[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

I had a strange anomaly using this mod, appeared and disappeared with installation, could be an interaction problem with my other mods, I'm using 64bit Linux OpenGL, mods I could think of that might affect it, Windowshine, scatterer, it only appeared in the flight screen, it looks like a little battery in the left top quarter, you could even get it to highlight.

rgTjLIt.png

On 2/8/2016 at 0:23 AM, selfish_meme said:

I had a strange anomaly using this mod, appeared and disappeared with installation, could be an interaction problem with my other mods, I'm using 64bit Linux OpenGL, mods I could think of that might affect it, Windowshine, scatterer, it only appeared in the flight screen, it looks like a little battery in the left top quarter, you could even get it to highlight.

rgTjLIt.png

I've seen that annoying little **** many a time with this mod. Still have no clue what it does.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2015 at 2:56 AM, FlarpingFlipperFlapper said:

What parts does this mod support? Just stock?  Id like my Apollo capsule from FASA and other mods to make use of this IVA mod.

On 22/12/2015 at 5:36 AM, Matuchkin said:

What mods is this endeavour compatible with? Can you please make it compatible with Cx Aerospace: Station Parts Pack?

It doesn't even support stock yet :) A 3D collision model (convex) needs to be made for the internal by any mod developer that wants to add support to it. I'm adding collision models for the stock ones, but as I'm not a 3D modeller, it takes me a long time. Other mods will have to be done by their owners.

On 12/12/2015 at 6:53 PM, RocketSquid said:

There seems to be an imaginary transparency tube going through the center of every pod, making the walls transparent but the hatches permanently opaque.

That's either a configuration issue with the hatch definitions, or some bug causing an error. The hatch mask starts out life as a cylinder that gets resized to be a disc. It's best just to uninstall the mod if that's the case. Future versions hopefully won't have these kinds of issues.

On 08/02/2016 at 6:23 AM, selfish_meme said:

rgTjLIt.png

On 10/02/2016 at 6:10 AM, Sequinox said:

I've seen that annoying little **** many a time with this mod. Still have no clue what it does.

That is what a GUI window looks like when it encounters an error when attempting to draw it: It just creates an empty box. It's also spamming your log with errors (press Alt+F2 and look at all the red text fly by), which is why your game is running slowly and turning your timer yellow. This mod is still the early phases of development; the download is meant to give you a sense of what the mod could be when it's finished, not something you should have installed in a game you're actively playing. It hasn't been made safe for regular playing, and could quite happily explode your vessels and corrupt your saves if it got an error in the right place. I'd recommend uninstalling it once you've had a bit of fun wandering through your vessels. Things will be much better in future versions :)

On 06/02/2016 at 3:25 AM, Patayyyyyto said:

Is it me, or does the download not work anymore? If anyone has an answer, please inform me. I really want free IVA for meh space station.

Mediafire links have been disabled on the forum. See here for details. Once the mod is ready for a full release, it'll be uploaded to the usual mod repositories.

On 19/01/2016 at 11:52 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Has the new year been busy Pizzaoverhead? It's been quite loaded for myself at least. :rolleyes:

On 07/02/2016 at 2:15 AM, MK3424 said:

Are you still developing this great mod.... Pizzaoverhead?

I'm still at work on this! :) Unfortunately, my free time has dropped from around 20 hours per week to less than 4, so progress has been slow and sporadic. I've spent the past while working on IVA crew transfer, the first real use for IVA movement. Changing seating position of the crew member the camera is currently attached to causes all sorts of errors, with objects including the IVA camera becoming null after the next update. This week I finally found a workaround that doesn't spam errors everywhere, but there's still lots of work needed. In particular, using the V key to change which Kerbal's eyes you are looking through causes lots of issues. I've also spent some time working on adding colliders to stock IVAs, and creating a new first person control system for IVA when in gravity (so you can fall straight down your rocket if you leave the hatches open). Nothing worthy of screenshots lately, just lots of kerbals appearing in the wrong seats or missing their heads.

3 hours ago, Sequinox said:

I never knew what the color changes meant. Care to explain?

The rate at which the physics run is separate from the rate at which the graphics render. Earlier in KSP's history, when your part count was too high, or you had many of the unoptimised tarantula explosions slowing your physics calculations down, it would cause your frame rate to drop to a slideshow. A mod ("lagsbane") proved that it was possible to decouple the physics simulation from the rendering, so Squad implemented a similar change to stock KSP in version 0.18.0. It works by running the physics simulation in slow motion, as slow as is needed to keep an acceptable frame rate. Whenever it's in effect, the timer turns yellow, or red when it's running at its slowest. If you time the launch of a huge vessel with a stopwatch, you can see that by the time you've reached orbit, the Mission Elapsed Timer shows a shorter amount time has passed than what your stopwatch displays. You can choose the slowest you want the game to run by changing the Max Physics Delta Time in the game's settings. The higher it is, the slower the game will be allowed to simulate before it starts reducing your rendering FPS.

TL;DR: If your MET is yellow or red, your game is running slowly due to CPU load.

I like the project your working on. I think it could add alot of features to a game I have an addiction to. I read in this forum your not much of a 3d modeler. If you need a hand I wouldn't mind helpin you out. I'm currently going to school to become a 3d artist and have used Unity before. I'm not a pro by any standard, but working on a project like this for this game would be amazing. Plus it'll be some more experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2016 at 5:31 AM, MK3424 said:

And it seems like the stock version of your mod is looking good: 

A.  Why am I just learning about this mod now.  It should have broken the internet.
B. is the above really from 1.1?
C if from 1.1 unless this is something squad shared isn't this a violation the NDA

Edited by mcirish3

On 20/02/2016 at 7:24 AM, xKage21x said:

I like the project your working on. I think it could add alot of features to a game I have an addiction to. I read in this forum your not much of a 3d modeler. If you need a hand I wouldn't mind helpin you out. I'm currently going to school to become a 3d artist and have used Unity before. I'm not a pro by any standard, but working on a project like this for this game would be amazing. Plus it'll be some more experience.

Thanks! Free IVA is aimed at being modder friendly, so you can build IVAs for whatever parts you want, then release them to be used alongside Free IVA. Have fun and see what you can come up with! :)

On 05/03/2016 at 5:15 PM, astronaut_t said:

Download link does not work!

Thanks, I've removed the old Mediafire link and replaced it with a google drive download.

On 09/03/2016 at 11:31 AM, MK3424 said:

And it seems like the stock version of your mod is looking good: 

7 hours ago, MK3424 said:

Yes it's officiall: ask DasValdez: https://www.twitch.tv/dasvaldez/v/53247671?t=275m0s

That's looking pretty good so far! I'm glad to see Squad taking an interest in developing IVA gameplay. The external views are pretty good for helping them develop IVAs too!

8 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

A.  Why am I just learning about this mod now.  It should have broken the internet.
B. is the above really from 1.1?
C if from 1.1 unless this is something squad shared isn't this a violation the NDA

It's still very much in development without a full release, so there are plenty of bugs and missing features to put a damper on excitement.  Check the Add-on Development forum regularly! There are lots of really exciting work-in-progress mods hidden in there that are still relatively unknown. Have a look at Kerbal Terrain System for example.

6 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

Thanks totally cool.
  @pizzaoverhead  can Kerbals really move round in IVA using your mod?  Either way totally cool MOD as well.

They can! You can open and close hatches too! At the moment, only some parts are compatible and kerbals hover mid-air, but I'm working on a gravity system for them too.

Progress on the gravity system: Kerbals can fall down through the rocket in the next version I'm working on. Future development will include forces from the craft's own acceleration. Try not to leave too many hatches open on the launchpad, otherwise you'll have a long climb back if you lose your footing! Internal fall damage may need to be a thing in future. As this mod is focusing on being as configurable as possible, you'll be able to disable damage. Speaking of losing your footing, due to there being no friction yet, even a slight slope is as slippery as ice, leaving you drifting to the bottom of your craft.

Wait, you're actually devleoping means to apply gravity acceleration on IVA?   O.O

Okay, picture it.  Combine this, Raster Prop Moniter (and mods that add stuff to it), and some form of first person EVA.  Entire missions played through the kerbals' eyes.  Would this not be... just... EPIC?

54 minutes ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

Wait, you're actually devleoping means to apply gravity acceleration on IVA?   O.O

Okay, picture it.  Combine this, Raster Prop Moniter (and mods that add stuff to it), and some form of first person EVA.  Entire missions played through the kerbals' eyes.  Would this not be... just... EPIC?

That's the plan! There are so many things to add, so little time! The goal is to create a platform for other mods to extend, in much the same way that Raster Prop Monitor opened the door to IVA screen interface mods to extend it. I'm sure there are many more ideas for things to do in IVA than I can come up with. For example: Experiments that can only be carried out in IVA, like photographing a celestial body or biome through a window, taking bags of supplies from supply transports and moving them inside the craft, sealing off sections of the craft that are leaking air, explosive decompression, using equipment in different crew positions (e.g. a periscope similar to Soyuz), putting on and changing EVA suits... Their are many possibilities.

7 minutes ago, Tanner Rawlings said:

With the implementation of external view of internals by squad, does/would the system help you in the development of this mod (I figure squad did it to speed up development on their end)

From what I've been able to gather so far, Squad has reached the stage Free IVA was at last year, so it's unlikely to be of any help to this mod. The IVA system has to control all aspects of itself, and Squad generally make the internal workings of their code unusable to modders1, so it's unlikely they'll be able to intermesh. It'll likely be like FAR and the new stock aerodynamics, one or the other.

1There's a Unity bug that causes build times to increase to hours long whenever the project has many public fields.

It's fantastic to see you posting in here again @pizzaoverhead! Just last week I was looking at the old imgur album and wondering whatever was happening with this mod, as well as all your sound overhaul projects.

Are you intending to build in a "clamber" option similar to what we have in EVA? And I know this is probably at least months away, but have you considered whether you might be able to interface with KIS in such a way that allows IVA Kerbals to wear and carry things?

Edited by theonegalen

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - as a first, quick quick guess, do you think 1.1 is going to make this mod easier or harder to implement?

Structural fuselage innards are looking good, btw - perhaps an internal ladder/foot/hand recesses for when you're landed?

Keep up the good work!

20 hours ago, BLUESTREAK said:

Quick question - as a first, quick quick guess, do you think 1.1 is going to make this mod easier or harder to implement?

Structural fuselage innards are looking good, btw - perhaps an internal ladder/foot/hand recesses for when you're landed?

Keep up the good work!

Much harder: I have to update all my other mods before I can start work on this again ;) So many build errors, so little time!

16 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Much harder: I have to update all my other mods before I can start work on this again ;) So many build errors, so little time!

Alas, thought that might be the case. I often wonder how mass mod producers cope with new versions - working out priorities and figuring out what's been broken the most, I assume. Good luck, squish bugs!