[Released] Free IVA Alpha v0.2.1 [1.12.x] (2022-11-24)

pizzaoverhead

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

ASET/RPM-style consoles for experiments/comms in the labs?

That would be cool! Being able to move in IVA makes so much extra space to put things. I think it would be cool if you could have an RPM laptop that you could attach to the walls wherever you go to keep an eye on things.

4 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

@pizzaoverhead I have a concern regarding centrifuges more than a request - You know that in order to build a proper centrifuge there has to be curvature in the design. is this going to be a concern with your mod connecting IVA spaces? I.E. parts clipping entrances together and thus disrupting the standard attachments. Do you have a way to get around this? I have a large centrifuge that I built with freeIVA in mind, and I'm curious if you think it would work?

If a kerbal would be able to fit through it in real life (helmet and all), you should have no problem. If you've clipped parts well into each other, such as attaching most parts at 90° to their normal connection point, then you'll have the roof of the next part preventing you from getting to the docking port of the current part. If you clip it too far the other direction, outside of the craft, then there's a risk that you could fall out when passing between sections. It's just another design consideration like aerodynamics or heat. Your design in the video looks fine. It'll just narrow the docking ports slightly, but they already have plenty of room.

9 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

@pizzaoverhead I have a concern regarding centrifuges more than a request - You know that in order to build a proper centrifuge there has to be curvature in the design. is this going to be a concern with your mod connecting IVA spaces?

I may be wrong, but I think @Angel-125 mentioned this concern while designing his new DSEV centrifuge, and I think he overcame it, IF it was indeed an issue...

He mentioned it recently in the last few pages (last couple of months), of the DSEV thread, IIRC

10 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

If a kerbal would be able to fit through it in real life (helmet and all), you should have no problem. If you've clipped parts well into each other, such as attaching most parts at 90° to their normal connection point, then you'll have the roof of the next part preventing you from getting to the docking port of the current part. If you clip it too far the other direction, outside of the craft, then there's a risk that you could fall out when passing between sections. It's just another design consideration like aerodynamics or heat. Your design in the video looks fine. It'll just narrow the docking ports slightly, but they already have plenty of room.

Awesome! :) Sorry for editing the intro to that message so much in post but your answer well clears my worries. In other words you'll punish people for clipping in ways that they probably shouldn't.

EDIT: I might have mentioned this centrifuge before in my messages on 'Spark'. I'm planning on building that centrifuge from scratch from the payload bay of an orbiter, and eventually send it to Laythe.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

6 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

That would be cool! Being able to move in IVA makes so much extra space to put things. I think it would be cool if you could have an RPM laptop that you could attach to the walls wherever you go to keep an eye on things.

Nothke, (later Sumghai, as part of FusTek Station Parts) had started work on a FLEX rack system, but both gave it up for some reason:

Edited by Stone Blue

Will this work with a replaced rpm Iva for compatible command pods? Can you possible share with some people how you're doing this ( people like Roverdude and the like) and maybe they can implement it into their mods? If you got in contact with squad I feel there's a good chance this could make it into the stock game.

Also, what tool are you using to make the internal Iva colliders ? Especially the one where you drag with a mouse? Did you make those tools your self? If possible, could you share them with the community? I would love to use the tool to help you speed up the mod making (I don't even care if you mention me I just really love this idea and would love to see it work) as well as help integrate this into other mods. I have a fair bit of experience with 3d modeling and some unity experience. I could help make the colliders for things like rpm capsules and some popular mods.

Edited by foofie99

• 1 month later...

You know you've got enough boosters when...

e1uiO4S.png

On 12/4/2017 at 3:41 PM, foofie99 said:

Also, what tool are you using to make the internal Iva colliders ? Especially the one where you drag with a mouse? Did you make those tools your self? If possible, could you share them with the community?

It's custom code. It's not particularly usable at the minute: It just creates a box and allows you to type in the size and position of it. If it turns out to be something that's generally useful to the community, I may turn it into something releasable.

12 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

I think the more pressing question is when did they suddenly become props...

Well they've always been known as props but here they appear to be *physical* props with colliders

On 25/5/2017 at 11:53 PM, theonegalen said:

Wait, did all those props fall under physics force?

I'm afraid not. It's a trial of the object mover code, arranged for funs. Here's another one from late 2015: (has it really been that long?)

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Alright. I'm able to exit the seat with Y. But I am unable to get back into the seat. It puts me in the seat for 0.0.5 seconds then just puts me back into the free IVA.

Is this normal?

Edited by Zero Gravity

4 hours ago, Zero Gravity said:

eAlright. I'm able to exit the seat with Y. But I am unable to get back into the seat. It puts me in the seat for 0.0.5 seconds then just puts me back into the free IVA.

Is this normal?

This mod is still in a very buggy pre-alpha state so I'd say yeah. Probably quite normal.

Edited by steedcrugeon

20 hours ago, Zero Gravity said:

Alright. I'm able to exit the seat with Y. But I am unable to get back into the seat. It puts me in the seat for 0.0.5 seconds then just puts me back into the free IVA.

Is this normal?

In KSP 1.0, you should be able to get back into the same seat you left, but the code was quite fragile then (2015), and could be broken by other mods (or a slight breeze). There's been a lot of work done since then that should make it more stable, but it's not yet in a releasable state. If it's KSP 1.3 you're using it with, then all bets are off.

On 2017-4-7 at 3:53 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

In the really long term, there's lots of cool stuff that could be done, like supplies that take up internal space, moving things around, customising IVA equipment and gauges in the VAB, having to put on space suits, explosive decompression etc., but all that fun stuff is quite some time away.

Those are my thoughts for where IVA could be brought. What would you like to see from IVA in an ideal world?

All of that! This is one of my favourite mods to watch the development of; it's fascinating to come back every few months and see how it's going. Internal science experiments would be cool too.

One idea: having ground based "horizontal" versions of the hitchhiker and science labs, or mk3 versions, so you can build sprawling bases and walk around in them with everything correctly oriented for gravity, rather than towers. Mk1 aircraft fuselage without the chairs and tables to create narrow corridors or internal ladders. Aesthetic things like that.

Awesome mod, keep up the good work :)

(Also, generating artificial gravity through spinning the ship/station would be fantastic!)

Edited for fat fingers.

Edited by BLUESTREAK

4 hours ago, BLUESTREAK said:

One idea: having ground based "horizontal" versions of the hitchhiker and science labs, or mk3 versions, ... with everything correctly oriented for gravity, rather than towers.

Well, strictly speaking that'd sort of thing would be accomplished by a part mod, rather than built as part of FreeIVA. Mods like Planetary Base Systems already exist for base building (oriented for gravity) so it's just a matter of having FreeIVA to enable moving through the insides.

True, I was just wondering about compatibility - it would be a bit fourth - wall breaking to be wandering about your base and to suddenly disappear though the floor due to mod incompatibility.

Well, floor breaking rather than wall breaking, but you get my point.

On 6 de abril de 2017 at 1:42 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

Working on it!

ag6wn2n.png

YESSS! KSP 1.2.0 finally??? Really, is that real?? 

On 25 de mayo de 2017 at 6:39 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

e1uiO4S.png

It's custom code. It's not particularly usable at the minute: It just creates a box and allows you to type in the size and position of it. If it turns out to be something that's generally useful to the community, I may turn it into something releasable.

Oh.. And also seats and things inside are interactive?? Wow... I'll definitely put this on stock KSP!

On 5/25/2017 at 11:39 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

e1uiO4S.png

Dude I can't tell you how much your mods help with the level of immersion I can get out of KSP. It honestly adds whole new levels of depth to the game, even just internal cockpit audio muffling e.g. ASE, but this is something else, amazing stuff, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 10:53 AM, pizzaoverhead said:

The gravity system needs all IVA parts to have custom colliders added, otherwise you fall through the craft (and also everything else), so there is a lot of work to be done.

Most likely not the scope of this mod. but to make it alot easier to implement could FreeIVA be required by the Modders to support? it would take pressure off you and could use something like a primitive "panel" collider system(see picture) for intra-IVA collisions. im code-blind so i have no clue what this would take to implement but it seems alot easier to me.

Pics:

Spoiler

pic.png

pic2.png

49 minutes ago, /not/pol/ said:

Most likely not the scope of this mod. but to make it alot easier to implement could FreeIVA be required by the Modders to support? it would take pressure off you and could use something like a primitive "panel" collider system(see picture) for intra-IVA collisions. im code-blind so i have no clue what this would take to implement but it seems alot easier to me.

Pics:

Reveal hidden contents

pic.png

pic2.png

Your statement is accurate. FreeIVA will work much better with support from the original mod author, much easier to take into account at ground level when building the IVA for a model/part

The problem you have here is that IVA's are generally quite time consuming to being with. modelling an exterior part can vary from quick and simple to drawn out and complex, this I soften determined by the level of detail and any animated parts involved. IVA's tend to start at more complicated than the part they are attached to and then get more so as the level of detail goes up, difficulties can arise if you want to end up with an IVA smaller than the part its going in when the part is small to begin with.

Then to add to that, to incorporate FreeIVA compatibility you will need additional physics colliders on your Internal Model (and on the correct layer: 16) as well as colliders for any Props that you may be choosing to use. None of these are beyond the wit of an individual who is already making a model but its an additional consideration that has be taken into account and planned for (that and making sure your bulkhead colliders have a hole large enough to pass a Kerbal though).

Note, colliders need to be thick enough to not let kerbals pass through but also no so thick as to upset the layout/physics of adjacent IVA's

• 2 months later...

Yes, yes. IT is still very slowly in development. @pizzaoverhead has been working on this but there are multiple other projects of his and of course IRL stuff too. There does exist a Dev version of this somewhere (I believe it's on his github repo but could be wrong) but there has not been a release so you are correct that you will not find anything for 1.0 KSP.

Edited by steedcrugeon