[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

I've been following the progress of this and am really excited. Any chance we could have a super-alpha download of what you have now? Thanks for putting so much work into this - it should be more popular.

I really enjoy popping on here every once in a while and being pleasantly surprised to see new images uploaded to the album. Amazing idea that is. :) - Adds a bit of suspense. The commentary is spot on too.

Well there is the wiki entry for kerbals but also consider the Kerbal Mass mod

Great work so far on this

Kerbals weigh 93.75 kilograms.
They weigh 93.75 kg with a EVA suit.

Thanks!

I've been following the progress of this and am really excited. Any chance we could have a super-alpha download of what you have now? Thanks for putting so much work into this - it should be more popular.

New preview in a few hours, assuming nothing breaks badly. I've spent the weekend cleaning things up with that in mind. You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette, so during development there's often things that are left broken while you're getting something else working. During the course of this week I've had hatch holes flipped 90 degrees, the player occasionally being fired 100m from the craft during loading, colliders floating off into the void, parts being completely impassable, lots of Z-fighting, and colliders being confused about what "vertical" means:

6yko35p.png

I7JOsP9.png

(This is still KSP 1.0.4: The "Development build" tag comes as a result of setting KSP up for debugging.)

I really enjoy popping on here every once in a while and being pleasantly surprised to see new images uploaded to the album. Amazing idea that is. :) - Adds a bit of suspense. The commentary is spot on too.

Thanks! I've always enjoyed reading Squad's development blogs, particularly the excitement filled problem-solution ones HarvesteR did early in KSP's development, so I thought I'd return the favour.

Nice.

How long do you think it will take you to cover all of the IVA's in colliders?

Just thinking, if the config file is easy enough to operate you could probably 'hire' a few people to add colliders for you. I'd be up for it :P

Unrelated question, did you see this post I had in your Soundtrack editor thread a while back?

I've been watching this mod since kottabos games reviewed it, and since I used the tech-demo so much now, I felt like it would be appropriate to just say thank you. Being able to move in iva was the very first thing I wanted when playing the game for the first time. This has so much potential. Just imagine planetary base systems supporting this mod, maybe even functional furniture...

So without further talking, thank you!

Just a question (I'm being curious, developing a "graphic novel", to actually have better shots at my kerbals sitting in cockpits):

could it be possible, in a future, to have a "free camera" not linked to a Kerbal? (like it seems, now is the selected one to leave the seat and move around...)

I was thinking it to take pictures of all the kerbals manning a pod/capsule, without leaving empty seats where it should be someone...

Nice.

How long do you think it will take you to cover all of the IVA's in colliders?

With the current tools, it can take hours to cover even a simple IVA. I'll have to make some tools to speed up the creation of the remaining 18 IVA-able parts.

Here's an analysis of each part's state with regard to Free IVA:

• Mk1 Cockpit: No room to IVA, not crew-passible. No idea how to deal with opening cockpits at this point.
  • Mk1 Inline Cockpit: No room to IVA. No way of transferring crew through it in spite of the hatches on the ends. No idea how to deal with opening cockpits at this point.
  • Mk2 Cockpit: No work done yet. Needs a rounded-corner rectangular hatch mesh to be made (could make the IVA hatch's window transparent too!)
  • Mk2 Inline Cockpit: Internal IVA and EVA hatches don't match external model, can't be pathed through in spite of hatches on the ends. Likely can't support this without redesigning the IVA.
  • Mk3 Cockpit: No work done yet. Needs the same hatch as the Mk2 Cockpit. The IVA hatch's window isn't present on the external model, but could be retrofitted. The EVA hatch is a different shape on the outside compared to the inside (just like the real Space Shuttle! :D), so it will need a fancy hatch model made.
  • Mk1 Command Pod: No work done yet. No room to IVA and not crew-passible, but the EVA hatch is already a separate prop! :D
  • Mk1-2 Command Pod: IVA colliders and transfer hatches done. EVA hatch not done. IVA and EVA hatches not present on internal model: Needs hatch models made.
  • Mk1 Lander Can: Hatch mask added. No colliders done. IVA hatch not present on internal model: Needs a hatch model made.
  • Mk2 Lander-can: Hatch mask added. No colliders done. Hatch is slightly smaller on the inside than the outside, but that should be ok (outward opening plug hatch). IVA walls extend beyond the part into the next one, which can look bad. Not sure how to work around this yet.
  • PPD-12 Cupola Module: Hatch mask added. No colliders done. The handle on the hatch is the same prop as all handles inside, so they all disappear when the hatch is open.
  • BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point: Needs simple cylinder IVA model to be made.
  • Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector: Needs complex IVA model to be made.
  • Z-4K Rechargeable Battery Bank: Needs simple cylinder IVA model to be made.
  • Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port: Needs simple cylinder IVA model to be made.
  • Clamp-O-Tron Shielded Docking Port: Needs simple cylinder IVA model to be made.
  • Clamp-O-Tron Sr. Docking Port: Needs simple cylinder IVA model to be made.
  • Inline Clamp-O-Tron: Needs complex IVA model madeto be. May not actually be pressurised (no crew hatches on the ends, but could be replaced with the same end as the Mk1 Inline Cockpit), nor big enough to be passed through.
  • Mk2 Clamp-O-Tron: Needs complex IVA model made with moving parts. Not passable while closed. Mind your head while passing through.
  • PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container: IVA mostly done. Needs model for the EVA hatch.
  • Mk2 Crew Cabin: No work done yet. Needs a rounded-corner rectangular hatch mesh to be made.
  • Mk3 Passenger Module: No work done yet. Needs a rounded-corner rectangular hatch mesh to be made.
  • Not listed: These parts don't appear to be pressurised or crew-traversible (e.g. tanks full of fuel). Alternative parts will be needed to fill these roles, such as Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

Just thinking, if the config file is easy enough to operate you could probably 'hire' a few people to add colliders for you. I'd be up for it :P

The config file is modified by copying and pasting values from the collider tool in the GUI. It'll need to be made easier to use for other mods to add compatibility, but there's nothing stopping anyone from doing this with the current release.

Unrelated question, did you see this post I had in your Soundtrack editor thread a while back?

I missed that one. I've responded in that thread.

Just a question (I'm being curious, developing a "graphic novel", to actually have better shots at my kerbals sitting in cockpits):

could it be possible, in a future, to have a "free camera" not linked to a Kerbal? (like it seems, now is the selected one to leave the seat and move around...)

I was thinking it to take pictures of all the kerbals manning a pod/capsule, without leaving empty seats where it should be someone...

You can do this in the current release by using the Mesh Renderer and Skinned Mesh Renderer controls to make the kerbals visible again. This is a good idea to add to the tool for future use. I'll add it to the todo list.

Already possible, but not via this mod and not without a bit of work

This is silly. I think I'm going to have to throw something together because there is *NO* reason why it should be that much work. Worst-case, we render the IVA camera (or clone) to a texture, and use a new shader to render the IVA view to the window.

This is silly. I think I'm going to have to throw something together because there is *NO* reason why it should be that much work. Worst-case, we render the IVA camera (or clone) to a texture, and use a new shader to render the IVA view to the window.

I'm not sure how useful it would be, but WindowShine already has textures for stock windowed-parts that excludes everything except the windows. Feel free to use any of the textures included in WindowShine if they are of use. The entire texture is still there but transparency is at 1% for everything except the windows. The module manager file in the DL should have a list of all the parts changed in the mod. If I understand the thinking behind this, would you be using transparency to designate camera strength/visibility? This could be a neat feature as you could make some glass more tinted than others. Similar to how I fade the reflectiveness of windows as they near the rims.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I'm not sure how useful it would be, but WindowShine already has textures for stock windowed-parts that excludes everything except the windows. Feel free to use any of the textures included in WindowShine if they are of use. The entire texture is still there but transparency is at 1% for everything except the windows. The module manager file in the DL should have a list of all the parts changed in the mod. If I understand the thinking behind this, would you be using transparency to designate camera strength/visibility? This could be a neat feature as you could make some glass more tinted than others. Similar to how I fade the reflectiveness of windows as they near the rims.

Exactly my thinking.

You can do this in the current release by using the Mesh Renderer and Skinned Mesh Renderer controls to make the kerbals visible again. This is a good idea to add to the tool for future use. I'll add it to the todo list.

I'm fighting to find how to open the setting menu (I did it once by chance but, when I close it - again by chance - it never appeared again).

In the brief look I took in it, I also had difficoult to find the option to let the kerbals chosen to look around to be in the seat: can you pass me a couple of pictures-instructions to do it easily??? Please... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

KSP is all about dealing with engineering challenges, and IVA layout is no exception. If you've placed a hatch in front of a section of hull or on non-occupiable parts like fuel tanks, you'll end up with a situation like this:

I tried to do this, just to see how hard it'd be. It certainly causes some limitations while designing. But along the way I got the following situation:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10P7jx3FySCUxW3tne66Xqvy6tbjs8qmyvUASnMbH2Yc/edit?usp=sharing

What you see here are Hitchhikers that are attached by radial attachment points, but because I have offset the hitchhikers, they wouldn't be accessible though them. In the middle you see structural fuselage parts, with the outside hatch of the hitchhikers facing into the structural fuselage.

I know this was not your intention, but I want to ask if for this part, you could make it so that a crew-able part cuts a hole in this IVA, even if it's not aligned properly or attached radially.