[WIP] External Fuel Drop Tanks

Prototype516

This here is a simple part mod that I want to create. Unfortunately, I have absolutely zero experience working in Unity... or with any sort of game development/ modding. So this is completely new to me. Nonetheless, I do have extensive experience with 3D modelling and Photoshop, and consider myself a pretty good modeler. I just struggle with texturing, but that I will overcome for this project.

I spent a lot of time wandering around these forums and reading the guides to modding. So far I have created the models and downloaded what I believe to be the necessary tools needed to complete this project. Next is just implementing it...

The story behind my inspiration is well... i'm tired of making drop tanks out of Oscar fuel tanks and want to have some nice looking tanks for once. I intended this mod to be especially suited to compliment BD Armory. These are roughly based off of real life tanks used by the F-16 and F-15. It was extremely hard finding good detailed reference material and images to go for a fully accurate reproduction.

I just want to show you all what I have so far, as little as that may be, and receive some feedback.

• Is quality up to par?

• Is this a mod that you guys want?

• More styles?

• Other Suggestions?

• Etc.

Based on reception, I may expand more and include tanks from different eras e.g. WWII

lADD2Xxh.png?1

Left to right: Center-line Fuselage Fuel tank (smallest), Mid capacity fuel tank, Largest capacity tank. Capacities are yet to be determined as I may find that I have to re-scale the models after implementation.

They are intended to be larger than the .625 profiles, but smaller than the 1m profiles. That way it's not like just placing any old stock tank and should provide better spacing.

***I would like to note that the far left tank in this image is not complete***

All feedback and recommendations are appreciated.

***Update 24 August 2015***

So, I managed to do a cheap workaround for my issue, only problem is the center of mass is off a bit now. But here are some images of one of the Drop Tanks in game.

Further on down the road I may work on a way to eliminate the need for a decoupler, but at the moment this is the extent of my capabilities... As little as that may be at this time.

Good ol' decoupler and fuel lines.

0dd49184eab8db96eac2c61b8d466149.png

Edited by Prototype516

The tanks look nice. Frankly, they made me think of the MAKS, just like _Augustus_.

I honestly have never even heard of this until you guys mentioned it. I may give it a go after I figure these out. I'm struggling with this as is already.

- - - Updated - - -

***UPDATE***

So, I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I managed to get the model into KSP (Untextured), but it's attachment is all weird. Placing other things on it are not a problem , but when I place the tank, It's got some serious issues. I've fiddled around with the CFG, but for some reason nothing's happening. Should anyone know specifically what is causing this issue, can they direct me to it?

P.S. It is not scaled properly at the moment. I aim to fix that in the meantime.

bd0926a7bd74baf642f7962acff87ab1.png

I honestly have never even heard of this until you guys mentioned it. I may give it a go after I figure these out. I'm struggling with this as is already.

- - - Updated - - -

***UPDATE***

So, I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I managed to get the model into KSP (Untextured), but it's attachment is all weird. Placing other things on it are not a problem , but when I place the tank, It's got some serious issues. I've fiddled around with the CFG, but for some reason nothing's happening. Should anyone know specifically what is causing this issue, can they direct me to it?

P.S. It is not scaled properly at the moment. I aim to fix that in the meantime.

https://i.gyazo.com/bd0926a7bd74baf642f7962acff87ab1.png

The way the thing surface attaches in the editor is determined by the presence of "node_attach = blahblahblah" in the config file. If you don't have one of those, the point the game uses for surface attachment is in the very center of the model (I think), or the position might be related to the origin point of the part in Unity. It *looks* like that's what's happening in the picture.

The way the thing surface attaches in the editor is determined by the presence of "node_attach = blahblahblah" in the config file. If you don't have one of those, the point the game uses for surface attachment is in the very center of the model (I think), or the position might be related to the origin point of the part in Unity. It *looks* like that's what's happening in the picture.

Okay, so currently I only have node_attach. node_stack_top and node_stack_bottom are not in the CFG. I need those as well? I kind of thought that I need those if I want to actually stack parts via nodes as opposed to having it just be surface attachable only.

Okay, so currently I only have node_attach. node_stack_top and node_stack_bottom are not in the CFG. I need those as well? I kind of thought that I need those if I want to actually stack parts via nodes as opposed to having it just be surface attachable only.

Correct, if you want to connect the tanks via nodes to a craft you'll need define them in the cfg. The naming is less important. You could define them as node_attach_mynode f.e..

No, you only need node_Attach.

Also after the MAKS I recommend the Lockheed Star Clipper.

Simplest way is to add a node_attatch_top with the x displacemnt equal to your part radius. I really like what I see but ideally these would be set to drain prior to the other tanks somehow

I managed a workaround for my issue, but now the center of mass is way off, and thus issue still persists. So I may just do that, at least for the time being until I can figure this out and learn more.

As for having them draining first, fuel lines do a good job of that for the moment.

Edited by Prototype516
Forgot some details.

***Update 24 August 2015***

So, I managed to do a cheap workaround for my issue, only problem is the center of mass is off a bit now. But here are some images of one of the Drop Tanks in game.

Further on down the road I may work on a way to eliminate the need for a decoupler, but at the moment this is the extent of my capabilities. Good ol' decoupler and fuel lines.

0dd49184eab8db96eac2c61b8d466149.png

Edited by Prototype516

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.