[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

Free IVA! Free as in freedom: Get out of your seat while in IVA, move around inside your craft, open and close hatches.

Free IVA has now been released!

See the main thread here for details:

Features

• Get out of your seat and explore your vessel from the inside.
  • Open hatches and see from one part into the next.
  • Walk around in gravity, or float through your vessel while on orbit.

pmSQwLQ.png

Download from the main thread
[Source Code | Wiki]

If you've enjoyed this, consider donating a cup of coffee to help with late night coding:

btn_donate_LG.gif

Keys:

• Y - Enter free view
  • Alt + Y - Lock view
  • F - Open/Close hatch
  • Alt + F - Open/Close connected hatch
  • W - Forward
  • S - Backward
  • A - Strafe left
  • D - Strafe right
  • Q - Roll counterclockwise
  • E - Roll clockwise
  • Shift - Upward
  • Ctrl - Downward

Questions, comments, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Free IVA is licenced under GPL v2. See LICENSE for details. All sound model and texture assets (.wav, .mu, .dae, .tga etc.) are licensed All Rights Reserved.

Change log

v0.2.1 (2022-10-24)

• Planetside Exploration Technologies Support. See release thread for details:

v0.2.0 (2022-10-11)

• First official release. See release thread for details.

v0.1.0 (2021-03-01)

• Updated for the latest version of KSP.
  • Added jumping

v0.0.4 (2019-02-06)

• Added colliders to Mobile Processing Lab. It should now be possible to move around inside this part without floating through the vessel.
  • Added ability to open and close hatches in Mk. 1 spaceplane parts.
  • Can get into different seats in the same part or different parts.
  • Return to seat on leaving IVA view.
  • Fixed Mk. 1 inline cockpit being too narrow to pass through.
  • Changelog.
Edited by pizzaoverhead
Change download button

On a side note - maybe it would be easier to cut a hatch using alpha texture method? Well, not that I know how KSP handles transparency, but it is usually easier to implement in games.

Edited by sashan

On a side note - maybe it would be easier to cut a hatch using alpha texture method? Well, not that I know how KSP handles transparency, but it is usually easier to implement in games.

My concern is that it would put the alpha channel out of use for anything that already uses it. I may explore this in future and see what, if anything, breaks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Awesome work!

If hatches have already been created as separate meshes, what would you propose for them to work better with your mod? Any issues if the hatches are props, and not part of the IVA model.mu?

Another question is how will this work between IVAs that are connected with docking ports (modded or stock)? would modpack docking ports need to have a void cut out in the bulkhead, or is there another method you are looking into?

My concern is that it would put the alpha channel out of use for anything that already uses it. I may explore this in future and see what, if anything, breaks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, if it is used for transparency then it would be no problem. If it is used for reflectiveness... Then well, you can try using separate mask texture, not sure if it is possible in Unity tho

It should have Gravity limitation on movement. When on a base on Eve, you shouldna just fly around.

That's the end goal, but it likely won't be in the first release. It would necessitate some method of providing hand holds and ladders. I'm not a fan of the idea of losing your craft because everyone's trapped in a heap in the bottom corner :)

Awesome work!

If hatches have already been created as separate meshes, what would you propose for them to work better with your mod? Any issues if the hatches are props, and not part of the IVA model.mu?

Another question is how will this work between IVAs that are connected with docking ports (modded or stock)? would modpack docking ports need to have a void cut out in the bulkhead, or is there another method you are looking into?

They'd have to provide some public method of being toggled or hidden. Props are readily accessible, so that should be fine.

I would consider externally mounted docking ports to be clamping points rather than crew transfer ports, until they're mounted over a crew hatch. You can't bore through all of the science equipment in the Mobile Processing Lab and still have it usable :) The code will be available if anyone wants to create such behaviour however.

I'd also like to add IVAs to crew transfer-capable parts that don't already have them: the HubMax 6-way connector, clamp-o-tron inline, docking ports, Z-4K battery bank and structural fuselage. All but the fuselage have markings indicating they have hatches for crew transfer. It's interesting to note that the Mk1-2 Command Pod and Mk1 Lander Can don't have any hatches in their IVA in spite of their being marked on the outside. I'll be adding hatches to the upper end of both of these as not having them just wouldn't be fun.

I would consider externally mounted docking ports to be clamping points rather than crew transfer ports, until they're mounted over a crew hatch. You can't bore through all of the science equipment in the Mobile Processing Lab and still have it usable :)

I feel the same way about docking port placement :)

cant wait to try this out with my Node1 IVA

U78BgrG.png
Edited by cxg2827
Updated picture

I feel the same way about docking port placement :)

cant wait to try this out with my Node1 IVA

http://i.imgur.com/7Inc0cu.png

Very nice! I can't wait to float through that module! For such detailed hatches, you could do an animated hatch showing the levers turning and the hatch swinging open.

Ooh, can we click on a hatch to open it?

That's the plan! It's early days at this point however. Only yesterday did I reach the point where I believe there are no remaining issues that would make this idea impossible to implement, so there's a lot of work to do to turn it into something actually worthy of being released.

I'm thinking of having an extra crew member where possible on all my missions just so that I can use this to get more unique IVA views that can also include the actual crew, since no other mod out there lets you move the camera in IVA yet

You could create another shader that has an additional mask for the texture that is toggled on open. This would be the way I would do it. Then you could open and close the hatch, and if you used all 4 colors, you could create up to four hatches that could open and close.

Looks promising!

My main concern is with how you're handling internal collisions. Your present approach would definitely work for most stock parts, but some mod crew cabins (such as FusTek):

- are made up of multiple intersecting colliders, which are needed for concave areas

- the internal may be shaped very differently from the exterior colliders (e.g. FusTek modules are round on the outside, but rectangular on the inside with chamfered edges plus some oddly-shaped circular segments for breakout areas)

I'd like to suggest some sort of override feature, where mod authors can specify their own custom internal colliders for their pods.