:42 AM, steedcrugeon said:

The dev version I last saw was for 1.3 there is nothing (as far as I know) in between the version listed on this thread and the 1.3 dev which  I have been made aware of.

Well, I'm working on updating my things to 1.3 anyways. Can't wait to try out the mod.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to find more time/motivation to work on this lately. Latest progress:

• Working FPS-style controls in gravity and completely free look when in microgravity. There are still some issues with gravity. The values coming from KSP are occasionally tilted or sideways while sitting on the runway, so there's likely some aspect that I'm missing.
  • The basics for needing to remove a helmet to fit through smaller IVAs (Mk 1 aircraft parts mainly).
  • The beginnings of a basic IVA-pressurisation system. Currently just a part module that holds a pressure value with no effects, but the goal is to require having similar pressures between modules to open hatches, needing to depressurise to go on EVA, having negative effects on kerbals without helmets etc. I'll be making this as compatible as possible with failure mods so you can have leaks or accidental depressurisation.
  • A basic object holding/moving system. Click on a nearby object to grab it, then it becomes attached to you, allowing you to move around until you click again.

2 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

I'm starting to find more time/motivation to work on this lately. Latest progress:

• Working FPS-style controls in gravity and completely free look when in microgravity. There are still some issues with gravity. The values coming from KSP are occasionally tilted or sideways while sitting on the runway, so there's likely some aspect that I'm missing.
  • The basics for needing to remove a helmet to fit through smaller IVAs (Mk 1 aircraft parts mainly).
  • The beginnings of a basic IVA-pressurisation system. Currently just a part module that holds a pressure value with no effects, but the goal is to require having similar pressures between modules to open hatches, needing to depressurise to go on EVA, having negative effects on kerbals without helmets etc. I'll be making this as compatible as possible with failure mods so you can have leaks or accidental depressurisation.
  • A basic object holding/moving system. Click on a nearby object to grab it, then it becomes attached to you, allowing you to move around until you click again.

YES!!! This brings tears of joy to my eyes! I am so much looking forward to trying this out when available. Your work is very much appreciated, bringing the game to a whole new level, thanks!

29 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

KWBRLSBEPRJALSBFOGKSJSOGJS

I've been without playing ksp for so long. This is making me want to play for so many hours! The stuff you're working on right now surpass all my expectations.

Thank's for all your mods and all the time you've used to make this game even better. It would be so great for squad to hire you...

:):):)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

Please! Don’t abandon this mod.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11-12-2017 at 11:53 AM, pizzaoverhead said:

Would this be like KAS/KIS, or dependant on those, or something else entirely?

And yes, borderline deranged sounds of excitements from me too!

23 hours ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

Would this be like KAS/KIS, or dependant on those, or something else entirely?

And yes, borderline deranged sounds of excitements from me too!

IVA is pretty different from EVA, so I've had to make a new system to do this. Internally, it's closer to the behaviour of RasterPropMonitor than KAS/KIS. Some integration with RPM may come in future, after this mod is released.

On 12/11/2017 at 4:53 AM, pizzaoverhead said:

YES!! I literally just created an account to say that it's awesome that you started development again! This combined with RPM would be the some of the greatest mods ever. :D

Keep it up, I'm so excited for this!

It's alive?!

IT'S ALIVE

Don't think there's any words in the English language that can accurately summarize the emotion I'm feeling knowing this beautiful thing still exists. This transcends normal happiness

We probably just found the world's most potent antidepressant, somebody find a way to bottle it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@pizzaoverhead CLS basically defines and enforces which parts of a vessel are passable and which parts can be occupied. I think compatibility could be helpful in helping determine where to place your cylinder occlusion things for see through hatches, for example. 

Ping: @Papa_Joe

Edited by Errol

2 hours ago, Errol said:

@pizzaoverhead CLS basically defines and enforces which parts of a vessel are passable and which parts can be occupied. I think compatibility could be helpful in helping determine where to place your cylinder occlusion things for see through hatches, for example. 

Part passability is defined in a Module Manager config file.  CLS comes with a large number of mods supported, either by CLS or by the part mod authors themselves.  There is a wiki on how it works and how to create config files.  While I don't know the IVA mod, I could see where you could interrogate a part to determine if it is passable via a part module that CLS includes, to determine if an IVA view would be needed.

3 hours ago, Errol said:

Hmm... If you go through the hatch into a part that's passable to CLS, but doesn't have its internals fully kitted out with colliders for Free IVA, you'll just drop through the vessel.

A possible solution would be to not let you see or get into the compartment, just bring up a menu: "Take a seat in this compartment / Transfer through this compartment to [attached part 1] / Transfer through this compartment to [attached part 2]".

5 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Hmm... If you go through the hatch into a part that's passable to CLS, but doesn't have its internals fully kitted out with colliders for Free IVA, you'll just drop through the vessel.

A possible solution would be to not let you see or get into the compartment, just bring up a menu: "Take a seat in this compartment / Transfer through this compartment to [attached part 1] / Transfer through this compartment to [attached part 2]".

Yes.  and there is sufficient info coming from CLS to allow you to know if the part can seat kerbals, or is just a pass through.  Of course you can get crew capacity from the base part as well, avoiding the reflection call to CLS

Edited by Papa_Joe

4 hours ago, deadmod said:

just a question, is this mod alive and still in development, or did it die in 2015?

Still alive, still slowly moving forwards. I no longer have the same amount of free time as when I started this project, but I progress it when I can.